• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routes that should be valid but aren't

Status
Not open for further replies.

crehld

Established Member
They also swiftly fixed Hellifield to Preston via Lancaster a couple of weeks ago which I'm really happy about :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hassaanhc

Established Member
What about London Euston to Nottingham via Tamworth? Currently requires splitting if you wish to go that way, but doing so saves at least £9 over the very expensive MML prices. Time penalty of I think 60-90 minutes however.

Seeing these cases of improvements in response to passenger comments makes me wonder whether anyone here has experience of trying to get routes added. If for example I wanted to ask them to add the route via Guildford as a permitted one from Reading to Surbiton, how would I set about doing it, and what would the chances of success be?

(The route seems reasonable to me, it's quite often the quickest, and before looking at the routeing guide a few months ago I'd used it many times without anyone querying it, including back in BR days before the RG existed).

RJ

Established Member
What about London Euston to Nottingham via Tamworth? Currently requires splitting if you wish to go that way, but doing so saves at least £9 over the very expensive MML prices. Time penalty of I think 60-90 minutes however.

A fair few routes between London and Chesterfield/Sheffield via Tamworth and Derby were removed a few months ago. I wouldn't hold much hope of London to Nottingham being permitted by that route - the MML or ECML are your lot for permitted routes I think!

ashworth

Established Member
Nottingham area stations to Blackpool North via Leeds seems to have disappeared from the journey planners these past couple of years. It always used to be a valid route. I still sometimes do this route from Hucknall to Blackpool as a change from via Manchester by splitting at Sheffield. This actually works out much cheaper than a through ticket especially if I travel from Hucknall to Sheffield via Worksop. Sheffield to Blackpool via Leeds is still valid and is actually cheaper than via Manchester. I would imagine that most Northern staff between Nottingham and Leeds and Leeds and Blackpool would still see this as a reasonable route and not question it.

Last edited:

PermitToTravel

Established Member
London to Wilmslow via Stockport.

Used to be allowed in BR days, unofficially if not officially.
Technically not allowed by the original routing guide until double-back through Cheadle Hulme was added as an easement a couple of years ago.
More recently has been disallowed again by creating Cheadle Hulme as a routing point (used to be Stockport).
Valid by getting off at Macclesfield, then local service to Cheadle Hulme, local service to Wilmslow.
Or have I misunderstood the routing guide? i welcome thoughts and opinions!

I think this was just an oversight that they forgot to correct when they added the Cheadle Hulme routing point. It's quicker to go via Stockport once per hour

34D

Established Member
Nottingham area stations to Blackpool North via Leeds seems to have disappeared from the journey planners these past couple of years. It always used to be a valid route. I still sometimes do this route from Hucknall to Blackpool as a change from via Manchester by splitting at Sheffield. This actually works out much cheaper than a through ticket especially if I travel from Hucknall to Sheffield via Worksop. Sheffield to Blackpool via Leeds is still valid and is actually cheaper than via Manchester. I would imagine that most Northern staff between Nottingham and Leeds and Leeds and Blackpool would still see this as a reasonable route and not question it.

Indeed. Touched on in this thread re Preston to Nottingham ticket.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Is York Sheffield still not valid via Leeds (otherwise than the direct train rule) or did this get changed?

I've been commuting between York and Sheffield in recent weeks and, for variety's sake, have gone via Harrogate and via Selby in recent weeks without any problems. The only route I'm not sure about is York-Sheffield via Huddersfield, which I believe used to be valid but isn't any more.

DeeGee

On a Friday evening, after work, the fastest route from Grimsby Town to Milton Keynes Central is via Stockport.

Requires two tickets.

Although for one ticket I can go into London, fanny about for hours, and then go on to MK. Effectively two journeys.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
On a Friday evening, after work, the fastest route from Grimsby Town to Milton Keynes Central is via Stockport.

Requires two tickets.
That looks fine to me on a GMB-MKC "NOT VIA LONDON" ticket. Habrough to Milton Keynes is traceable on maps DW+MA. Maybe it wasn't always permitted? If you go via Derby and Birmingham though, it can be quite a bit cheaper to split tickets.

DeeGee

That looks fine to me on a GMB-MKC "NOT VIA LONDON" ticket. Habrough to Milton Keynes is traceable on maps DW+MA. Maybe it wasn't always permitted? If you go via Derby and Birmingham though, it can be quite a bit cheaper to split tickets.

Could it be a recent amendment? Last time I tried that way was, admittedly, in the last fares round, and NRE said I needed two tickets.

I'll have to have a look at the Derby/Brum splits...

kieron

Established Member
Could it be a recent amendment? Last time I tried that way was, admittedly, in the last fares round, and NRE said I needed two tickets.

I'll have to have a look at the Derby/Brum splits...
The maps haven't changed in over two years, and I can't see any relevant easements. There could have been a tweak to the journey planner, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.