• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sad times when all hst's are gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

nat67

Established Member
I shall miss the HSTs. I've loved them since my first ride on one from Kings Cross to Darlington back in 1980. They were the height of luxury compared to the Class 302s I was used to.

Having lost so much rolling stock that I loved as a youngster, my advice to all enthusiasts is to get out and enjoy them while you can. Time stops for none of us.
Very true, I'm planning to get some LNER ones tomorrow and EMT on Sunday so fingers crossed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

delt1c

Established Member
Was a Sad day when the Deltics , Westerns, Hymeks, Peaks and much more went, but that is progress. The HST's were not loved straight away it took time, who on here remembers the bitter smell inside under heavy braking.

delt1c

Established Member
You can still get that now a days with any HST decelerating from 125 mph to about 50 mph.
Not as potent as when sitting at the coach ends in their early days, your nose was left burning

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I've never had my drink spontaneously launch itself across the carriage from a seat back table on a mk 3. The same can't be said for the mk 4's !
That was my point! Mk4s have always ridden worse than HSTs, I'd even go as far as saying that, given a straight run on continuously welded rail, a Pacer at 75mph rides better than Mk4s at 125mph. If it's one with the Northern Spirit "car seats" it'll be more comfortable in every way, and worth taking almost twice as long to get wherever I'm going!

humbersidejim

That was my point! Mk4s have always ridden worse than HSTs, I'd even go as far as saying that, given a straight run on continuously welded rail, a Pacer at 75mph rides better than Mk4s at 125mph. If it's one with the Northern Spirit "car seats" it'll be more comfortable in every way, and worth taking almost twice as long to get wherever I'm going!

Funny how things are on the eye of the beholder, my experience is the complete opposite.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Of course, in EMT first, it doesn't really matter so much what the ride's like when you're sat back in your armchair !

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I find the Mark 4 much superior. After my last experience, I'm now keen to avoid LNER HSTs whenever I can.

I don't use LNER HST's so much, so I mighn't have experienced their amended ride qualities ! I've never noticed any issue with them in the past though.

Harbornite

Established Member
What about the lighting, its ridiculously bright. If I was travelling long distance at night I would never sleep and feel as if I had hang over on an IET. At least on HST's there half lighting which is much smoother on the eyes.

In your opinion. I'd say the IET's interior lighting is better.

nat67

Established Member
It looks like LNER want to get there first 9 car IET'sa in service as quick as possible. And the first casualty is NL65 the hire in EMT HST which works the Leeds/Hull diagram.

Was a Sad day when the Deltics , Westerns, Hymeks, Peaks and much more went, but that is progress. The HST's were not loved straight away it took time, who on here remembers the bitter smell inside under heavy braking.
I for one despised HSTs as they were displacing my beloved Deltics on the ECML, which I spent the last few years chasing all over the place. But then I grew up a bit and realised that professing to despise a piece of machinery is no way to win friends and influence people...

I will miss the LNER HSTs, for me the the occasional bit of rough riding, squeaky gangways and the way the wheels scream at high speed is all part of their quirky charm.

What I'm most concerned about is whether my seat on an Azoooooooma from Aberdeen to King's Cross will give me a view out of the window? I always reserve seats in advance, to get the best fare... if HB ends up staring at a window pillar for 7 hours then he is not going to be a happy punter.

(And yes, I remember the stench of the brake blocks before they changed them for a different type. As you rightly say, delt1c, it was far worse in the early days)

Last edited:

Journeyman

Established Member
I for one despised HSTs as they were displacing my beloved Deltics on the ECML, which I spent the last few years chasing all over the place. But then I grew up a bit and realised that professing to despise a piece of machinery is no way to win friends and influence people...

This is what annoys me about all the irrational defence of HSTs, which are now dated and increasingly unreliable pieces of kit that aren't providing the quality of service people now expect.

Feel free to miss them - the sight and sound of a Valenta-engined set at speed is something that completely over-awed me when I was a kid - but don't pretend you've always loved them, and don't pretend the design is absolute perfection, and that every train before and after is terrible in comparison.

thejuggler

30+ years ago I used long distance rail far more than I do now - whether going up and down on the ECML or Sheffield St Pancras - 125, Yorkshire to Gloucester on Cross Country service -125, GWR from Gloucester to London - 125!

I've spent days on them and agree the brakes used to stink the carriages out.

delt1c

Established Member
This is what annoys me about all the irrational defence of HSTs, which are now dated and increasingly unreliable pieces of kit that aren't providing the quality of service people now expect.

Feel free to miss them - the sight and sound of a Valenta-engined set at speed is something that completely over-awed me when I was a kid - but don't pretend you've always loved them, and don't pretend the design is absolute perfection, and that every train before and after is terrible in comparison.
Sorry but Yes we loved them from Day, we didnt like that they had displaced our beloved Deltics, but that is life. They were way ahead of the Deltic and MkII air con sets in comfort , ride and ambience. However where they really have shown there design and build quality is in the fact that here over 40 years later they are still providing the excellent service and ambience they gave all those years ago. Shame that draught beer is no longer available in the Buffet.
You had to be there in the 70's to experience the transition they brought. Dont think any train before or since has been such a milestone. Even more so when you think they were a late stop gap due to problems with APTE and electrification.
So folks come on , they may be getting on in years ( arent er all) but give them the respect they deserve

Rail Blues

transition they brought. Dont think any train before or since has been such a milestone. Even more so when you think they were a late stop gap due to problems with APTE and electrification.
So folks come on , they may be getting on in years ( arent er all) but give them the respect they deserve

Respect? Give over! They're inanimate lumps of metal on wheels not a beloved but elderly family member. I wasn't born in the 70s, so i have no interest whether they were better/worse than Deltics, i only really care about the journey quality they offer now. Just like 99.9999% of passengers who use them.

I will miss the LNER HSTs, for me the the occasional bit of rough riding, squeaky gangways and the way the wheels scream at high speed is all part of their quirky charm

That's because you are looking at them from the perspective of an enthusiast, nothing wrong with that per se, but what is 'quirky charm' is just uncomfortable and irritating for the vast majority of passagers. They're getting long in rhe tooth amd the best place for them is probably the scrapyard and/or railtours.

delt1c

Established Member
Respect? Give over! They're inanimate lumps of metal on wheels not a beloved but elderly family member. I wasn't born in the 70s, so i have no interest whether they were better/worse than Deltics, i only really care about the journey quality they offer now. Just like 99.9999% of passengers who use them.

They set new standards. way ahead of anything else available, lumps of metal they be, the human body

That's because you are looking at them from the perspective of an enthusiast, nothing wrong with that per se, but what is 'quirky charm' is just uncomfortable and irritating for the vast majority of passagers. They're getting long in rhe tooth amd the best place for them is probably the scrapyard and/or railtours.

based on that Philosophy , all trains , carriages < units fall into that category, so what is your rail interests?

Rail Blues

based on that Philosophy , all trains , carriages < units fall into that category, so what is your rail interests

As it goes I'm interested in the railway of today and I'm excited to see how it develops in the future with things like alternative fuek technologies, Ertms, the development of a high speed rail network connecting cities and light rail for mass transit in city centres. I get excited by rhe future possibilities of rail rather than a rose tinted longing for the past.

I am not emotionally attached to any particular piece of rolling stock and see them in utilitarian terms.

I'm not saying heritage and nostalgia don't have a place, but that place is preserved lines and museums.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Well, we didn't ask for "thou shalt always install rock hard seats in every new train" to be adopted by the railway industry as a sort of eleventh commandment.

Come up with a carriage as comfortable as an EMT 1st mk 3 and I might be won over.

In terms of everything before being 'terrible', this has never been a view to which I have subscribed. A phase 1 CIG or thumper for example could also be lovely to travel on.

Craig2601

The regional trains in Italy sometimes produce a horrible smell when braking, I imagine it’s similar to the HSTs.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
What I'm most concerned about is whether my seat on an Azoooooooma from Aberdeen to King's Cross will give me a view out of the window? I always reserve seats in advance, to get the best fare... if HB ends up staring at a window pillar for 7 hours then he is not going to be a happy punter.

If the seating layout on the LNER IETs is identical to that of the GWR fleet, you probably won't have a problem - the vast majority of seats have a very decent view.

Kite159

Veteran Member
If the seating layout on the LNER IETs is identical to that of the GWR fleet, you probably won't have a problem - the vast majority of seats have a very decent view.

And it isn't like the LNER HSTs have perfect seat alignment either with some seats having a lovely view of a pillar.

Status
Not open for further replies.