• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rugby Union

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'd been over watching the cricket (congrats to Gloucestershire on winning the One Day Cup) and tuned in for the final few minutes and wow what an unexpected result! Unbelievable! That final try in overtime was absolutely excellent as well. The way they dragged the Springboks one way and then back again to make a gap was sublime.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

backontrack

Established Member
I wrote Japan off after the Strauss try, amazing to see them make up the ground. We have our upset!

France vs Italy would be good but shame that it clashes with Doctor Who!

Antman

Established Member
I wrote Japan off after the Strauss try, amazing to see them make up the ground. We have our upset!

France vs Italy would be good but shame that it clashes with Doctor Who!

Some strange scheduling that there is now a two day break just a few days into the tournament?

richw

Veteran Member
Some strange scheduling that there is now a two day break just a few days into the tournament?

Always the same with the rugby World Cup. Maximise games at weekends with very few games in the week. Opens it up to greater audiences.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It's been a very interesting weekend of rugby. Unfortunately, keeping track of all the games has left me with very little time for anything else!

Japan have certainly given the minnows in the competition something to try and emulate. I wouldn't fancy being in Scotland' shoes now, either!

I'm glad of a couple of days rest before the next round of games :)

Antman

Established Member
Always the same with the rugby World Cup. Maximise games at weekends with very few games in the week. Opens it up to greater audiences.

I suppose that makes sense although just as it was gaining moment there's a break, anyway so far so good:D

Johnuk123

Established Member
The All Blacks will obviously win this world cup, didn't look that convincing yesterday but still better than anybody else.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

You also need to consider the rest periods needed by the players as realistically they can't play two matches a week like footballers do.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So are our Scottish supporting members looking forward to their match against Japan tomorrow? Will Scotland be able to halt the giant slaying Brave Blossoms charge? :lol:

richw

Veteran Member
It's been a very interesting weekend of rugby. Unfortunately, keeping track of all the games has left me with very little time for anything else!

Japan have certainly given the minnows in the competition something to try and emulate. I wouldn't fancy being in Scotland' shoes now, either!

I'm glad of a couple of days rest before the next round of games :)

So are our Scottish supporting members looking forward to their match against Japan tomorrow? Will Scotland be able to halt the giant slaying Brave Blossoms charge? :lol:

I don't think Scotland will have a problem beating Japan. Japan will be physically and possibly mentally worn out with such a short turn around, Scotland will be fresh.

None of the major professional leagues that I can think of would ever play 2 competitive games in a week, so players will not generally be used to have games 3 days apart.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don't think Scotland will have a problem beating Japan. Japan will be physically and possibly mentally worn out with such a short turn around, Scotland will be fresh.

You're probably right but still, it must be niggling around in the back of their minds...

backontrack

Established Member
COME ON SCOTLAND! :P

FT: Scotland 45 10 Japan

Scotland tries: Hardie, Bennett (2), Russell, Seymour
Scotland cons: Laidlaw (4)
Scotland pens: Laidlaw (4)

Japan tries: Mafi
Japan cons: Gorumaru
Japan pens: Gorumaru

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member

This is one of the few predictions I've got right so far :D

andrew bell

who else thought Bennett's 1st try yesterday should of at least gone to the TMO. I managed to pause it at the time the ball was down and I would of said his foot was already in touch, but it would of been marginal call

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So Greenback, with the injuries the Welsh team sustained prior to and during this World Cup, are you available if the call comes down?

backontrack

Established Member
Here's what I posted earlier not squashed under a video:

On a more serious note, looks like Hallam Amos, Scott Williams and Liam Williams are injured. Despite this, Wales are only four points down. They're doing well.

Tipuric comes on for Lydiate - but Jonathan Davies is over the line. There could be a Welsh try...

...IT'S A TRY! England 25-25 Wales (Try - Davies, Con - Biggar)

AND A PENALTY! Wales lead 28-25.

George Ford kicks into touch, England want the try...but now Wales has a lineout. Two minutes left.

They've done it! WALES BEAT ENGLAND 28-25 AT TWICKENHAM. :D:D:D

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
So Greenback, with the injuries the Welsh team sustained prior to and during this World Cup, are you available if the call comes down?

Gatland has already given me a call, but I had to point out that my promising career was ended at 16 by a series of ankle injuries. Warren said that even with a dodgy ankle and approaching 50, I am better than Aaron Jarvis, and fitter than Adam Jones, but he was unable to coax me back on to the field.

:D

Butts

Veteran Member
Another 5 Points for Scotland , at half time it was looking a bit dodgy !!

Surely South Africa will put them to the sword in their next fixture :p

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I hope that Scotland will surprise us in the same way that Wales did. They are looking better than they have done for quite a while.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Gatland has already given me a call, but I had to point out that my promising career was ended at 16 by a series of ankle injuries. Warren said that even with a dodgy ankle and approaching 50, I am better than Aaron Jarvis, and fitter than Adam Jones, but he was unable to coax me back on to the field.

:D

i am tempted to see if i can find any welsh ancestry and offer myself up for selection. I can play anywhere along the front row ;)

richw

Veteran Member
i am tempted to see if i can find any welsh ancestry and offer myself up for selection. I can play anywhere along the front row ;)

I have Welsh ancestry, and currently prop/second row in Cornwall Two. They are dropping so fast I'm waiting on a call!

Johnuk123

Established Member
Truly shocking by England, Lancaster has to go and so must quite a few players.
Unfortunately we have become serial bottlers in big games and to lose 2 games at Twickenham is unforgiveable.
ITV won't be pleased as all the part-time rugby fans have now finished watching it.

Last edited: