• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJCT1980

Been fortunate enough to pass all criteria and start training on 10th February. Will be working out from Perth. Just came across this forum is there any other members in the same position. Can't wait now so happy :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Monty

Established Member
Welcome aboard, there are quite a few of us from all over the country. If I remember correctly there is even a few from ScotRail. :)

DJCT1980

Cheers folks always wanted 2 work with the railway as family have always been in the railway. Glad I am the age where you have 2 earn the job and not just because you new someone in the railway like it used 2 be :D

Network

my status has been stuck at "Successful after part assessment" since before xmas :|

can't get through to HR on phone, and no replies to my emails

DJCT1980

Can anyone give me a clear guide on benefits with regards to staff travel. I am from Perth but have 3 boys who live in Thurso so obviously train travel is a must for us as we don't drive.

ee el oh

Hi Mate and well done, I've been a passed out conductor based
in Glasgow for 6 months now. You, your kids and spouse will all get
a smart pass which will allow you all free travel on Scotrail. You will
also get heavily discounted travel with all other TOCS. Many of
our guys enjoy free travel on the Caledonian sleper service down to London
for the weekend. You will have to travel down every day to Atrium court
for your training which is about six weeks if your new to the railway. Theres
a lot to take in though it is very enjoyable and light hearted with plenty of
banter and mickey taking. Good luck and welcome aboard. If you have any
questions fire away.

DJCT1980

Hi Mate and well done, I've been a passed out conductor based
in Glasgow for 6 months now. You, your kids and spouse will all get
a smart pass which will allow you all free travel on Scotrail. You will
also get heavily discounted travel with all other TOCS. Many of
our guys enjoy free travel on the Caledonian sleper service down to London
for the weekend. You will have to travel down every day to Atrium court
for your training which is about six weeks if your new to the railway. Theres
a lot to take in though it is very enjoyable and light hearted with plenty of
banter and mickey taking. Good luck and welcome aboard. If you have any
questions fire away.

Cheers for your reply and info very much appreciated. Have some railway knowledge as my dad was a conductor for over 20 years before he died and my granddad a signalman for 50 years. Always wanted to work within the railway and so much more rewarding knowing all the tests you have to pass to get there. Grew up with free travel myself until 16 as was British rail back then but still trying to get my head round regulations regarding franchised tocs. How long do you have to be employed before the travel cards become valid. Only asking as my kids are in Thurso and my partners family are all Cheltenham area.

455driver

Veteran Member
As well as free travel on Scotrail and the 75% off TOC card you will also get First group boxes which allow you free travel on other First Group TOCs, it is possible to get all the way to Cornwall for the cost of the underground, which is not a bad deal!

ee el oh

As soon as you start employment you will be given a temporary pass
and instructions on how to order passes for you and your family online.
usually takes two or three weeks to get them all processed.

hutchy

Me! I start my training on the 10th for the conductor role in Perth too :) So very excited!! This forum has been amazing

Morrientes

Hi folks,

New to the forum. Had an assessment day in Glasgow last week and have an interview coming up soon, just looking for any tips and advice that anyone has to offer?

Anything would be greatly appreciated, especially from those who have been successful recently (well done to you all).

Thanks

DJCT1980

Hi folks,

New to the forum. Had an assessment day in Glasgow last week and have an interview coming up soon, just looking for any tips and advice that anyone has to offer?

Anything would be greatly appreciated, especially from those who have been successful recently (well done to you all).

Thanks

Well done getting through the assessment day. I had my interview earlier this month. There was a man asking the questions and a female taking notes this was in Perth. Be ready for questions like " Give an example of a recent time when you have had to pass on new information to someone " also " Give an example when you have had to concentrate for long periods of time " those type questions. Also research First Scotrails history and serve them up some facts and stats. Also a good idea to have information on the station you would be working from. Go in relaxed and good luck
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Me! I start my training on the 10th for the conductor role in Perth too :) So very excited!! This forum has been amazing

Well done on making it through also will see you 10th February no doubt. Did you do your assessment day in December same as me ???

hutchy

I had my assessment on 18th December in Glasgow and DM interview on 7th Jan in Perth. Was that the same day you were in for yours?

hutchy

Hi folks,

Thanks

Its a lot of "what did you do in this situation" questions! the questions are in this forum you just need to pop it it the search :)
Do your homework on Scotrail and First as well as what routes come and go from the station you are applying for.
Find a driver/conductor from the station (I met a driver through a friend, facebook was a godsend for this) dont name drop but say you have a driver friend you have been asking questions to.
Visit the station as I was asked if I had done.
Suit and boot it for interview, you can only make a first impression once :)
Hope my rambling has helped
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Bald headed chap looked a bit like this smiley :D

you dont happen to be Bob or Thomas?

Last edited:

Morrientes

Anyone any idea how long I should be waiting on hearing back about an interview?

Cheers

DJCT1980

Anyone any idea how long I should be waiting on hearing back about an interview?

Cheers

When did you have you assessment day ???

I had mine 18th December and received a email 5 days later inviting me for an interview on the 7th January.

Morrientes

Thanks for your reply mate. Assessment was the 13th January, Interview was the 22nd, which I feel went well, it was all quite positive. Still waiting to hear back though. Sure I was told first week of February I'd find out either way. Status on the website still says accepted assessment time date. Just getting a bit anxious now as it's been a while. Don't know whether to email them.

Cheers

AE-28

I don't see the harm in phoning them to be honest they are so nice. There is a number for recruitment you can phone on the website. I was worried because I passed the online assessments and heard nothing for 2 months. I phoned and they told me nothing was scheduled and I would be contacted in due course in regards to an assessment day and true to their word that's what happened. So I have successfully passed my assessment day just waiting on an interview date now. Fingers crossed

rd79

DJCT, what was the training like in terms if times, is it 9-5 mon fri or is it done on shifts?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.