• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Santander Branches to close

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntea

Established Member
My old bank (HSBC) used to have a foyer of self service machines that could be accessed even when the bank was closed, but they soon stopped that when they started getting vandalised! (Surprised they couldn't come up with a door entry system so only HSBC card holders could access)

Internet Banking these days is so simple though, although sadly app quality can vary by bank! TSB is a good one (despite their IT problems last year), you don't even need to have to carry around some stupid security dongle these days either as you can use TouchID fingerprint authentication to log in.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
My old bank (HSBC) used to have a foyer of self service machines that could be accessed even when the bank was closed, but they soon stopped that when they started getting vandalised! (Surprised they couldn't come up with a door entry system so only HSBC card holders could access)

Given that some banks actually do have that, I fear an excuse :)

Internet Banking these days is so simple though, although sadly app quality can vary by bank! TSB is a good one (despite their IT problems last year), you don't even need to have to carry around some stupid security dongle these days either as you can use TouchID fingerprint authentication to log in.

Those stupid dongles / passcode devices are one of the direct reasons for me switching to Monzo.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Yeah, about bank safety, like keeping your password safe, using long passwords...
Maybe it's a new thing... or old.
Still forces you to go in instead of being able to open wholly online.

Cheers and I'm not sure why that couldn't be done online either. It would be just as easy, if not easier to provide a link on the banks website.

56 1/2

Metrobank print out debit cards in branch so if you lose your card you can get it replaced in minutes.
Barclays offered the same service in a few selected branches, but when I needed it they had concentrated the service into flagship city center branches surrounded by yellow lines, there were still a few smaller branches on suburban and small town parades, were Barclays so dumb that they could not work out that those who needed urgent replacements would be driving and that the aforesaid small branches were the easiest to use.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Yeah, about bank safety, like keeping your password safe, using long passwords...
Maybe it's a new thing... or old.
Still forces you to go in instead of being able to open wholly online.

Yet it doesn't warn about Lloyds charging ridiculous (albeit legal) overdraft charges and making regular requests for you to come in for an informal 'account review' where they'll try and take all your money for life insurance, house insurance, credit cards, packaged accounts and whatever they think they can sell you!!

I am so glad to have ditched Lloyds after so many years, and switching to Starling bank (I also have an account with Revolut which was quite revolut-ionary for foreign travel with no fees and interbank exchange rates, plus the ability to change your PIN with ease, lock the card entirely and various other security measures - including not allowing payments in a country unless you (your phone) is there).

The traditional banks certainly need to catch up.

R G NOW.

Does anybody remember those girocheques that used to be sent for the payment of benefits?. Now all done by transfer to a bank or post office account.

gswindale

Yet it doesn't warn about Lloyds charging ridiculous (albeit legal) overdraft charges and making regular requests for you to come in for an informal 'account review' where they'll try and take all your money for life insurance, house insurance, credit cards, packaged accounts and whatever they think they can sell you!!

I am so glad to have ditched Lloyds after so many years, and switching to Starling bank (I also have an account with Revolut which was quite revolut-ionary for foreign travel with no fees and interbank exchange rates, plus the ability to change your PIN with ease, lock the card entirely and various other security measures - including not allowing payments in a country unless you (your phone) is there).

I've been with Lloyds since 199x and have never had an "informal account review"! Maybe it is just me, but they seem happy that my current account, credit card and savings account are with them and don't try to sell me any extras.

Only issue with the credit card is that I'll be losing the American Express element of it shortly, but I think they're going to give extra avios on the MasterCard to previously to compensate a bit.

radamfi

Established Member

I've only had a Lloyds account since they started offering decent interest (about 10 years ago) and other perks such as free cinema tickets and haven't had any problems. I haven't paid any charges because I am organised enough to avoid going into the red. Having said that, the interest rate has dropped substantially and is now on a par with online savings accounts so it is only being kept for the free cinema tickets. I've also got an account with Revolut but it offers no interest so it is only used for transferring to and from the euro bank account and most of the time I keep balances of £1 and 1 euro. That's the problem with these modern banks. They may be cool and have fancy features which might be useful occasionally but if they aren't going to pay interest I won't leave money with them. Especially now that retailers accept credit cards with no fee. There is therefore almost no reason to use "modern bank" debit cards because you will miss out on cashback. So you can't take advantage of the mobile notifications they offer.

PeterC

Established Member
Funnily enough I run a business dealing with both other businesses and private individuals. Every single business pays us electronically, and the vast majority of private customers post us a cheque, even the younger ones. I find it really strange considering that we're constantly told how today's young do everything on their iphones. I can understand if the OAPS send cheque, but in fact, most of my OAP clients pay online now. I must have a weird customer base I guess!
Don't forget that the people who did the first developments on online systems are hitting retirement age. There are a lot of tech savvy OAPs about.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I've only had a Lloyds account since they started offering decent interest (about 10 years ago) and other perks such as free cinema tickets and haven't had any problems. I haven't paid any charges because I am organised enough to avoid going into the red.

But a lot of people aren't, or had authorised overdrafts and went from paying a fairly reasonable interest rate to eye-watering daily charges. The increase was amazing and recently they've increased it further, yet are within the rules - but have come in for a lot of criticism that I expect they've banked on not impacting them too much (especially as those in an overdraft may not have the funds to clear it with such high costs).

I used to have a packaged account for the travel insurance and breakdown cover and nothing else, but the annual cost was more than buying separately. I also hated having to call every year to get Lloyds to update my account to continue being paid interest, as for some reason it expires annually. Naturally they won't remind you. Tactics I'd consider more akin to Ryanair. But, of course, they weren't breaking any laws...

Revolut offers a daily insurance that's GPS based, so you only pay (automatically) when you go abroad.

At the moment these fintech companies seem to be really kicking things up IMO.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
What is the logic behind the establishment and continued growth of the Metrobank chain? They have very long opening hours and open 7 days a week.

It's not just Metrobank who are expanding their branch network, the Swedish owned Handelsbanken now have over 200 branches in the UK. They don't seem to advertise much at all, relying on word of mouth, and reading about them it looks like they are offering sensible banking "like it used to be".

jon0844

Veteran Member
Wow, I didn't even know they had set up in the UK, let alone 200 branches.

Typhoon

Established Member
Wow, I didn't even know they had set up in the UK, let alone 200 branches.
I can only speak for two branches I am aware of in Kent, one is on the 9th floor of an office block and the other is in a small office block near Canterbury East Station (so not in the town centre). So not 'shop window' banking - I don't even know if you can just drop in.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I can only speak for two branches I am aware of in Kent, one is on the 9th floor of an office block and the other is in a small office block near Canterbury East Station (so not in the town centre). So not 'shop window' banking - I don't even know if you can just drop in.

FWIW I can see that I might want that style of banking as a business (where in many cases a bank is as much of an investor as a provider of financial services), but I don't see why I'd have any interest (ha!) in it as a consumer. I don't want my financial affairs pouring over, and if I did I'd be best seeing an independent financial advisor anyway. I just want it to *work*.

Typhoon

Established Member
FWIW I can see that I might want that style of banking as a business (where in many cases a bank is as much of an investor as a provider of financial services), but I don't see why I'd have any interest (ha!) in it as a consumer. I don't want my financial affairs pouring over, and if I did I'd be best seeing an independent financial advisor anyway. I just want it to *work*.
Sure. Because their branches are 'hidden' away, they are anonymous so the average person would not be aware of their existence in contrast to another newcomer, Metrobank, with their florescent logo. I suppose Handelsbanken is halfway between the traditional high street bank and banks like Monzo and Starling in that there is a branch (which is really just an office) which can be used as a backstop if you need it - you can talk to someone face to face if you want to discuss something maybe out of the ordinary.

I understand what you mean by not wanting your financial affairs pouring over - half the time bank staff are nothing more than sales people. It is none of their business why I have a certain amount of money in my account or are withdrawing a certain sum and I get irritated that they can't understand why I find such questions almost offensive.

PeterC

Established Member
I understand what you mean by not wanting your financial affairs pouring over - half the time bank staff are nothing more than sales people. It is none of their business why I have a certain amount of money in my account or are withdrawing a certain sum and I get irritated that they can't understand why I find such questions almost offensive.
Complain to your MP, it is their business as required by parliament.

whhistle

On Moderation
I've only had a Lloyds account since they started offering decent interest (about 10 years ago) and other perks such as free cinema tickets and haven't had any problems.

That's the problem with these modern banks. They may be cool and have fancy features which might be useful occasionally but if they aren't going to pay interest I won't leave money with them. Especially now that retailers accept credit cards with no fee. There is therefore almost no reason to use "modern bank" debit cards because you will miss out on cashback. So you can't take advantage of the mobile notifications they offer.
Lloyds don't offer free cinema tickets anymore so that's a moot point.
Plus, advising people to use credit cards isn't always the best advice as they are an easy way to debt.
How do you know you'll have enough in your account to cover your credit card payment? Doesn't it get confusing not knowing exactly how much money you actually have? I see merit in credit cards, completely, but not for every day spending.

I guess you're old school and the idea of keeping your money in your account as long as possible is your game.
The measily interest rates of these days mean there's no point in doing that.

It is none of their business why I have a certain amount of money in my account or are withdrawing a certain sum and I get irritated that they can't understand why I find such questions almost offensive.
Because *some* people blame the bank if they're taking out £5000 to give to a builder who runs off with the money.
"It's the banks fault as they let me take out the money without asking any questions" - so now we all suffer and can't just have our money... unless you say you want to close the account.

radamfi

Established Member
Lloyds don't offer free cinema tickets anymore so that's a moot point.
Plus, advising people to use credit cards isn't always the best advice as they are an easy way to debt.
How do you know you'll have enough in your account to cover your credit card payment? Doesn't it get confusing not knowing exactly how much money you actually have? I see merit in credit cards, completely, but not for every day spending.

I guess you're old school and the idea of keeping your money in your account as long as possible is your game.
The measily interest rates of these days mean there's no point in doing that.

https://www.lloydsbank.com/current-accounts/all-accounts/club-lloyds.asp

Each year you can choose either 6 cinema tickets, an annual magazine subscription, or annual Gourmet Society membership

I can honestly say that I have never spent more using credit cards than I would have done using debit cards. I maintain a spreadsheet containing all my stock market investments, peer to peer lending, savings accounts, current accounts and credit cards and so it makes no different to my net worth whether I have spent on a credit card or debit card, except I would miss out on cashback if I used a debit card. There is a credit card statement every month so it is trivial to transfer the relevant amount of money to cover the payment.

Obviously most of my money is in share based investments, but you have to have some money in cash so it makes sense to get the best rate possible. Just looking at my top paying current accounts now, last month TSB gave £6.23 interest on £1,500 and Tesco gave £7.32 interest on £3,000. That's over £150 a year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Killingworth

Established Member
The money laundering laws only require them to investigate large or unusual sums, not to ask lots of questions day to day which are clearly for the purposes of sales.

The banks have found themselves in a situation they can't get out of. 60 years ago, when Captain Mainwaring's type of banking was still the norm, banks took in and paid out masses of cash. Branches processed all the cheques and made the standing orders. Direct debits, cashpoint cards, credit cards and the use of computers were slowly being planned but it wasn't until the late 1960s that they began to change the traditional branch banking.

With computers, cards and the internet the staff of the average branch bank of 60 years ago now have very little to do and the big offices are far too big for them.

The era of selling largely insurance based products was supposed to fill that space. Laws on financial advice were supposed to protect consumers but may have had the opposite effect as independent advice was too costly to provide for a mass market.

The payment protection scandal went on too long and was part of the scrabble for profit to keep the branches going.

Money laundering legislation means banks can now face very big fines if they miss laundered funds. Early attempts to monitor unusual transactions clearly also got used for sales purposes. It's supposed to have stopped. We have recently passed some large legitimate transactions through our accounts recently. No questions have been asked even though large balances have been seen. Both our traditional banks have not reacted to what I'd have expected to be sales prompts only a few years ago.

That's probably why the branches are closing more rapidly. Less selling, little cash to count, no transactions to process, less for staff to do, no need for so many staff, no need for expensive high street branches. Turn out the lights!

cjp

That's probably why the branches are closing more rapidly. Less selling, little cash to count, no transactions to process, less for staff to do, no need for so many staff, no need for expensive high street branches. Turn out the lights!

All that you say is true. It is a measure of how society is changing with reducing human interactions
Maximising profits in a faceless way which is welcomed by shareholders who do what with their extra money? It is welcomed by users who gain extra pennies saved or corner shop ATMs and so it prgresses with the current issue of even ATMs being withdrawn due to lack of use or insufficent profits.
Banks love what is happening and Big Brother loves what is happening. To me it is just another indicator of the changing mores of society. It comes down to what is the purpose of life ones goals which seem more and more to be the search for the basics of live. Bread and Circuses. With those at the top be it business politician perhaps even wealthy increasing their wealth power or position whilst us ,the plebs, get just enough to keep us happy and compliant just enough is of course a variable and measured by ones own perception. For example a person on benefits may be happy with a £150 increase a shop worker with £1000 a driver £4000 a citybanker with £400,000 A nurse with €1400 and a CEO with £14,000,000..

Me all I asked for was a localish bank branch I could go into to serve my needs.
Which us too much to ask for whilst profits are being pursued

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Me all I asked for was a localish bank branch I could go into to serve my needs.

Which is a poor way of interpreting the requirement. Most people need banking services. But time spent dealing with banking services is not time well spent in my view - I want my banking to be transparent and immediate, hence Monzo. There really isn't any benefit to having to go into a bank and deposit a stack of cheques when you could instead receive that money effortlessly via a BACS transfer, for instance. There also isn't any benefit in going into a bank to pay your gas bill or a post office to post a cheque when it can be paid automatically by Direct Debit (or BACS if you prefer the control of pushing the "send" button yourself).

However, if there is a market for that kind of service I don't object to anyone having it and paying for it. Perhaps consider Metro Bank or Handelsbanken? Or seek recommendations for a good independent financial advisor?

underbank

Established Member

But what "needs" can't be met by phone or online service instead? Why, exactly, do you need "face to face" on your local High Street in expensive premises? I've done all my banking by phone or online for probably the past 20 years, and it's many years since I went to a branch.

I far prefer not having to deal face to face. Likewise, when I go to supermarkets or Argos, I use the self-service tills. I'd rather buy online from the likes of Amazon rather than traipsing around the High Street. I've not gone into a travel agent for probably 15 years as I always find and book holidays online. I find "face to face" more stressful and time consuming, as usually, the person I find myself dealing with in person doesn't have the skills to deal with what I need as the days are long gone when you could find real "experts" on the High Street, whether banks, shops or travel agents due to dumbing down. The more interesting fact is that I have bought far more goods and services by being able to research/buy online than I ever would have done in the old fashioned High Street, so my spending has increased, thus improving the economy in the big scheme of things.

cjp

Which is a poor way of interpreting the requirement. Most people need banking services. But time spent dealing with banking services is not time well spent in my view - I want my banking to be transparent and immediate, hence Monzo. There really isn't any benefit to having to go into a bank and deposit a stack of cheques when you could instead receive that money effortlessly via a BACS transfer, for instance. There also isn't any benefit in going into a bank to pay your gas bill or a post office to post a cheque when it can be paid automatically by Direct Debit (or BACS if you prefer the control of pushing the "send" button yourself).

However, if there is a market for that kind of service I don't object to anyone having it and paying for it. Perhaps consider Metro Bank or Handelsbanken? Or seek recommendations for a good independent financial advisor?

I have a Starling Bank account which serves a need but I also want what Santander are now stopping to swell their margins.
If I am Luddite liking cash and wantin human service and being trampled on in the name of impersonal profit so be it but I do not have to like it and I have made my views known on this forum and in branch

I can do no more.

Last edited:

underbank

Established Member
If I am Luddite liking cash and wantin human service and being trampled on in the name of impersonal profit so be it but I do not have to like it and I have made my views known on this forum and in branch

It's not just the firms making more profit though is it? We are all benefitting from lower prices/costs. Compared to 35 years ago when I got my first job, car etc, today's prices across the board are far cheaper, so the consumer is benefitting too!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I have a Starling Bank account which serves a need but I also want what Santander are now stopping to swell their margins.

I can do no more.

Well, you can, switch to a bank whose business model is branch banking - Metro Bank. Because the demand for this is limited, however, you may find you have to travel a bit to reach one of their premises.

If there is substantial demand for branch banking they will do well and spread. However, I suspect you are in a tiny minority. Personally, I am better served by as much of my banking as possible requiring no intervention at all. And even when things go wrong, am I better off having to go into a branch to discuss fraud having seen a stack of it on my monthly statement, or that I block my Monzo card within seconds of the first dodgy transaction popping up?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's not just the firms making more profit though is it? We are all benefitting from lower prices/costs. Compared to 35 years ago when I got my first job, car etc, today's prices across the board are far cheaper, so the consumer is benefitting too!

Well, precisely. And as I said most people are not interested in conducting business in a bank branch - I have not set foot in one for about 20 years and have no desire to do so. There is no longer the loyalty there was, so if you want advice on specific financial products an independent financial advisor is the way to get it, not a bank branch.

cjp

I refer you to my response 111 above.

Standards for all do usually increase but for those higher in the food chain the increase is much larger (at the expense of those lower down the food chain with little or no choice or fewer options In our grasp)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I refer you to my response 111 above.

Standards for all do usually increase but for those higher in the food chain the increase is much larger (at the expense of those lower down the food chain with little or no choice or fewer options In our grasp)

But that is not a reason why I should choose branch banking, an archaic and inconvenient waste of my time, over mobile banking which is much more convenient.

FWIW I'd happily switch to mobile ticketing if the TOCs could actually get it right. I have noticed that on many journeys recently more than 50% of people seem to be using it even with its substantial faults.

radamfi

Established Member
Arguably, "in person" banking facilities are still very accessible as you can pay in cheques and withdraw cash at post offices. Post offices exist in most larger villages and even modest sized towns have several branches. Post offices are often open in the evening and on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.