• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlandspring

Established Member
jingsmonty said:
The only thing I'm not quite convinced about is the livery - I'm not sure how easy this will be to keep clean!

The livery looks great when it’s clean but one of the powercars on one of the Dundee training sets is already absolutely manky and it looks dreadful. I think the coaches could do with a bit more blue along the bottom too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RLBH

I was speaking with the ScotRail brand manager on Monday’s first run and asked whether it’s “Inter Seven City” as the conductor announced on board or it’s just “Intercity”. She told me the 7 isn’t silent and the intention is that you are indeed supposed to pronounce it in the middle. So there you go.
I'm curious whether the Inter7City branding came about because the branding people decided it was best, or because the Department for Transport were awkward with licencing the InterCity brand.

gingertom

Established Member
When there is the next UK City Status competition I wonder if Scotrail will be lobbying against bids for City Status from Paisley, Ayr and Dumfries?
I can think of worse places to run HSTs to. Would need the Glasgow City Union line upgraded for passenger traffic, but that's for the Glasgow Crossrail thread.

Highlandspring

Established Member
I'm curious whether the Inter7City branding came about because the branding people decided it was best, or because the Department for Transport were awkward with licencing the InterCity brand.
I’ve no idea but she did say ScotRail (or, I’d expect, Transport Scotland/the Scottish Ministers) own it as a registered trademark.

RLBH

I can think of worse places to run HSTs to. Would need the Glasgow City Union line upgraded for passenger traffic, but that's for the Glasgow Crossrail thread.
Back in the 1960s, the Ayr services were run by Swindon Inter-City DMUs, so it's not completely crazy. Only mostly.

Replacing the 156s to Dumfries with HSTs would be a ludicrous step up in service provision, though. About the only way I could see it making sense is the original ScotRail plan to have a fleet of Class 158s for the longer routes out of Glasgow Central to Stranraer, Dumfries (and stations beyond). Even then, there would have had to be some enormous level of growth to justify HSTs.

JohnR

I actually quite like the 'Inter7City' branding - it taps into the history of the HSTs (as 'InterCity' trains), without coming across as too 'retro' & being a modern brand. The only thing I'm not quite convinced about is the livery - I'm not sure how easy this will be to keep clean! They would have looked ok with the standard Scotrail 'Saltire' livery, but I totally get the decision to market the HST 'Inter7City' as a separate & premium product.

A lot of the original Scotrail internal training stuff & publicity stuff had an artist impression of the HST in 'Saltire' livery - I liked it, but they do look good in the 'Inter7City' colours!

I agree with you. I'm not a massive fan of the Saltire livery, but even I thought the HSTs looked quite smart in it - and better than in this livery. In order to give some distinction, I'd have done 7 of the power cars in a vinyl wrap, one for each city.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I suspect, knowing their past record, the latter. Makes me angry, really, as they were the direct cause of the loss in the UK of train categorisation which would have made things easier for everyone and is used in almost every other country worldwide.

jingsmonty

The livery looks great when it’s clean but one of the powercars on one of the Dundee training sets is already absolutely manky and it looks dreadful. I think the coaches could do with a bit more blue along the bottom too.

I've noticed that too - definetly needs frequent trips through the wash road, which should be built into the diagrams once they are in regular service

jingsmonty

I suspect, knowing their past record, the latter. Makes me angry, really, as they were the direct cause of the loss in the UK of train categorisation which would have made things easier for everyone and is used in almost every other country worldwide.

This isn't really for this thread, but very good point. INTERCITY was such a strong brand & it was criminally incompetent & short sighted not to retain it as a stand alone franchise...or some other setup. It should never have bern binned

gingertom

Established Member
Back in the 1960s, the Ayr services were run by Swindon Inter-City DMUs, so it's not completely crazy. Only mostly.

Replacing the 156s to Dumfries with HSTs would be a ludicrous step up in service provision, though. About the only way I could see it making sense is the original ScotRail plan to have a fleet of Class 158s for the longer routes out of Glasgow Central to Stranraer, Dumfries (and stations beyond). Even then, there would have had to be some enormous level of growth to justify HSTs.
a 2+4 will be fine then ;)

jingsmonty

Not sure they will be naming any train City of Glasgow any time soon given it's history.
Grayrigg 390 033
Harrow 46242

But 87006 & 90004 didn't come to any harm in service....:). There's a specific thread somewhere else re. naming Scotrail HSTs - I've posted on that, there's a few good (& bad...)naming suggestions on there.

Christmas

I've noticed that too - definetly needs frequent trips through the wash road, which should be built into the diagrams once they are in regular service
Even if they pass through the wash daily, which may not happen, the brushes at several washes are so bald and old that they barely make contact with the bodysides, never mind solebar level which tapers inwards.

jingsmonty

Even if they pass through the wash daily, which may not happen, the brushes at several washes are so bald and old that they barely make contact with the bodysides, never mind solebar level which tapers inwards.

Definetly true!! Only solution is to do what Inverness do when a 158 is having an underframe wash - go along the sides with a bug brush & soapy suds!

I’m sure it’s been covered in this thread but I can’t find the answer - is ScotRail introducing some unrefurbished slam-door sets from December and if so, why? Sorry if this has been covered back in the thread somewhere.

SC43090

I’m sure it’s been covered in this thread but I can’t find the answer - is ScotRail introducing some unrefurbished slam-door sets from December and if so, why? Sorry if this has been covered back in the thread somewhere.

Yes they will introduce some slam doors HSTs from December..... The reason are the refurbishment is so far behind at Wabtec due lots of problems..... Also Scotrail having to give up some Dmus to Northern

SC43090

route101

Established Member

170s and 158s would need to be cleared down that way , dont the doors interefere with the platform .

I suspect we will see HSTs on some of the more local services , theres stopping boards at Intermediate stations .

Used to be Ayr to Euston services , one via Glasgow too .

RLBH

170s and 158s would need to be cleared down that way , dont the doors interefere with the platform .
Very possibly - I only know that when 158s were new, ScotRail wanted eight of them to run the longer-distance services on the G&SW routes. It never happened, probably because it doesn't really make sense.

connormill

So far it seems to be a successful first week for the refurb set (touch wood)

Do we have any timings for it at the weekend. got a trip up to Aberdeen and may well take the HST

Carntyne

I suspect we will see HSTs on some of the more local services , theres stopping boards at Intermediate stations.

The HST has had stopping board installed at many, many stations. It does not mean they will stop there during normal working, however.

dmkc

Here's a possibly odd question....

Obviously the 43s will need to be swapped out as and when for Exams, but do coaches have the same regime. I.e is there set windows where they need to be withdrawn for heavier work or does that only kick in if a problem is identified overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.