• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotland - Framework out of the pandemic - 23rd February 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Whoops....

The Scottish government has said it is working to rectify a security flaw which could allow people to edit Covid vaccination status certificates.
People in Scotland travelling to a foreign country can download the vaccination status forms from the NHS Scotland Portal.
They show the dates of vaccinations and which jabs were given to an individual.
But a security glitch means personal details can be altered using popular computer software programmes.
BBC Scotland was able to download a certificate and edit it to include a false name and the address of the BBC's Glasgow headquarters.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
The Scottish elimination strategy has been, err, eliminated.

Nicola Sturgeon drops Covid elimination strategy
If vaccines have 'broken the link' between cases, admissions and death there's no need to react 'aggressively', said the First Minister

Nicola Sturgeon has abandoned her Covid-19 elimination strategy in a drastic shift which it is hoped will mean there will be no return to prolonged lockdowns.

The First Minister said the success of the vaccination programme, and mounting evidence that jabs are highly effective in preventing serious illness and death, meant that she had begun a transition away from focusing largely on case numbers.

She said that if it is established that vaccines had “broken the link” between cases, hospital admissions and deaths it would mean she would not have to react “quite so aggressively” to future outbreaks.

The major change comes after Ms Sturgeon repeatedly emphasised for almost a year the need to effectively “eliminate” coronavirus by driving case numbers to their lowest possible levels.

As recently as March, when the vaccination programme was well underway, she described elimination as the "only sensible strategy" and warned that the virus “won’t play ball” with any attempt to keep case numbers at a “medium level”.

She has also repeatedly pressed the UK Government to adopt her elimination goal.

However, she revealed on Tuesday that she hoped to ditch the approach, because even if there is a surge in cases, this no longer necessarily means that a significant number of hospitalisations and deaths will follow.

The shift was welcomed by businesses, which said it paved the way for a full reopening of the Scottish economy in the coming weeks.

“Up until now, we have sought to respond as quickly as possible to rising case numbers,” Ms Sturgeon said, at a coronavirus briefing in Edinburgh.

“We have known that increasing case numbers lead, almost like night follows day, to significantly increased hospital and ICU admissions, and unfortunately to increased numbers of deaths.

“But increasingly, we are monitoring whether and to what extent vaccination may be breaking that link between rising case numbers, and significantly rising cases of significant illness and death.

“If that does prove to be the case, as we hope it will, then we hope that our response to this virus can increasingly evolve as well.

“In short, while care will still be needed, because there will always be people who require hospital treatment, it might mean that we don't have to react quite so aggressively with tough restrictions in the face of rising case numbers. Instead, we hope that we'll be able to rely more on enhanced public health interventions.”

Despite case numbers doubling over the past 16 days in Scotland, the number of Covid-19 deaths has remained low. There have been only six coronavirus deaths in Scotland this month, while as of Tuesday, just six people were in intensive care.

Scotland remains on track to offer a first vaccination dose to all adults by the end of July, and it is hoped that everybody will have received two doses by the end of September.

It is expected that restrictions across Scotland will ease further early next month, ahead of the country reaching Level 0 by the end of June.

Ms Sturgeon is under intense pressure to ease Level 3 restrictions in Glasgow, currently facing the harshest measures in the UK, and hinted that she would soon allow the city to enter Level 2 under her new approach, despite case numbers remaining high.

In future, she said, the virus could be dealt with by public health interventions such as testing and vaccination, meaning the response would mean “much less restriction on our day to day lives”.

However, she once again appealed to Scots to get vaccinated, amid concern over a surge in missed appointments, saying it was their “civic duty” to accept jabs when offered.

Liz Cameron, chief executive of the Scottish Chambers of Commerce, said the change of approach would receive “widespread support” from businesses.

“It is essential that we see a greater pace of unlocking restrictions, particularly as our events sector and offices still remain closed among others," she said.

“This more flexible approach should be the key to bringing forward the full re-opening of the economy in the coming weeks.

“We have seen that local outbreaks can be tackled locally with targeted health measures, therefore, this approach should remove the need to apply national lockdown measures as so many businesses are on the edge of survival.”

Sandesh Gulhane, public health spokesman for the Scottish Tories, said: "It is welcome that Nicola Sturgeon recognises the incredible success of the UK vaccination rollout has given us a key weapon in fighting against the virus.

“Vaccines are already proving to drive down hospitalisations and intensive care admissions. That can hopefully mean we continue to safely ease restrictions, even if the virus is still around us, and be able to welcome more visitors to the country.

“This will be music to the ears of businesses who can ill-afford to have tougher restrictions reimposed on them after suffering hugely over the past year."

I found this comment on the article particularly amusing:
Ruth Sharpe
25 May 2021 7:56PM
Don't trust her one inch. She's still got that Devious Shredder woman as an advisor, who is all for zero Covid and more.

kez19

Established Member
The Scottish elimination strategy has been, err, eliminated.

I found this comment on the article particularly amusing:

Changing her tune (for partly once I agree), but on the other the comment you quoted I could quite believe that too!

I wonder if Sturgeon is preparing to throw Devi under....

liam456

Music to my ears! Interesting that she hasn't yet tweeted her disdain about the change of strategy out yet. To be fair though, it is clear from Israel that driving down case rates can be accomplished by vaccinations, not restrictions.

big_rig

Changing her tune (for partly once I agree), but on the other the comment you quoted I could quite believe that too!

I wonder if Sturgeon is preparing to throw Devi under....
Sadly Devi and her ilk are a bit too clever to be done like that that and over time have been making noises about elimination not being the target (even some Independent SAGE lot too), and school closures not something that have should have been done etc. All lies of course given their volumes worth of Tweets on the topic but I have noticed a concerted effort to row back from lockdowns from that lot over time. The party line at the iniquity will probably be ‘oh we never wanted lockdowns but given the actions of Boris/England/pick villain we had to...’

kez19

Established Member
Sadly Devi and her ilk are a bit too clever to be done like that that and over time have been making noises about elimination not being the target (even some Independent SAGE lot too), and school closures not something that have should have been done etc. All lies of course given their volumes worth of Tweets on the topic but I have noticed a concerted effort to row back from lockdowns from that lot over time. The party line at the iniquity will probably be ‘oh we never wanted lockdowns but given the actions of Boris/England/pick villain we had to...’

and the same lines been trotted out but yet the media will not question them over the change of heart? This doesn't surprise me either.

Its ironic though that people like Devi took aim at Boris's approach but didn't batten an eyelid towards Sturgeon (whilst I can no longer stand Boris as much as Sturgeon), but the pettiness out of spite of it all is laughable. I am happy in a way for her to criticise Boris and his approach but please look closer to "home" and criticise your "pal".

applepie2100

ScotRail are taking part in an NHS Scotland trial involving Track and Trace on some Inter7City services

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/about-scotrail/news/scotrail-invites-customers-‘check-’

ScotRail invites customers to ‘Check-In’
Last updated:
Wednesday, 26 May 2021
ScotRail is enhancing its commitment to keeping the country moving through the coronavirus pandemic by trialling a new NHS Test & Protect Check In Scotland QR code system.

The train operator has been asked by the Scottish Government and Transport Scotland to test the process for eight weeks on board one of its Inter7City High Speed Trains (HSTs).

From 24 May, QR code labels will direct customers with smart devices to ‘check-in and out’ of the train.

The Check-In Scotland system captures some personal data from the passenger, including name, email address and contact telephone number.

The data will be used by NHS Test & Protect to get in touch with any close contact of a person who tests positive for COVID-19, which would include a customer who was known to be travelling on the trial train in close proximity to someone else who tests positive.

This mimics the system in place for other venues across Scotland, such as bars and restaurants.

Posters on the train and QR code labels installed at seats provide simple instructions to the customer on the process that they should follow, and on-board announcements will also be made by conductors.

The system is used with a smart device, such as a mobile phone or tablet. If passengers don’t have one, then they will not need to check in on-board the train. This is part of the trial and will help evaluate how many customers can’t use the digital system.

It’s not mandatory to check in, but the operator is encouraging every customer who can, to do so to help NHS Test & Protect to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

The data is held securely by NHS Test & Protect. No other party, including ScotRail, has access to it.

After the eight week trial has been completed, the Scottish Government and NHS Test & Protect will evaluate it and reach a decision on whether or not to roll it out to other ScotRail trains or stations.

Mark O’Mailley, ScotRail Customer Experience Strategy Manager, said:

“Since the first lockdown in March 2020, ScotRail has been helping to keep the country moving by providing key workers with transport so they can continue their life saving duties in hospitals, care homes and the like.

“We are delighted to have been asked by the Scottish Government and Transport Scotland to trial a new system which could have a major impact on preventing the spread of coronavirus.

“We are hugely supportive of these efforts and would encourage our customers to participate.”

I'm not quite sure what to make of this but it feels like the top of a very slippery slope.

takno

Established Member
If this the something they need to be seen to be doing then I'm all for it.

Obviously I wouldn't actually check in on it, and it should certainly be abandoned after the pointless 8 week trial. Hopefully we'll be two months further along the path to normal by then though, and there will be very little support for rolling stuff like this out.

kez19

Established Member
ScotRail are taking part in an NHS Scotland trial involving Track and Trace on some Inter7City services

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/about-scotrail/news/scotrail-invites-customers-‘check-’

I'm not quite sure what to make of this but it feels like the top of a very slippery slope.

The whole “no one can see it” doesn’t exactly bode well with data protection regardless of who has it or not.

The trial on the intercity services, surprised they have chosen the Aberdeen/Inverness link to Edinburgh/Glasgow, why not trial it out on the usual populated cities of… you guessed it Edinburgh or Glasgow? Usually this is what happens normally (opinion)

If this the something they need to be seen to be doing then I'm all for it.

Obviously I wouldn't actually check in on it, and it should certainly be abandoned after the pointless 8 week trial. Hopefully we'll be two months further along the path to normal by then though, and there will be very little support for rolling stuff like this out.

For me things like this should have came about in lockdown 2 (or even in first lockdown), response (even if a trial) is slow.

Or I can look at it another way, could have at least been trialed during the lockdown(s) but I guess this wasn’t thought of.

Last edited:

Scotrail12

ScotRail are a horrible company, it's been amplified recently by their attitude to customers & staff. I'm most certainly not putting myself at mercy of T&T for a simple train ride. In that case, masks clearly do squat to stop transmission on transport.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Interestingly the ScotRail Customer Experience Strategy Manager said the trial "could have a major impact on preventing the spread of coronavirus".

Does this not imply that ScotRail trains are a mass vector of transmission? :rolleyes:

nedchester

Established Member
Interestingly the ScotRail Customer Experience Strategy Manager said the trial "could have a major impact on preventing the spread of coronavirus".

Does this not imply that ScotRail trains are a mass vector of transmission? :rolleyes:
Just keeping the “fear” going…..

kez19

Established Member
ScotRail are a horrible company, it's been amplified recently by their attitude to customers & staff. I'm most certainly not putting myself at mercy of T&T for a simple train ride. In that case, masks clearly do squat to stop transmission on transport.

Last September was the last time I used them, the return journey was more comfortable to actually leaving Dundee at the time! (lol).

Good heavens no! lol They'll expect the passenger to buckle up next, I heard the Vengabus was coming (coughs wrong decade for a minute there... megabus) :E

Silver Cobra

Glasgow is to remain under level 3 restrictions for at least one more week.

Glasgow will continue to be the only part of Scotland under level three restrictions for at least another week.
There had been speculation that the city would be able to join the rest of the Scottish mainland in level two.
But First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said there was still concern about an outbreak of the Indian variant of the virus in the city.
She said the variant was now accounting for about half of the new Covid cases in Glasgow.
Ms Sturgeon said it was hoped the city would be able to move to level two on Saturday of next week.
And she said there were signs that the situation in Glasgow was beginning to stabilise, with the number of new cases falling in recent days in the postcode areas in the southside of the city which had been at the centre of the outbreak of the Indian variant.

This will mean that, by the time of the next review, Glasgow will have been under pretty heavy restrictions for 277 days.

Scotrail314209

Established Member

This will mean that, by the time of the next review, Glasgow will have been under pretty heavy restrictions for 277 days.

I assume this is probably to try and get full confirmation on whether the Indian Variant is increasing hospitalisations, which doesn't seem to be the case.

The trains into Glasgow are busier than ever anyway.

kez19

Established Member

If I am understanding this correctly seems to be a bit of a rise then eventually dips to normal levels(?), why the need of hysteria (looking at the media in all this)

If we are to look back to last year, the media weren’t that much whipped in a frenzy (well ok I take it back the beaches etc) but looking at it (don’t normally agree with Sturgeon) but she did say it was to be expected but on the other we can’t keep going with this cycle, we all have a life to get on with.

Butts

Veteran Member

Lock the weegies up forever :E

Seriously I suspect compliance is at a similar low level to previous "bans" and the only people who believe otherwise are the "Emperor Like" Politicians and Media.

kez19

Established Member
Lock the weegies up forever :E

Seriously I suspect compliance is at a similar low level to previous "bans" and the only people who believe otherwise are the "Emperor Like" Politicians and Media.

yet look at what the Green Party had done in Edinburgh during the week, Sturgeon only said not to copy them but in short not a whimper but be joe public expect the force (possibly), I just think people are growing or just tired of it all (can't blame them), but it doesn't help either with the media in hysterics just about everyday over it.

Just to prove a point in terms of Dundee I give you this:

John Alexander to quote:
He said: “I don’t want to sound alarm bells and be alarmist and say that this is a disaster, but I want to make sure that people are aware of the rapid acceleration of coronavirus cases.
“People have been watching Moray and Glasgow, which are in Level 3, thinking ‘thank god that’s not us’.
“If the figures keep going the way they’re going, it will be us, in a matter of a week or two. -- further to add
“Just over a week ago, I posted about the positive position Dundee found itself in with Covid-19 case numbers being some of the lowest in Scotland.

“Fast forward to today, and our levels have increased at the fastest rate in Scotland and now sit above the Scottish average. This may – emphasis on the ‘may’ – be related to the new Indian variant.

“That will hopefully lessen as the vaccination programme proceeds and people get their two doses of the vaccine. Still, with two doses, you’re not 100% covered.”
“But, at the same time, I think we’re all just going to have to get used to the idea that Covid is going to be around for some time to come.

“With the increasing nature of the variations that we’re seeing across the world, it’s something that we’re going to have to continually try and tackle.

“It’s a note of caution rather than alarm bells at this point, but people need to remember that we’re still in the midst of a global pandemic.

“Right now, I don’t think going into Level 3 is on the table. My fear is, if things continue to go the wrong way, then that’s where we’ll end up.”

The Strathmartine councillor said that increased testing for all members of society was something he was keen for the public to be aware of, with PCR testing kits available through the post.
then:
Dr Pamela Johnston, operational medical director for NHS Tayside said: “In January our hospitals and health services were very busy with sick Covid-19 patients. None of our clinical teams want to see this happen again so we have a bit of a plea.

“Please be cautious. Please keep following the rules in terms of socialising and mixing indoors and even outdoors.

“Stay two metres apart where you need to and please keep washing your hands and keep your masks on.

“If you do this, we hope that you will stay safe and well and avoid having to be admitted to hospital.”

Its the bits in bold that get me, yet over a year into this and we are repeating the same rhetoric, change the record. As I say people in general are fed up and trying to get on with their lives but still though public must be seen to be punished regardless if they are abiding by rules.

Last edited:

Andyh82

Established Member
How come we don’t see the Glaswegian equivalent of Andy Burnham or Tracey Brabin kicking off in the national media about Glasgow being singled out in a so called local lockdown?

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
How come we don’t see the Glaswegian equivalent of Andy Burnham or Tracey Brabin kicking off in the national media about Glasgow being singled out in a so called local lockdown?
Two reasons - the first is that there's no direct equivalent position in Glasgow - they not have any kind of directly elected "mayor".

There's also a partisan element. Glasgow's politics is dominated by the SNP, who are making the decisions across Scotland about local lockdowns - so even if there are disagreements the politicians will want to try and keep them quiet or private. On the other hand, Andy Burnham is Labour, and so would want to put pressure on the Conservative government deciding where should go into local lockdown. While I believe the Conservative elected mayors (Ben Houchen and Andy Street) did make some noise when their areas had local restrictions applied, they were much less vocal about it than the likes of Burnham.

kez19

Established Member

For me you will get the councillors speaking out but it’s more of a panic (as my link above) but I doubt that even if they are SNP they wouldn’t want to upset Sturgeon (pity though as it would be good to see)

duncanp

Established Member
The leader of Dundee City Council is quoted as saying:-

“People have been watching Moray and Glasgow, which are in Level 3, thinking ‘thank god that’s not us’.

I thought Moray was in, er, level 2.

But that doesn't scare people witless (or a word that sounds like witless) does it?

Journeyman

Established Member
The leader of Dundee City Council is quoted as saying:-

I thought Moray was in, er, level 2.

But that doesn't scare people witless (or a word that sounds like witless) does it?
The difference between 3 and 2 for me, in practical terms, is pretty minimal. Just don't ever put me back in 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.