• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Russian invasion of Ukraine - Could this affect international travel to Eastern Europe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR 444

Established Member
Just as the Covid pandemic is ending, we now seem to have another elephant in the room that could impact the recovery of the aviation sector. Me and a friend were planning on taking a short break to the Czech Republic later this year, however with the news regarding the Russian invasion of Ukraine, my friend is now hesitant to go there. I can understand why considering the country is in the general Eastern European area, although CZ itself does not have a border with Ukraine and I am not convinced that the area we were planning to visit will be affected by this. Do you think I should reassure my friend that it is safe to go there, or should we consider going somewhere else just as a precaution?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Just as the Covid pandemic is ending, we now seem to have another elephant in the room that could impact the recovery of the aviation sector. Me and a friend were planning on taking a short break to the Czech Republic later this year, however with the news regarding the Russian invasion of Ukraine, my friend is now hesitant to go there. I can understand why considering the country is in the general Eastern European area, although CZ itself does not have a border with Ukraine and I am not convinced that the area we were planning to visit will be affected by this. Do you think I should reassure my friend that it is safe to go there, or should we consider going somewhere else just as a precaution?
I really really can't see this spreading further than Ukraine, Putin is not going to start a war with NATO.

jha4ceb

I can understand why one might be a bit worried about going to somewhere close to Ukraine like Suceava, Košice or Rzeszów (though I agree with YorkshireBear that it's very unlikely to extend beyond Ukraine). But I don't think it's justified to worry about areas that aren't close to a border, let alone countries that don't even border Ukraine.

DanNCL

Established Member
I suspect the most this’ll mean is that through trains from the EU to Chop and Lviv will go no further than Zahony/Cierna nad Tisou and Przemysl respectively.

the sniper

Established Member

If they're worried about going to the Czech Republic, they should probably be worried about being here too. I'm not sure that'd be reassuring for your friend though! :lol:

Chester1

Established Member
If they're worried about going to the Czech Republic, they should probably be worried about being here too. I'm not sure that'd be reassuring for your friend though! :lol:

I wouldn't be worried about going to Czech republic in relation to security but eastern europe may well see 5 million refugees according to UN estimate. That will put transport and other infrastructure under immense pressure. Czech Republic doesn't have a border with Ukraine but many people will pass through the neighbouring, going further into EU.

route101

Established Member
A friend is is worried about his holiday to Florida in April because of this, never mind CZ.

alistairlees

Established Member
Czech Republic / Czechia is not in Eastern Europe anyway - it’s in Central Europe.

SeanG

Established Member
I'm off to Hungary, Slovakia and Czechia in the next few weeks. I am not in the slightest bit concerned about going. I appreciate that there will be refugees etc and that is awful, and expect the trains heading west may be busy, so I have made seat reservations just in case. However, this is the only thing that I have changed to what I was doing anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.