• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail 1st class - why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm planning on making a trip from Inverness to Edinburgh and I'd like to travel 1st class. Obviously it'll be FSR as the TOC. What perks do you get in 1st class that you don't get in the rest of the train (apart from being 6ft nearer to the driver :lol:?)

I'm just wondering if it's worth coughing up for the 1st class fare if they actually give you something worthwhile for it - if it's just a slightly more comfy seat then I won't bother.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
A quieter environment, a table lamp, table, slightly reclining seat and I think free hot drinks from the trolley.

Glenmutchkin

The last two trips that I have done on Scotrail as a First class Ticket holder the train was made up of SPT stock with no First seating. These trips were on the Edinburgh-Glasgow Q St line. When First does appear you usually get a free Scotsman and free coffee off the buffet trolley if it gets that far.

The best First class deals in Scotland are the Scotrail Over 55s tickets that you can use on Virgin and East Coast (but not on Sundays)

PS You can do Edinurgh - Inverness on East Coast once per day.

Last edited:
The last two trips that I have done on Scotrail as a First class Ticket holder the train was made up of SPT stock with no First seating. These trips were on the Edinburgh-Glasgow Q St line. When First does appear you usually get a free Scotsman and free coffee off the buffet trolley if it gets that far.

The best First class deals in Scotland are the Scotrail Over 55s tickets that you can use on Virgin and East Coast (but not on Sundays)

PS You can do Edinurgh - Inverness on East Coast once per day.

Oh well that's not too bad - a free coffee and a newspaper! I'm hoping it'll be the Turbostar as I've noted that they interchange 158s and Turbostars; the 12:47 is a Turbostar but the one before that - the one I'm getting will probably be a 158 - and I've been 1st class on those on the local Far North line to Inverness.

I might actually try going with EC as I'm hopefully going with them in July when I take a trip to London (I'll take the Chieftain then - no point changing at EDB when I can just go the whole hog on an HST - pity about it not having a screamer up front tho!) so it'll be worth it to see if I should take them or Virgin to Euston.

I'm not half conflicted tho! Should I or shouldn't I...

scotsman

Established Member
ScotRail's first class offering, as said, is extra legroom, a lamp, free hot drinks and biscuits and a free paper. At weekend, there's no paper.

Std advance - £21.80 with 2 singles
Std anytime return - 61.50 to 81.50 strangely enough!
1st class return - 93.60 (2 1st class advance singles is almost 110!)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
the 1st-class return is an anytime one; so really anything between 30 to 15 extra for the 1st class as i'd go for the anytime return so I could be more flexible.

All Line Rover

Established Member
The "complimentary refreshment" (tea/coffee) from the trolley is, how shall I put it? Mediocre.

I travelled on a ScotRail service on a weekday a few months ago (using a very, very cheap First Class "EC&Connections" ticket ;)) and there were no free newspapers. I assume they had all been nicked earlier (including by certain First Class customers ;))!

I genuinely wouldn't bother paying for a First Class Anytime ticket on ScotRail. The standard of accommodation doesn't justify the extra cost. First Class is only worthwhile if you're on a dirt cheap "VT&Connections", "EC&Connections" or "XC&Connections" ticket. :)

This is my opinion. Other's may differ.

scotsman

Established Member
Not worth the fare, as others have said. Only use it with my advance card

I'll probably just stick to standard class and bring a Thermos flask with my brew! If all I get is a slightly more comfy seat and a free cup of coffee it's not worth the dough to go FC compared to standard.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The last time I did Edinburgh to inverness on Scotrail I found the standard class quite comfortable during the entire journey. I would not consider first class on that route with those trains.

The last time I did Edinburgh to inverness on Scotrail I found the standard class quite comfortable during the entire journey. I would not consider first class on that route with those trains.

Yeah it sounds a bit of a con to me - a free cuppa and a paper! I can just take my Kindle and a Thermos for £21 return standard advance. The standard class seats are good on FSR.

For my next galavant to Manchester I mite go 1st class on FTPE to try and avoid those dreadful standard class seats that remind me of driving down a cobbled street in an early Land Rover :lol:

Again only if it's worth it - what extras do FTPE give to 1st class pax? Is it just free coffee as with their sister company?

PaulLothian

Mrs L and I have noticed that some 158 standard table seats offer noticeably more legroom than others - if you're on early enough to have a choice, you can have a perfectly comfortable journey in standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.