• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotland - Framework out of the pandemic - 23rd February 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

kez19

Established Member
I am under no illusion that politicians care about me. I know all too well about being ignored or dismissed by the SNP. I only vote for them because I cannot bring myself to vote for a unionist party. I can't wait for the day to have a proper choice in Scotland. I believe in Independence, not the SNP. I see them as merely a vehicle to get that and I don't trust them any more than I trust any other party. I hope that if or when we do go Independent the entire political system of Scotland is flushed out, SNP included, and we get a fresh spectrum of ideas and parties.

We don't disagree as much as you seem to think we do to he honest.

I will probably be long gone as I no longer want to stay in Scotland, I feel more attached to England the more I visit (fair enough might be the north east), but I see myself away within a few years.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncanp

Established Member
It's not going to be enforced. I think we all know it.

This is the point - someone should challenge Nicola Sturgeon on how this rule is going to be enforced, give that the Scottish government doesn't have the power to close the border, nor does it have the power to enforce Scottish laws in England.

If the media do not mount a challenge to her on this point at the daily party political broadcast press conference, then it shows that they are sucking up to her.

Someone should also ask her if she is going to ban travel to Blackpool for the start of the Scottish school holidays, given that many Scottish people like to go to Blackpool for a break , especially this year when travel abroad is rather difficult. But Blackpool is a popular destination for day trips from all over Greater Manchester, who would then mix with the Scottish people on holiday there, thus defeating the purpose of the "travel ban".

kez19

Established Member
This is the point - someone should challenge Nicola Sturgeon on how this rule is going to be enforced, give that the Scottish government doesn't have the power to close the border, nor does it have the power to enforce Scottish laws in England.

If the media do not mount a challenge to her on this point at the daily party political broadcast press conference, then it shows that they are sucking up to her.

Someone should also ask her if she is going to ban travel to Blackpool for the start of the Scottish school holidays, given that many Scottish people like to go to Blackpool for a break , especially this year when travel abroad is rather difficult. But Blackpool is a popular destination for day trips from all over Greater Manchester, who would then mix with the Scottish people on holiday there, thus defeating the purpose of the "travel ban".

Even I know it but the media won’t do that, that’s the problem (I know most of us see this), but it’s the same with the UK response, the media in my mind like this if it’s not against you and me, it’s nation against nation but like they care about their actions (let alone later consequences), I be surprised however if the media are protected in one way shape or form or are used as a shield until they are thrown to the gutter (this I can see coming)

Berliner

Yes they should ask her how it's going to be enforced, but as the police have already come out and said they won't be enforcing it, it's a bit of moot point. However it would still be good to see her tell us how she thinks it will work.

You can keep saying it all you like but I refuse to accept the BBC treat the SNP any better than they do any other party. As for you deciding to leave Scotland, I hope a better life awaits you and you feel more at home. I left Scotland for several years, worked in England and then came back north when my career demanded it. I began to feel very alienated in London and felt much more at home up here, so I can only sympathise. I hope it works out for you when you do go.

Ediswan

Established Member
A journalist did ask. The response was "The same way as all the other restrictions".

kez19

Established Member
Yes they should ask her how it's going to be enforced, but as the police have already come out and said they won't be enforcing it, it's a bit of moot point. However it would still be good to see her tell us how she thinks it will work.

You can keep saying it all you like but I refuse to accept the BBC treat the SNP any better than they do any other party. As for you deciding to leave Scotland, I hope a better life awaits you and you feel more at home. I left Scotland for several years, worked in England and then came back north when my career demanded it. I began to feel very alienated in London and felt much more at home up here, so I can only sympathise. I hope it works out for you when you do go.

But yet to me the BBC treat her like a god, so why then with everything going on they don’t dig deeper?

As far as I see it seems pretty much ITV or Channel 4 that make her run but be BBC Scotland or STV it’s some sort of love in? (We don’t see Colin McKay of STV or Glenn Campbell being thorough with her, it’s more of yes ma’am we believe you, then when things come out it’s still the same line of acceptance).

As something that was noted recently in terms of Joanna Cherry it was briefly mentioned on the main BBC bulletins during the day but not a peep from BBC Scotland doesn’t that even ring alarm bells or do we just go the usual just close our ears and eyes to everything?

As I say, it doesn’t matter who is in government they all own this including the media, I just wish people if they are saying it’s Boris fault (fine I hold nothing against that) but Sturgeon and Drakeford aren’t any better and should be treated the same but the media think otherwise

A journalist did ask. The response was "The same way as all the other restrictions".

Aah is that the one rule for plebs and one rule for them?

Last edited:
Looks like most of Scotland will remain in the current levels til the 19th july where they will hopefully be moved into level 0.
Most of the legal restrictions should be lifted on 9th August

kez19

Established Member
Looks like most of Scotland will remain in the current levels til the 19th july where they will hopefully be moved into level 0.
Most of the legal restrictions should be lifted on 9th August

Big question is will she stick to it or do a Boris at somepoint in the future? Something comes along and adds a delay to either 19 July or 9 August? I'm all for restrictions being lifted fully as in both the UK/Scotland but if she does do things similar to Boris like delaying due to variants, then I think people really do need to question it all (if not already).

Class 33

Established Member
Looks like though that Sturgeon is intending on keeping face mask restrictions, even beyond 9th August!

kez19

Established Member
Looks like though that Sturgeon is intending on keeping face mask restrictions, even beyond 9th August!

Thats to prepare us for the miserable/tough whatever they can think of for describing autumn/winter 2021.

liam456

Just the language of the announcement shows how reticent Scotland are:

If we can reach the milestones, which we might not, we might be able to, which is subject to change, possibly, but possibly not, might do, but might not, move to level 0. And then we just maybe might be able to possibly maybe look into and work out if we maybe could change some of, but not all, the legal restrictions, e.t.c......

kez19

Established Member
Just the language of the announcement shows how reticent Scotland are:

If we can reach the milestones, which we might not, we might be able to, which is subject to change, possibly, but possibly not, might do, but might not, move to level 0. And then we just maybe might be able to possibly maybe look into and work out if we maybe could change some of, but not all, the legal restrictions, e.t.c......

Best way I describe it, it’s like clutching at straws.

liam456

Best way I describe it, it’s like clutching at straws.
Just makes me sad really, doesn't leave much hope for my next year at the University of Glasgow. Looks like no lectures but plenty house parties.....

kez19

Established Member
Just makes me sad really, doesn't leave much hope for my next year at the University of Glasgow. Looks like no lectures but plenty house parties.....

I don’t agree in this zooming either for students, why can’t face to face be brought back? It’s a bit ironic to say that we meet people face to face everyday, seems like another box ticking exercise

Mingulay

Been a long time since I used ScotRail.
A few COVID related questions.
Given face masks are meant to be worn I am in the minority wearing on the train. Older and young not wearing . Guard not wearing. No challenge. Is this just a token policy with no attempt at enforcing. Double vaccinated not bothered ?

new Electric 385 trains. Stifling hot. Is it policy not to run air cooling due to COVID ?

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Been a long time since I used ScotRail.
A few COVID related questions.
Given face masks are meant to be worn I am in the minority wearing on the train. Older and young not wearing . Guard not wearing. No challenge. Is this just a token policy with no attempt at enforcing. Double vaccinated not bothered ?

new Electric 385 trains. Stifling hot. Is it policy not to run air cooling due to COVID ?

Most likely a fault with the air conditioning on the 385.

I have seen more and more staff not wearing masks, passed through Central one day and everybody was wearing masks with the exception of two Avanti staff members.

Mingulay

I have seen more and more staff not wearing masks, passed through Central one day and everybody was wearing masks with the exception of two Avanti staff members.
Ta.

ScotRail should have plenty trains to run with no faults. Same old story.

it is ironic. The RMT often claim passenger safety to justify strike action. But the staff are not taking passenger safety a thought by not enforcing or observing themselves.

glad I took early retirement. Using ScotRail under direct Scottish government control can only get worse.

island

Veteran Member

Rail staff are not required to wear face coverings (in England at any rate, not sure about Scotland).

Mingulay

The level of deference and failure to probe and press for answers from all tv interviews and allowing blatant evasion and time wasting is a great loss to our democracy no matter what party you support. Boris gets away with it as does Scotland’s First Miniature.
But it seems no matter how poor both are in their record of government in Scotland and Uk , failures. Corruption. Lack of character. Proven dishonesty. Voters seem to care not. Like trump supporters they vote for a sentiment or Idea. Scrutiny of facts and truth seem irrelevant to voters now. Just want a gang leader for the gang they feel will nearest mirror their prejudices and beliefs. It’s voting against someone or something. Not voting for what’s best or credible

kez19

Established Member
The level of deference and failure to probe and press for answers from all tv interviews and allowing blatant evasion and time wasting is a great loss to our democracy no matter what party you support. Boris gets away with it as does Scotland’s First Miniature.
But it seems no matter how poor both are in their record of government in Scotland and Uk , failures. Corruption. Lack of character. Proven dishonesty. Voters seem to care not. Like trump supporters they vote for a sentiment or Idea. Scrutiny of facts and truth seem irrelevant to voters now. Just want a gang leader for the gang they feel will nearest mirror their prejudices and beliefs. It’s voting against someone or something. Not voting for what’s best or credible

Totally agree with you, but you would think the media would hold her to account but would rather hold Boris more.

Regarding voting I’m the same but I just find it is more of what they want not what the public want

Mingulay

I was told by the guard the aircon on these trains are set to only operate above 28c. But if it sits in station it comes on and it’s a fridge. Like the one I am on now. But goes off when we move.
Lost on me. But it’s a scotrail train so it’s the norm. It disnae work pal !

Butts

Veteran Member
Totally agree with you, but you would think the media would hold her to account but would rather hold Boris more.

Regarding voting I’m the same but I just find it is more of what they want not what the public want

The biggest "Elephant in the Room" is how the Manchester (and other UK) Travel Bans are being enforced.

Have none of them got the wit or guile to force her into a corner and admit it is unenforceable and hence pointless ?

This aspect of the ban is completely overlooked in all the articles I have read relating to it - so frustrating when it's an open goal !!

kez19

Established Member
The biggest "Elephant in the Room" is how the Manchester (and other UK) Travel Bans are being enforced.

Have none of them got the wit or guile to force her into a corner and admit it is unenforceable and hence pointless ?

This aspect of the ban is completely overlooked in all the articles I have read relating to it - so frustrating when it's an open goal !!

Exactly but then look at it another way, trying to ban the public going places, why not they themselves do it then pot kettle anyone?

duncanp

Established Member
I presume that Mrs Murell will not be drawing attention to this extract from the Daily Telegraph live feed at her next party political broadcast COVID Press Conference.

Scotland is by far the UK's worst Covid hotspot with rates more than double England's, according to figures published by Nicola Sturgeon's government yesterday that increased pressure on her to drop her Manchester travel ban.

A Scottish Government survey estimated that 0.46 per cent of the population was carrying the virus last week, the equivalent of one in 220 people.

However, this compared with only 0.22 per cent of people in England, the equivalent of one in 440 people. Scotland's rate was almost four times that recorded in either Wales or Northern Ireland.

Men gathering indoors to watch Euro 2020 have been blamed for the unprecedented spike. Around two-thirds of cases in recent days among Scots aged 15 to 44 have been recorded in males, whereas previously it was around half.

The figures were published as Andy Burnham, the mayor of Greater Manchester, stepped up his campaign for Ms Sturgeon to scrap her legal ban on travel between Scotland and Manchester, Salford, Bolton or Blackburn.

In the seven days to June 20, Bolton recorded an infection rate of 246.2 new cases per 100,000 residents. However, the figure was 336.4 in Edinburgh and 381.1 in Dundee.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Ah, it's good to see that the SNP-bashing vehicle is alive and well. Most of the posts here have nothing to do with Covid but carry on, people.

Butts

Veteran Member
Ah, it's good to see that the SNP-bashing vehicle is alive and well. Most of the posts here have nothing to do with Covid but carry on, people.

I think that's a little bit of a generalisation.

Is it not a legitimate question to ask how The Scottish Government are going to enforce a Travel Ban to Manchester or other parts of the UK ?

takno

Established Member
The thread subject is Scotland's framework out of the pandemic, which has itself increasingly little to do with Covid.

kez19

Established Member

I'm a bit confused, they run Scotland?

So its OK for everyone to bash the UK one but not Scotland - regardless of who is in charge?

Butts

Veteran Member
Looks like he's hopped on the nearest bus to nowhere <D

I can't wait to hear his endorsement of the Manchester Travel Ban and how it is going to be enforced.

Status
Not open for further replies.