• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JP66725

1A65 1330 Edinburgh - Inverurie.??? If it’s worked that then it should be on 1B43 1638 back to Edinburgh

Anyone able to confirm? Fancy a wee bash later

hexagon789

Veteran Member
1A65 1330 Edinburgh - Inverurie.??? If it’s worked that then it should be on 1B43 1638 back to Edinburgh

Anyone able to confirm? Fancy a wee bash later

Should be:

2A64 1619 Aberdeen-Dyce followed by
1B43 1639 Dyce-Edinburgh

GrimShady

Established Member
What's the estimate now for the next set? Even at 3 months a set, which is wishful thinking, it will take years!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
What's the estimate now for the next set? Even at 3 months a set, which is wishful thinking, it will take years!

Don't know when the next one will be finished, but I'm sure it's been said no more will enter service until the December timetable change.

snakeeyes

This is Clayhills depot next to Aberdeen station, Scotrail HST with GWR carriages, is this for service or driver training?

Attachments

• 20181020_115504_HDR.jpg
    20181020_115504_HDR.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 197

RLBH

Discussing the upcoming HSTs with dear old mother (a regular user of the Inverness l-Aberdeen and Highland lines) today. Her comment was 'They had those years ago, I don't know why they ever withdrew them.'

I can only think she's thinking of the Class 47-hauled stock, as she doesn't know one train from another. Does show that 'normal' people appreciate differences in quality though.

Honourable father, meanwhile, just ranted about English cast-offs.

Stoney1979

At risk of repeating myself, is there/what is the best objective method of measuring the success, or otherwise, of the HSTs intro?

I have posted this point earlier but either have had no responses, or been punted to another threat.

However, at risk of one or both happening again the point is …. how can the overall performance of the new SR HSTs be objectively measured? Timeliness and reliability are obviously key factors - as long as they are compared against current 170/158 timeliness and reliability. But over how long a period, and is the data reliable anyway?

As for passenger comfort and experience, who knows how that can be measured? other than "it's better/worse than it was" or more-bums-on-seats anecdotal and circumstantial findings.

I would not want to see any initial HST failures being over-egged, but at the same time it's important that if there are "real" problems (as compared to the 170/158s) then they are evidenced, highlighted and addressed.

For SR to say we are heading for "the best railway Scotland has ever had" is all very well, but what does that actually mean - and how are they going to prove it?

DuncanS

Scotrail have announced that the first run breakdown in Fife was caused by the driver tooting the horn too much, this caused an air leak that knocked out some systems.

chuff chuff

I hear there was a problem with the horn which was exacerbated by the fitter causing an air leak which then had to be repaired.

scotraildriver

Established Member
No one at Scotrail should be spouting this guff to the Scotsman. The driver sounded the horn in accordance with whistle boards and a fault occurred. I hope ASLEF are all over this as this isn't on.

On Moderation
just wondering if the reliability issues are because of, or despite, the mods at Brush?
Despite. The work at Brush is predominantly bodywork and corrosion condition work, plus the addition of traction/brake interlock to work with the modified coaches.

jingsmonty

This is Clayhills depot next to Aberdeen station, Scotrail HST with GWR carriages, is this for service or driver training?

I'd imagine this was the start of the HST sets being marshalled for entering service in December - however, may possibly be for staff training on slam doors

jingsmonty

As per usual, The Scotsman spouti g a load of rubbish. The explanation that the horn valve stuck open sounds correct to me - I can't imagine that the 'sounding the horn too much' is in any way plausible.

If I was the driver concerned, I'd be tempted to take this further & I'd definetly be absolutely livid about my professional competence being called into question!!

connormill

I'd imagine this was the start of the HST sets being marshalled for entering service in December - however, may possibly be for staff training on slam doors

I'd suspect the former as the same is happening at the depot north of Glasgow Queen Street (can't remember name)

2 x 4 Car Slam Door HST's sitting there too,

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Some text from the article to comply with the forum rules on quotes:

It’s being reported that the first of ScotRail’s refurbished InterCity 125 trains broke down because the driver honked the train’s horn too much. The service was heading from Aberdeen to Edinburgh when the driver reportedly pressed the air horn for too long, which created an air leak.

As per usual, The Scotsman spouting a load of rubbish.

"The Hootsman" used to be quite a good paper - now it seems to be more of a tabloid rather than a serious one.

Highland37

Established Member
The Scotsman is about as Scottish as Ben Fogle and trying to be as conservative as it can. At the heart of conservatism is a resistance to change so any changes are viewed as bad.

Clearly a 40 year old train will not be as reliable as a newer one, all things being equal. But the biggest story here is astounding slowness of Wabtec.

scotraildriver

Established Member
An internal e-mail has been released categorically stating the fault was nothing to do with the driver, and no such rubbish had been released to the press.

Status
Not open for further replies.