• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rule 55 (Requirement to contact signaller if standing for long period of time) - Is there a modern equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyersey468

Established Member
I was listening to the Signals to Danger podcast on the Quintinshill crash earlier on and it got me wondering, I know most local signal boxes are now gone but is there an equivalent to Rule 55 in the modern railway rulebook?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterY

Established Member
Can someone explain in layman terms, rule 55? Also what is a SG button?

Railsigns

Established Member
The current equivalent of the old Rule 55 is Rule Book module S4, "Trains or shunting movements detained on running lines".

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
And if of interest, a white diamond on the signal post would indicate to the driver that the signal was exempt from Rule 55 as a train would activate a track circuit, or other detection device to inform the signalman of its presence. In a former box I was acquainted with, a buzzer would sound

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Rule 55 was known as Rule K3 in the 1970s, according to the Kitchenside and Williams signalling book.

LAX54

Established Member
after all the years we have had GSM-R now, still do not know why it's named SG ! (SiG I know ! LOL )

Sheridan

after all the years we have had GSM-R now, still do not know why it's named SG ! (SiG I know ! LOL )
I was told it was StandinG (sort of makes sense to have the first and last letters of the word, as that’s how many signal numbers are formed as well), but I’m not sure that’s entirely reliable.

LAX54

Established Member
I was told it was StandinG (sort of makes sense to have the first and last letters of the word, as that’s how many signal numbers are formed as well), but I’m not sure that’s entirely reliable.
Signalmen are Good :)

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Can someone explain in layman terms, rule 55? Also what is a SG button?
Rule 55 essentially required a driver or other member of the crew to contact the signalman (generally by walking to the signalbox) if his
train was delayed at a signal for a significant time (usually three minutes). The rule was there to ensure the signalman didn't forget the train was there and set up a conflicting move. Failure to observe the rule led to accidents such as Hawes Junction (1910) and Quintinshill (1915), in both of which an express train was signalled through a section despite a stationary train standing at one of the signals. At Hawes Junction the forgotten train (actually a pair of locomotives) moved off when the signal cleared, but were quickly caught up and rear-ended by the following express. At Quintinshill a local train had been shunted to the "wrong" road to allow a faster train to overtake, but the signalman (who had actually arrived on that very train to start his shift) then forgot about it and signalled a train through in the opposite direction. The carnage was added to when the train that was to have overtaken the local appeared on the scene moments later.
In these days of track circuits, and power signal boxes miles from the signals they control, the rule is largely obsolete.

Last edited:

Interestingly major stations and areas where trains stable on running / platform lines from my experience are nearly (can't think of exceptions) track circuit detection even if that means they are surrounded by axle counters. I understand the reasoning is that if the axle counters are reset or failure happens a train could be forgotten about like Quintinshill. With track circuit block once the circuits are back up and running all trains should show automatically on the signallers panel.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Interestingly major stations and areas where trains stable on running / platform lines from my experience are nearly (can't think of exceptions) track circuit detection even if that means they are surrounded by axle counters. I understand the reasoning is that if the axle counters are reset or failure happens a train could be forgotten about like Quintinshill. With track circuit block once the circuits are back up and running all trains should show automatically on the signallers panel.
Another possible reason is that if a train stops with a wheel over an axle counter, it may trigger a spurious detection so that the sections either side fail to clear when the train moves away. I believe this was the reason the platforms at Nottingham have track circuits when the rest of the area has axle counters. However, with newer installations there is a system to clear both the sections if the train registers the appropriate number of axles when passing over the next axle counter.

Incidentally it's referred to as track circuit block even if the actual detection of trains is by axle counters.

Railsigns

Established Member
King's Cross is a good example of a large station with axle counter train detection throughout.

Nicks

This reminded me that as a passenger it was always interesting to see/hear the driver get out of the cab, climb down onto the lineside and use the signal phone - I assume the phone was always answered immediately (none of that modern disease of "all our lines are busy"!). Is there any reason now for a driver to leave their cab during a journey (excluding emergency reasons or to stretch their legs at a lengthy station stop)?

GB

Established Member
If the GSM-R wasn't working or in a black spot you would still use the signal post telephones.

Railsigns

Established Member
Is there any reason now for a driver to leave their cab during a journey (excluding emergency reasons or to stretch their legs at a lengthy station stop)?
There are some routes where drivers must leave their cab to operate a token instrument or plunger etc.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
This reminded me that as a passenger it was always interesting to see/hear the driver get out of the cab, climb down onto the lineside and use the signal phone - I assume the phone was always answered immediately (none of that modern disease of "all our lines are busy"!). Is there any reason now for a driver to leave their cab during a journey (excluding emergency reasons or to stretch their legs at a lengthy station stop)?
The phone would be answered unless the signaller is already on the phone to someone else, or was on the toilet etc

Annetts key

Established Member
Keep in mind that in the past, the driver was required to use a signal post telephone (SPT) in preference to using a National Radio Network (NRN) telephone. This is because (normally) each SPT has a unique indicator in the signal box / signalling centre so the signaller can see which SPT is ringing. Whereas the NRN called on a general railway telephone line.

There have been various different SPT systems in the past, some did have engaged tones (if the system was busy due to the signaller talking to another SPT user), but now most will give you a ringing tone until the signaller answers.

The vast majority of SPTs are ‘direct line’ telephones, and no, there is no call queuing. The signaller chooses which call to answer.

Now that NRN is dead and GSM-R is king, the instruction that the SPT should be used first is also long dead. Now drivers use GSM-R in preference to using SPTs.

More on NRN here (link to the ‘Farewell to the NRN’ article by Peter Stanton on the Rail Engineer site).

norbitonflyer

Established Member
In the report of the Clapham Junction disaster, the driver of the first train, having passed a signal which had gone to red right in front of him, was on the phone to the signalman to report it but was having difficulty convincing the signalman that his train existed because the track circuit was showing clear. What neither of them realised was that there were actually two vanished trains in that section, until the driver at the signalpost reported that his train had been hit from behind.

GSM-R followed SMA & CSR nomenclature

S=Standing
G=Signal

If the GSM-R wasn't working or in a black spot you would still use the signal post telephones.
More than likely the SPT would not work

tonysk14

From the good old days!

"During fog or falling snow, to the signal box you go."

Status
Not open for further replies.