• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Schoolgirl is Japan train's only passenger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zoidberg

Established Member
I hope this link will work...

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...only-passenger/ar-CCllDQ?li=AA9SkIr&ocid=iehp

It seems to be a bit better approach than we have here...

:)

For the benefit of those challenged by accessing links, here is an extract from the article:

Amidst its final moments, a girl in Japan gave a train station its last reason to run: to help her finish her studies.

Located in the island of Hokkaido, the Kami-Shirataki train station has been in operation for more than three years. But as time passed by, the number of its passengers drastically went down because of the station’s remote location.

According to CCTV News, the management of Japan Railways had thought of shutting down the station – but suddenly had a change of heart upon knowing the story of their only passenger.

A report said that the girl's only means of transportation to and from the school is the Kami-Shirataki train station.

Inspired with the girl's situation, the management even made some adjustments to its timetable in order for the student to ride the train according to her schedule.

NY Yankee

I feel bad for the girl, but the route won't make a profit with only one passenger. Can't the school arrange for a taxi to take her to school?

Ironically, when people think about transit systems in Japan, they conjure up a picture of passengers being stuffed on Tokyo Metro trains.

richieb1971

Established Member
Amazing, and more to the point a gesture of good will.

In Britain they would run the last train to throw her under it.

Quakkerillo

The story is apparently - as many others on the Internet - fake. She boards at another station, along with 10 others. The station pictured in the articles isn't the station concerned.
The railways are closing 3 stations on the line in March. If that's got anything to do with school, that's unknown, but it most certainly isn't just for her.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It did seem strange that they were apparently running a whole train to serve a single halt with only one passenger. Stopping a service train at an underused station seems far less remarkable (and more likely).

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
I can't remember the name of the station, but I remember seeing some old footage of a nurse who was unable to get to London for her job at one of the big hospitals after her local station had closed. She wrote to British Rail who put into place a special arrangement where one train to London would make a quick stop and pick her up with an arrangement in place to drop her off in the evening. I recall it was a fairly large station as well and that she was given a key to the station building so she could get down to the platforms.

I believe the title of the segment was "A STATION OF HER OWN"

jopsuk

Veteran Member
By my estimates this is still better used than several UK stations?

tsr

Established Member
Weren't the last regular users of Shippea Hill (or another station in that area, I can't remember) a couple of schoolchildren, which dwindled to one, then possibly went down to none at all? I seem to remember that was the only regular custom for some time.

There are plenty of school buses which only run a couple of times a day and must have stops which are barely used but which take them somewhat off the beaten track. Unless it would actually cause capacity issues (and obviously often it does) then I am all in favour of local trains using infrastructure that is already there to make stops for a handful of regular schoolkids/commuters/whomever. As above, many stations in the UK have fewer than one return passenger per term-time day, so it's definitely not so absurd.

SeanG

Established Member
She wouldn't be the only person on the train if it was from Broadmoor in the 70s

Status
Not open for further replies.