• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Franchise - Abellio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlandspring

Established Member
After my card failed again on a return journey saying the ticket 'was not yet valid' staff let me travel - with one minor argument connecting at GQS where I was asked to show a copy of the email.
The CRS code for Glasgow Queen Street is GLQ.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Marklund

And? GQS was perfectly understandable, and makes more sense than the CRS code.
Needless nit-picking.

marks87

Established Member
Needless nit-picking.
It's not, though.

It's symptomatic of a wider issue on here where people litter their posts with 3-letter codes (sometimes accurate, more often not) as if it somehow makes them look more knowledgeable.

Is it really so difficult to type a station's full name?

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Needless nit-picking.

It is forum rules and policy not to use station codes (or abbreviations) without first saying what they mean.

For example, although I am originally from the West Midlands, BNS very understandably could mean Birmingham New Street, but that code is actually for Barnes which is south of the mighty Thames.

EDIT: AlterEgo posted at a similar time to me.

Highlandspring

Established Member
It's symptomatic of a wider issue on here where people litter their posts with 3-letter codes (sometimes accurate, more often not) as if it somehow makes them look more knowledgeable.
Exactly this. I’ve often thought about using STANNOXes on here to really get the arms race started.
It took me less than two seconds to type. Glasgow Queen Street. There you go, I did it again!

theironroad

Established Member
It's not, though.

I'm not sure why people use 3 letter codes, but I have noticed a fair few fictional ones on the swr Twitter feed, most are sort of understandable but it feels a bit odd when you know the correct one.

Dryce

Needless nit-picking.

Except I did actually mean to type GLQ ......

That said - it's an easy brain fade when GQS is also used elsewhere.

Dryce

Depends on how often you use the National Rail journey planner and related systems ..... using the three letter codes for routes you check/book frequently tends to be quicker.

Same with many airline booking systems where the IATA codes tend to speed things up - and remove ambiguity (though lay some traps of their own)

benbristow

Needless nit-picking.

It doesn't make more sense really.

Glasgow Central is GLC so makes sense that Glasgow Queen Street would be GLQ.

If it was Queen Street by itself though then GQS might make more sense.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Of course Glasgow Queen Street Low Level is GQL and the Central Low Level is GCL...

Anyway all this is off topic so to try and bring things back on track here is a statement to discuss; I think that as soon as Abellio get the chance (next April..?) they will run as far and as fast away from the ScotRail franchise as they can.

Established Member
Of course Glasgow Queen Street Low Level is GQL and the Central Low Level is GCL...

Anyway all this is off topic so to try and bring things back on track here is a statement to discuss; I think that as soon as Abellio get the chance (next April..?) they will run as far and as fast away from the ScotRail franchise as they can.
Thank you, I don't know what it is with Scottish threads at the moment but they seem to be off topic more than they're on. I found myself commenting on ticket machines on the electrification thread last night and then realised what I'd done, let's all try to keep pulling things back...

Anyway, remind me what is the opportunity next April, does Abellio have a five year break available to them?

Highlandspring

Established Member
There is a break off clause in the franchise agreement that can be invoked by either TS or Abellio after the first 5 years. I think the franchise started in April 2014, so that should make it possible for either party to walk (or run) away in 2019.

Last edited:

Glenmutchkin

There is a break off clause in the franchise agreement that can be invoked by either TS or Abellio after the first 5 years. I think the franchise started in April 2014, so that should make it possible for either party to walk (or run) away I'm 2019.

Presumably there has to be a notice period of intent to invoke the break clause by either side. When would notice have to be given?

Domh245

Established Member
I think the franchise started in April 2014, so that should make it possible for either party to walk (or run) away I'm 2019.
It started in April 15 having been awarded in October 14. I think Abellio's willingness to run away depends on how much money they've had to pump in, and whether or not they can see light at the end of the tunnel. Plenty of stories about them having to put more money in than they were expecting, so if they think that things are picking up then they'll probably want to stick at it to recoup that. If they can't see it improving then yes they might bail

Established Member
Sorry to disappoint, but Abellio only started on Scotrail on 1 April 2015. The start date of this thread, 21 July 2014, is a bit of a clue!

It doesn't make the discussion any less valid, but I'm afraid we still have another two years yet...

Glenmutchkin

"The ScotRail franchise is the biggest single contract let by the Scottish Government and is worth just over £6billion.

The contract is for 10 years but a break clause will allow either side at the halfway point to decide to end the contract in 2022."

From
https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/new-scotrail-franchise-fares-deals-to-boost-growth/

It appears that notice can be given after five years for a break in 2022. They might have managed to solve the 385 problems by then.

Last edited:

clc

Established Member
One thing I have noticed over the last couple of journeys is the guard just nods or gives you the thumbs up when you show the smartcard.

That has been my experience too, not once has a ticket examiner scanned my card. There’s nothing to deter dishonest passengers from loading their card with the cheapest ticket required to get through the barriers at Central.

Marklund

It doesn't make more sense really.

Glasgow Central is GLC so makes sense that Glasgow Queen Street would be GLQ.

If it was Queen Street by itself though then GQS might make more sense.

Just leaving this link here...
https://twitter.com/NetworkRailGQS

David M

Regarding the scanning of the smartcards - generally I find the examiners on the train do scan the card (and sometimes the trolley staff as well for the club 50 water) but the yellow circle machines are very hit and miss. the automatic barriers always seem to work but the ones at stations with no barriers can do anything. On Saturday, every one gave the ticket not valid yet response. The examiner on the train confirmed the tickets were loaded and valid and it worked at the automatic gates at Waverley and Glasgow - just not the beep machines to start and end the journey e.g. Tweedbank to Waverley and at Yoker.

benbristow

Regarding the scanning of the smartcards - generally I find the examiners on the train do scan the card (and sometimes the trolley staff as well for the club 50 water) but the yellow circle machines are very hit and miss. the automatic barriers always seem to work but the ones at stations with no barriers can do anything. On Saturday, every one gave the ticket not valid yet response. The examiner on the train confirmed the tickets were loaded and valid and it worked at the automatic gates at Waverley and Glasgow - just not the beep machines to start and end the journey e.g. Tweedbank to Waverley and at Yoker.

I guess as long as it gets you through the ticket gates and past inspection you don't really need to 'tap it in' if it's a loaded ticket for the day.

I guess as long as it gets you through the ticket gates and past inspection you don't really need to 'tap it in' if it's a loaded ticket for the day.

Some of the few staff that check smartcards are refusing unvalidated tickets, saw one man forced to buy a new ticket during the week.

Christmas

There is a break off clause in the franchise agreement that can be invoked by either TS or Abellio after the first 5 years. I think the franchise started in April 2014, so that should make it possible for either party to walk (or run) away in 2019.
This was always supposed to be after the first 7 years of the 10 year franchise, that's what was reported before the franchise started. I'm not sure when this was reduced to 5 years.

Altnabreac

Established Member
This was always supposed to be after the first 7 years of the 10 year franchise, that's what was reported before the franchise started. I'm not sure when this was reduced to 5 years.

Some confusion here maybe.

An early franchise termination is invoked after five years if either party wants it to end it at 7 years. This then gives TS 2 years to run a new Franchise competition. That's always been what's in the franchise agreement.

marks87

Established Member
A new “Fife Fiver” fare has been introduced, letting people with Fife postcodes travel to Edinburgh or Dundee from any Fife station for £5 return off-peak.

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/fifefiver

Seems a bit unfair that it’s restricted to people travelling from Fife, even if the reasons are understandable (people would use it to get a £10 return Dundee-Edinburgh).

It also creates some wild fare anomalies, e.g. Leuchars-Edinburgh is £5, while Dundee-Kirkcaldy is almost 3x that at £14.80.

benbristow

A new “Fife Fiver” fare has been introduced, letting people with Fife postcodes travel to Edinburgh or Dundee from any Fife station for £5 return off-peak.

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/fifefiver

Seems a bit unfair that it’s restricted to people travelling from Fife, even if the reasons are understandable (people would use it to get a £10 return Dundee-Edinburgh).

It also creates some wild fare anomalies, e.g. Leuchars-Edinburgh is £5, while Dundee-Kirkcaldy is almost 3x that at £14.80.

What about ticket splitting?

marks87

Established Member
What about ticket splitting?

You can only buy the ticket online, and if your address has a Fife postcode.

So someone from Dundee can’t buy Dundee-Leuchars, Leuchars-Edinburgh because they won’t have the correct postcode.

Status
Not open for further replies.