• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sad news from C2C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
I would have thought you would have posted your condolences rather than be interested in what train it was. No chance up until now, so I'm recording my condolences.

And you will note that I did do so... I was curious to know what train he was working given the DOO debate

cjmillsnun

Established Member
If it were me Id be claiming but asking for a cheque to be paid to his foalks or put towards giving him a good propper sendoff

First off

RIP Drive. My thoughts are with his or her family.

To answer your statement. Most company pensions offer a death in service payment.

Zoidberg

Established Member

To answer your statement. Most company pensions offer a death in service payment.

No question was asked. All the member was advocating was that Delay Repay could be claimed and directed towards the family. A nice thought.

And I can do no more than echo the sentiments of earlier posters and offer my condolences to the driver's family and friends.

Last edited:

chris11256

There is now a suggestion on Twitter to name a train after the driver. I think that'd be rather nice.

DasLunatic

Still, I do feel for the poor bugger, can think of far better places to spend my last moments in this domain than at the controls of a train. No doubt the family will be devastated. It would devastate me more if I wasn't by the side of my loved ones at a moment like that. RIP

But on the flip side, he died doing something I presume he enjoys - driving trains.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
This must, thankfully, be a very rare occurrence.
When I was a schoolkid, so a long time ago, I was waiting for a bus to school which didn't turn up. It transpired that the driver had had a heart attack and died and subsequently the bus had crashed through a fence into a back garden. Given that the location was the A2 Rochester Way, it was very fortunate that no-one got injured (the bus was almost empty at the time).

Johncleesefan

RIP driver! Sad news and my condolences, has it been confirmed the cause of death? And yes it certainly makes you appreciate the safety systems we have

Crossover

Established Member
RIP to the driver and condolences to their family and friends
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Very sad news indeed... Most likely never had them as a driver, but its still sad to hear about.

With respect, I know there was no accident involved here, but will the rail regulators do an investigation at all?

On the latter note, I wouldn't have thought there would be anything for the rail regulators to investigate - there was nothing untoward from the railway viewpoint and the on board systems did what they were meant to - it was just an unfortunate set of circumstances

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If it were me Id be claiming but asking for a cheque to be paid to his foalks or put towards giving him a good propper sendoff

I actually think that's a quite interesting idea that I never thought of myself before, and a very nice gesture.

It is always a tragic event whenever it happens, but from what I saw it was a pretty quick event, so at least the poor bugger didn't suffer too much of an agonising passing. I cannot imagine what was going through the other driver's mind when he was told to stop alongside and check.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
On the latter note, I wouldn't have thought there would be anything for the rail regulators to investigate - there was nothing untoward from the railway viewpoint and the on board systems did what they were meant to - it was just an unfortunate set of circumstances

I understand, but normally when something happens, they would investigate. of course, this was natural death, so far as we know, so I was wondering if they would investigate with regards to maybe some factor of the job causing the fatal heart attack.

Last edited:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
R.I.P. to the driver. Would the driver of the other train investigation have been told it's a possible medical incident or would they just get told to stop by the cab of the other train and report to the signalman what's going on?

Nippy

I would expect the driver was told the other train had stopped out if course and that the DSD alarm had been activated. The signalman wouldn't have known the nature of the incident until then.

168lover

R.I.P. to the driver. Would the driver of the other train investigation have been told it's a possible medical incident or would they just get told to stop by the cab of the other train and report to the signalman what's going on?

Signaller probably didn't know what was going on. He/she would have seen a train in a section for a long time, would try to contact the driver, not be able to then would of got another driver to assess the situation.

RIP driver

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I understand, but normally when something happens, they would investigate. of course, this was natural death, so far as we know, so I was wondering if they would investigate with regards to maybe some factor of the job causing the fatal heart attack.

If the death was unexpected, then I understand the law normally requires a post-mortem. I don't expect any railway investigation would take place unless the post-mortem revealed either a medical condition caused by the work or something that the company's routine medicals should have picked up. Or perhaps if there was any sort of mis-handling of the incident by the industry - which there doesn't seem to be any evidence to suggest.

Condolences to family and friends of the driver.

Jala_150

Signaller probably didn't know what was going on. He/she would have seen a train in a section for a long time, would try to contact the driver, not be able to then would of got another driver to assess the situation.

RIP driver

RIP Drive

Signaller likely received an emergency call, if the DSD is not reset after around 6 seconds an emergency brake application is made, if still not reset after around 1 minute an emergency call to the signaller is made. (at least on the traction I sign anyway)

Last edited:

theironroad

Established Member
Condolences to the driver's family,friends and work mates.

I guess the signaller received a DSD alarm and although these happen occasionally due to technical faults, I'm sure he or she was thinking this could be a real alarm, and that means the driver is incapacitated in some way.

Last edited:

duncanp

Established Member
There is now an article about this on the BBC News website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36149074

A 56-year-old train driver died after suffering a suspected heart attack as he pulled into Barking station.
Father-of-two Steve Jones, who was based at the East Ham depot, died on Monday night.
According to c2c, Mr Jones' foot came off the safety pedal as the train was travelling at about 6mph during the approach to the station.
It stopped automatically and other trains in the area were also halted as a signaller tried to contact Mr Jones.

Another driver paused to investigate and an ambulance was called, but paramedics were unable to resuscitate him.
Mark Daniels, a fellow driver and official with drivers' union Aslef, said his fellow member was "a great work colleague who will be missed.
"It is with a heavy heart that we say goodbye to one of our own at the young age of fifty-six. Steve Jones was one of the proud railwaymen to start under British Rail.
"He will be a character lost from the mess room. RIP Jonesy."
C2c delivery director Kevin Frazer said: "The thoughts of all of Steve's colleagues and friends at c2c are with his family at this difficult time."
A c2c spokesman told the BBC that drivers of Mr Jones' age had a company health check every five years and Mr Jones had passed his less than two years earlier.

OneOffDave

If ever my friends or I claim Delay Repay from a fatality, we always donate it to The Samaritans as we feel that way a little good can come out of the event.

I know I'd be looking for an appropriate place to donate any repayment if I'd been affected by a similar event to this tragic one

sjoram

Last edited:

Latecomer

Thoughts to the drivers family and also best wishes to his poor colleague who had the responsibility of checking and assessing this distressing scene while maintaining responsibility for their own train and passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.