• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rugby League

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chapeltom

Established Member
The Jungle is one of those grounds that they don't make anymore, terracing on all four sides, plenty of cover,

If you like those type of grounds then you will love Belle Vue!

I have watched football there, Wakefield v New Mills a few weeks ago, but because I haven't seen rugby there, I'm still probably going to revisit. I've seen football at 9 of the grounds from Super League down to Championship One. Including Keighley's and Oldham's grounds.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Super League 2014 season's opener...

Wigan Warriors 8...Huddersfield Giants 24

Jermaine McGillvery scored a hat-trick of tries for the Giants to make a very big immediate dent in the Wigan euphoria that had been engendered during the close season and the loss of those iconic players such as Sam Tomkins in the close season was seen to be something that now needs to be urgently addressed by Wigan if they are to retain the title they won last year. An attendance of 16,240 on a cold Friday early February night was a tribute to those hardy Rugby League supporters of both sides.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Super League 2014

Widnes Vikings 64...London Broncos 10

Kevin Brown starts off with a hat-trick of tries for Widnes Vikings in this season's opener for these clubs.

I was wondering how London Broncos would fare after the close season administration affair that saw them with only a squad of 12 retained players that then had had a hurried spate of recent signings to increase their playing squad.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Widnes Vikings 32...Salford Red Devils 18

After the euphoria engendered by their very recent remarkable defeat of the Huddersfield Giants, Widnes Vikings were somewhat brought to earth in the first half of this game and were trailing 12-8 at half-time, but the mid-match dressing room tactical talk seemed to work and they were far more impressive in the second period and ended as worthy winners. They have now won all three of this season's Super League matches.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Marwan Koukash, the owner of Salford Red Devils, has confirmed that the interest of his wife in taking over the Bradford Bulls is genuine.

Does this contravene any regulations concerning ownership ?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
**********************************************************************************************

In the Tetley's Challenge Cup (3rd round) there were three matches where the winners scored 70 points or more...not unexpectedly..:cry:

Hull Dockers 6...Halifax 70

Dewsbury 76...West Hull 10

Rochdale 76...Gloucestershire All Golds 4

Last edited:

familyguy99

Challenge Cup Fourth Round Draw.

Huddersfield Giants v St Helens
Dewsbury Rams v Wigan Warriors
Wakefield Trinity Wildcats v Leeds Rhinos
Rochdale Hornets v Leigh Centurions
Batley Bulldogs v Castleford Tigers
Doncaster v Hemel Stags
Keighley Cougars v Barrow Raiders
Featherstone Rovers v North Wales Crusaders
Hull KR v Warrington Wolves
Hull FC v Salford Red Devils
Bradford Bulls v Oldham
Hunslet Hawks v Workington Town
Catalan Dragons v London Broncos
Halifax v Widnes Vikings
Sheffield Eagles v London Skolars
Swinton Lions v York City Knights

Ties to be played on 4th to 6th April

Good draw that for Oldham and I think they would get money for that tie for beaning played at Bradford ground?

Interesting that tie will be played on same weekend as Bradford v Oldham football match in League One too.

Last edited:
Wigan,United Kingdon and Kingswood Nsw, Australia
Enjoyed a trip to the World Club Challenge Allianz Stadium is a beast! (i was on tv :D) Loved Rugby League in Australia One Massive Let down... i Hate and Despise Sydney Horrible layout of a City, Stuck up People, Ice in Pints ... bit of a sh*thole tbh...

I Much Prefer Brisbane and Melbourne if Melbourne had Rugby league and not the awful Yawnion and AFL i'd move there Cant wait this time next week im en-route to Queensland cant wait to be back in the awesome Suncorp Stadium hopefully get some tickets for the Origin Games and Maybe Anzac to

Chuffed with the Fixtures will probably go to Warrington away on Thursday :)

Statto

Established Member
Enjoyed a trip to the World Club Challenge Allianz Stadium is a beast! (i was on tv :D) Loved Rugby League in Australia One Massive Let down... i Hate and Despise Sydney Horrible layout of a City, Stuck up People, Ice in Pints ... bit of a sh*thole tbh...

I Much Prefer Brisbane and Melbourne if Melbourne had Rugby league and not the awful Yawnion and AFL i'd move there Cant wait this time next week im en-route to Queensland cant wait to be back in the awesome Suncorp Stadium hopefully get some tickets for the Origin Games and Maybe Anzac to

Chuffed with the Fixtures will probably go to Warrington away on Thursday :)

I take it you've not heard of the NRL team Melbourne Storm. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Storm

I've heard of the Storm they play at the Excellent Aami Park where it is actually primarily called a League Stadium surprisingly... only Problem is the fans don't really like League in Melbourne it's AFL country there... and the Stadium is a bit Small it reminds me of a nice version of the Reebok/DW.. Luckily i'm heading For Brisbane and The GC (Robina) for Bronco's and Titans Games (Looking forward to Broncos/Sydney on friday btw will be a great after show after the Wigan-Warrington Game)

The Size of Melbourne and The Population you'd expect a second team there? i think this would get the passion up a bit more... it works for the A-League now there are the Victory and the Heart(less) and Also in Sydney with The FC and Western Sydney Wanderers.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Warrington Wolves 4...Wigan Warriors 12

On a slippery pitch in wet conditions at the Halliwell Jones stadium, this mid-week match was somewhat not of the quality hoped for, being a repeat meeting of last season's Grand Final and Wigan scored two tries to only one by Warrington.

Warrington Lost far to much Talent in the close season and Lee Briers to lol.

Watched a Violent Wests vs Souths Game this morning 5 players on report and Burgess got Sinbinned. Wests won 25-16 with ex Wigan winger Pat Richards scoring in the corner and The Broncos lost 30-26 to the Roosters at Suncorp thanks to Roosters actually playing for the full 80 incstead of the Bronco's
Hull FC 0 - 7 Widnes Vikings
Hull KR 16 - 0 Bradford Bulls
Salford Red Devils 23 - 16 Castleford Tigers
Wakefield Wildcats 16 - 24 St Helens
Catalan Dragons 30 - 14 Huddersfield Giants
Leeds Rhinos 54 - 6 London Broncos
Warrington Wolves 4 - 12 Wigan Warriors

Shock wins for Widnes and Catalans this week and a rare Wigan victory at the HJ Very interesting Superleague this year

I attended Brisbane v Parramatta last Friday at Suncorp phenomenal stadium think of an improved version of the Millennium.. only problem was the Brisbane fans they just lacked any passion compared to UK fans. I hope the international rfl don't regret giving Brisbane two games in the four nations.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Salford Red Devil's appointment of Iestyn Harris as their new head coach will be quite a challenge, as the club owner is ruthless in his ambition to drive the club forward.

Bradford Bulls 24...Salford Red Devils 38

It was quite a good start for Iestyn Harris in his role as the new Salford Red Devils head coach, as seven different Salford players scored tries in this away victory.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Wigan Warriors 84...Bradford Bulls 6

The season looks really bad now for Bradford Bulls who still are bottom with a minus 2 points haul as a result of an applied stricture. Wigan ran in no less than 15 tries and were far superior in all aspects of the game.

Draw for the quarter-finals of the Challenge Cup

Wigan Warriors v. Castleford Tigers
Leeds Rhinos v. Leigh Centurions
Bradford Bulls v. Warrington Wolves
Widnes Vikings v. Keighley Cougars.
****************************************************************************************************

Leeds Rhinos 28...Wigan Warriors 12

Leeds Rhinos scored five tries in this win that takes them to the top of the Super League.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Suer League

Catalan Dragons 46...Bradford Bulls 4

Catalan Dragons scored eight tries in this emphatic Super League victory over a poor Bradford Bulls side, whose season continues to be one to forget.

********************************************************************************************

Super League

St Helens 32...Salford Red Devils 12

Iestyn Harries has now only one of the last eight Super League games played by Salford Red Devils since taking over from Brian Noble. In this seemingly easy match, St Helens ran in five tries and this result sees St Helens taking over as league leaders, following the surprise 24-6 defeat of the high-flying Leeds Rhinos by fifth placed Warrington Wolves.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
You forgot the best and most important one of all Paul!!

Warrington Wolves 24-4 Leeds Rhinos

I most certainly did not...See the final part of my posting, which incidentally has the CORRECT score of 24-6..:D

Still, it is good to see that someone else has an interest in Rugby League. Posting contributions to this thread are always welcome.

As expected the mid-table Super League match played on Friday saw the Widnes Vikings share the points with the Catalan Dragons 26-26.

Last edited:

Established Member
I most certainly did not...See the final part of my posting, which incidentally has the CORRECT score of 24-6..:D

Still, it is good to see that someone else has an interest in Rugby League. Posting contributions to this thread are always welcome.

As expected the mid-table Super League match played on Friday saw the Widnes Vikings share the points with the Catalan Dragons 26-26.

Edited!! I'm a Warrington fan by the way, as you may have worked out from my post:)

Probably because it wasn't in bold why I didn't notice it.

Last edited:

Chapeltom

Established Member
I'm a Sheffield Eagles fan, Whitehaven away tomorrow but I cannot get there and the supporters bus got cancelled due to lack of demand. Our 13th game, and the 4th league game I will have missed. Swinton/Batley away and Leigh at home, wimped out as I knew we'd get hammered (and I have a season ticket :oops: )

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Challenge Cup...Quarter Final

Wigan Warriors 4...Castleford Tigers 16

Castleford Tigers once again showed how much they have improved this season and I really enjoyed my armchair view of the televised match (medically being unable to make match visits to any sport) and I really was surprised by the insipid Wigan team performance level, considering that they are the current holders of the Challenge Cup.
************************************************************************************************

Bradford Bulls have had their appeal against the six point deduction imposed by the Rugby Football League, for entering into administration twice in two years, rejected by an independent panel.

This was not an unexpected decision, noting that the organising body is determined to bring a strong club discipline into the Super League game.
*****************************************************************************************

Super League

Wigan Warriors 46...Castleford Tigers 6

In comparison to the inept Wigan performance at home in the Challenge Cup quarter final which saw them lose to the same opponents only a matter of a few days previously 4-16, this eight try Wigan victory saw some confidence returning to the team. A pity that such a team effort was not seen during the cup match.
In a reversal of the current trend for League players to join the Union game, after a three year spell at Saracens in which he won three full International Union caps in 2013, Joel Tompkins has now made a welcome return to the squad at Wigan Warriors.
In a reversal of the current trend for League players to join the Union game, after a three year spell at Saracens in which he won three full International Union caps in 2013, Joel Tompkins has now made a welcome return to the squad at Wigan Warriors.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Super League

Wigan Warriors 12.....St Helens 16

The Friday night match was the long-standing "derby" match between these two teams and it was St Helens who took their chances better in the first-half, which left them just far enough in front before Wigan staged a late comeback.
Warrington Wolves 50...Bradford Bulls 24

The Sunday match saw Warrington Wolves run in nine tries and consolidated their 5th league position.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Huddersfield Giants 10....Salford Red Devils 36

Huddersfield Giants suffered a shock home Super League defeat to Salford Red Devils, who had six of their players scoring a try, despite finishing the game with only 12 players. Iestyn Harris seemed a very relieved Salford coach at the end of the game, as their results have left much to be desired this season.

Salford Red Devils 35...Hull FC 22

Another victory by Salford Red Devils in which they scored six tries to attempt to consolidate their Super League status.
***********************************************************************************************

Warrington Wolves 72...London Broncos 12

Warrington Wolves registered their 10th successive win, with Joel Monaghan scoring four of the 13 tries in a very one-side match that confirmed that London Broncos, after being a member of top flight for years, will be relegated to the Championship next season.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Challenge Cup....Semi Final

Leeds Rhinos 24...Warrington Wolves 16

Leeds Rhinos put in a strong first-half performance which showed them going in 14-0 up at half time, then Warrington Wolves scored three second-half tries to close the margin, but an excellent interception try by Leeds Rhinos saw them clinch their place in the final.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
St Helens 12...Warrington Wolves 39

After St Helens went into an early 6-0 lead in the hoped-for celebratory win to confirm the Championship Shield, Warrington Wolves certainly spoilt the party by running in no less than seven tries.

familyguy99

Oldham Roughyeds are only 80 mins away from promotion after they beat Hunslet and York in Play off round, the Play off final will take place next Sunday (5th Oct) where Oldham will once again meet Hunslet or York at Headingley for places in Kingstone Press Championship division.

Oswyntail

Established Member
Castleford are having a nightmare season end, losing the cup final, just missing out on the League, and now out of the play-offs. Catalan, on the other hand, have found away form at the best time.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I see that Salford Red Devils have taken the opportunity to sign the 22 year old prop Carl Foster from St Helens.
***************************************************************************************************

Super League semi-finals

St Helens 30...Catalan Dragons 12

Wigan Warriors 16...Warrington Wolves 12

This will mean a Super League Grand Final clash between two old foes which should see a packed house.