• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Running late no ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could now be on their watchlist and possibly stopped tomorrow or whenever they spot you again, the fact that you may or may not buy a ticket tonight would not be enough to stop you being prosecuted for your actions this morning.

It really depends on what actually happened this morning.

How do you mean, would you expand? I wasn't stopped today, I walked right past two (I think, I didn't actually see them as it was fairly dark) under the underpass, and there was a bike and a couple of others and I think one said "Hey" but that's all. I didn't really hear and I was going fairly quickly. I think they're there most days now and I showed my ticket the other morning. So it's possible they'll recognise me from then?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Not unlikely, impossible.
I don't expect this to happen, but if the OP was 'clocked' and stopped on his return to the station this evening they could get his details. This could be followed by a Byelaw 18.2 prosecution for failing to stop and present their ticket when requested.

So it's not impossible, just very unlikely.

Hello there fellow travellers. Well I bought my tickets, and explained to the conductor what had happened. No harm done. If they see me tomorrow then I can show my tickets I bought at the station. I think having a bad day and feeling particularly foolish means I will be extra vigilent. Hope you have good evenings and thank you for your advice and input even if some of it left me a little bemused!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I will update this tomorrow with more information after I get my train if I travel that way, I may have a driving lesson but if not I will see what happens.

najaB

Veteran Member
I will update this tomorrow with more information after I get my train if I travel that way, I may have a driving lesson but if not I will see what happens.
As per my original reply to you, I doubt very much that anything will come of it. Just remember to stop and buy your ticket in future. :)

DaleCooper

Established Member
I'm currently learning to drive, running a car will be a significant saving as it will cost less than the accumulated train fare.

You may be disappointed if you think that driving to work is going to save money, when you consider tax, insurance, servicing and petrol, never mind the cost of the car itself, you'll probably be spending more than £3.80 a day.

najaB

Veteran Member
... when you consider tax, insurance, servicing and petrol, never mind the cost of the car itself, you'll probably be spending more than £3.80 a day.
You can spend twice that in parking if there's none at your workplace.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It is much more common 'down south' but I have seen it with Edinburgh commuters as well.

Seconded, It was also common for folk to leave a bike at Inverkeithing and at Dalmeny when the Forth Road Bridge was shut recently.

As to bike enforcement, yes it does happen but we do try to accommodate as many bikes as we can within the limits of specific train types, that said I had to refuse one today but took no pleasure in that as I'm a cyclist myself.

tony6499

How do you mean, would you expand? I wasn't stopped today, I walked right past two (I think, I didn't actually see them as it was fairly dark) under the underpass, and there was a bike and a couple of others and I think one said "Hey" but that's all. I didn't really hear and I was going fairly quickly. I think they're there most days now and I showed my ticket the other morning. So it's possible they'll recognise me from then?

It depends on what you actually did this morning, you admit to rushing past and saying you're late, the inspectors have memories and despite you buying a ticket tonight you still committed an offence.

Chew Chew

Hello there fellow travellers. Well I bought my tickets, and explained to the conductor what had happened. No harm done. If they see me tomorrow then I can show my tickets I bought at the station. I think having a bad day and feeling particularly foolish means I will be extra vigilent. Hope you have good evenings and thank you for your advice and input even if some of it left me a little bemused!

So you still never bought a ticket before you got on the train to go home this evening despite what happened in the morning or have I misunderstood and you bought the ticket before you boarded and explained what happened once on the train?

Either way I don't understand why you are giving out admissions of guilt. You had a valid ticket to get home with and that is all they would have worried about.

Last edited:

Phil.

Established Member
I don't expect this to happen, but if the OP was 'clocked' and stopped on his return to the station this evening they could get his details. This could be followed by a Byelaw 18.2 prosecution for failing to stop and present their ticket when requested.

So it's not impossible, just very unlikely.

The question was, "Can they still prosecute me without my details".
No "they" can't. You must have at least a name for a prosecution case. Several cases that I know of have been dismissed because a person hauled before a magistrate has refused to give their name.

So you still never bought a ticket before you got on the train to go home this evening despite what happened in the morning or have I misunderstood and you bought the ticket before you boarded and explained what happened once on the train?

Either way I don't understand why you are giving out admissions of guilt. You had a valid ticket to get home with and that is all they would have worried about.

I bought my tickets to go home at the train station. I bought a return and explained to the conductor when they checked them on the train. Sorry if that wasn't clear. There is a machine at the train station but no one to buy them off. So I purchased a return from the other station instead. And regardless of what you are saying the people who run the trains are understanding.

najaB

Veteran Member
The question was, "Can they still prosecute me without my details". No "they" can't.
Okay, yes you are correct - the answer to the question as asked was no.

I was providing the OP the information he actually needed which was an answer to "Am I at risk of prosecution?"

Silly me for trying to actually be helpful.

Okay, yes you are correct - the answer to the question as asked was no.

I was providing the OP the information he actually needed which was an answer to "Am I at risk of prosecution?"

Silly me for trying to actually be helpful.

You were being helpful!
Saw the same guards this morning, they were very friendly, they recognised me from the other day when they'd seen my ticket, and no problems as I had my ticket today. That seems to be all they care about, the ticket of the day and manners. Which is pretty good.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Several cases that I know of have been dismissed because a person hauled before a magistrate has refused to give their name.

This would be known as "dumb insolence" in the forces and was severely frowned upon. Could this be seen as "contempt of court"?

Historically the punishment for refusing to speak or give a plea in a court case was to have rocks piled up on your chest until you gave a plea or you expired - I'm sure that no cases have been thrown out because the accused has refused to provide their name - as they would be incarcerated at the bench's pleasure until they saw sense. The case may be thrown out subsequent to that due to any number of various factors though.......

Llanigraham

On Moderation
This would be known as "dumb insolence" in the forces and was severely frowned upon. Could this be seen as "contempt of court"?

Historically the punishment for refusing to speak or give a plea in a court case was to have rocks piled up on your chest until you gave a plea or you expired - I'm sure that no cases have been thrown out because the accused has refused to provide their name - as they would be incarcerated at the bench's pleasure until they saw sense. The case may be thrown out subsequent to that due to any number of various factors though.......

I was presenting a case many years ago where the Defendant refused to confirm his identity and the Magistrates had him put in the Holding Cells for Contempt for a couple of hours until he changed his mind.
And his fine at the end of the case appeared to be much higher than we normally got!!

Status
Not open for further replies.