• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scapping 37 670

Status
Not open for further replies.

yummy125

Is this the 1st loco with the DB branding on to get scrapped..?

3767020EMR20Kingsbury2021041120J20Brookes.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
Is this the 1st loco with the DB branding on to get scrapped..?

3767020EMR20Kingsbury2021041120J20Brookes.jpg
No, I reckon there’ll have been a fair few German locos that have gone for the chop in DB livery ;)

But joking aside and speaking of the UK only, then given just how few former EWS locos have received DB Schenker branding, then yes 37670 is the first DB Schenker branded loco to be sold for scrap. It’s certainly the cleanest, most complete looking scrapyard resident I’ve ever seen.

As far as I’m aware, cutting hasn’t started yet though, so perhaps there’s still a chance of a reprieve (Not that the UKs’ preserved railways really need gumming up with yet another class 37 taking up siding space: 37042 has just entered preservation on the Eden Valley Railway.)

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
To me seeing any locos or multiple unit scrapped is not nice, but it happens. It may be sad to see this Class 37 go, but as mentioned before preservation has got enough 37s as it is!

Last edited:

route:oxford

Established Member
Get a few of these old reliable beasts bought up, reconditioned and rebranded into "Transport Scotland" livery.

Perfect for keeping the tracks clear in the winter.

A few power-doored Mk3s would keep them busy on tourist specials in the summer too.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Why on earth was this repainted and then sold/scrapped so quickly?!

As I understand it EWS/DB had contract commitments to provide a set number of 37s, ideally 37/4s, but for a reason I can't recall (engine hours??) they didn't have enough operational 37/4s left, so they brought 670 back into use and repainted it as it had been in store for a while.

Given the state of their remaining 37s, DB recently decided it would be cheaper to sell them and contract hire a set number back from the buyer (who I believe is DRS) to cover the work they were required for.

Poor maintenance meant that it was just run down until it failed completely. I believe they also put the "wrong oil" in it, some contamination was found in there at least. Basically it looks nice on the outside but on the inside its in a terrible condition.

Shame really, it was a beast when I had it to Oban in 2009.

37670 RIP.

BestWestern

Established Member
wouldnt it be better for a preservation group to cannibalise it for parts rather than to just scrap it ?

There is also the issue of it's value here, the chances are that the scrapman was willing to pay more for it than an enthusiast movement :|

As I understand it EWS/DB had contract commitments to provide a set number of 37s, ideally 37/4s, but for a reason I can't recall (engine hours??) they didn't have enough operational 37/4s left, so they brought 670 back into use and repainted it as it had been in store for a while.
The /4's were eating engines at quite a rate and 670 was the best condition/cheapest to reinstate as it had been looked after at MG (along with 669). Lack of ETS wasn't an issue as all tours featured genny vans following the incident with 37417.

For those that know their stuff, white metal in the oil caused its demise (as with countless others towards the end of the EWS/DBS era), for those that don't the engine was f*cked!

yummy125

This is where 37 670 has been hiding:

ColourDMD009copy.jpg

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
wouldnt it be better for a preservation group to cannibalise it for parts rather than to just scrap it ?

But this loco is just another 37 which has been re-sprayed in different colours, nothing special about it, so it had to go for scrap.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Just gone past emr kingsbury and it is still intact! Very strange to see a loco in such good exterior condition on the scrap line it even looks like it has had a polish!

Status
Not open for further replies.