ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by Clansman, 12 Nov 2016.

1. Clansman

Clansman Established Member

The sooner the better.

5 units out of 30-40 odd 170s and my pot luck in getting saddled with them is making me wish for a replacement bus. Awful states.

The oldest relatively untouched interiors on the UK network? 21 years and counting...

On the plus side it's nice to see the refurbs finally becoming more common. Looking forward to the time when you know the buffet will always be open!

Last edited: 8 Jan 2020
  2. Speed43125

Speed43125 Member

Would I be right in saying the relative calm of this thread suggests service over the last fortnight has been up to scratch and there isn't stuff to complain about?

3. InOban

InOban Established Member

Which is why it was proposed that the cycle spaces in the power cars be used solely for end-to-end journeys.

4. Goldromans

Goldromans Member

Using the power cars to store bikes and large items of luggage would be a real game changer on many journeys. I really hope now that all the HST diagrams are now actually being operated by HSTs, this is something to come. On a similar note, is the plan still to have two catering staff on-board, one for buffet and one for the trolley? If so, now would surely be the time to start doing it!

5. JohnR

JohnR Member

I think you may be right. Every journey I've made this week has been on an HST - half of them on a refurb set as well. Think the drivers have been getting to grips with the performance as well, as slight delays have been recovered easily, whereas before Christmas, it always seemed that a late departure would alway result in a late arrival.

6. Highland37

Highland37 Established Member

Why are you sure?

7. John Bishop

John Bishop Member

Another 11 sets out today.

8. Speed43125

Speed43125 Member

Well, the last three sets delivered have been all very quickly accepted into daily service (no leaky roofs etc) and GWR and XC work is nearing completion, so they no doubt now have plenty of practise performing the work and then will only have the Scotrail sets to work on. Obviously as more sets that have been refurbished properly arrive, their proportion will increase in the fleet and improve overall reliability.
    I would struggle to see a scenario where service worsens from this (seemingly) all time high.

9. fishquinn

fishquinn Established Member Quizmaster

And again today.

10. superkev

superkev Established Member

Is that 11 refurbished sets?
    Thanks
    K

11. JohnR

JohnR Member

I dont know if I'm tempting fate, but all week this week I have had HST sets - about half of them have been refurbs. This is substantially the best period in over a year.

Also, it feels as if the drivers have finally got used to the new traction as well. They are often turning up early (something that has almost never happened before), and on some occasions have managed to make up any lost time.

This morning was a case in point. A classic service meant that we were 1 minute late leaving (due to door duties etc), yet despite a TSR at Broughty Ferry, we arrived in Dundee 2 minutes early.

12. DannyMich2018

DannyMich2018 Member

Mostly. There are 10 refurbs done so far so likely to be say 7 or 8 refurbs and others classics in service.

13. Far north 37

Far north 37 Established Member

They only have ten refurbished sets dont they.

14. hexagon789

hexagon789 Established Member

No, probably about 4 or so of those will be Classics, that's about average

15. hexagon789

Yes, HA17 to HA26

16. 43096

43096 Established Member

7 refurb, 4 classic.

17. Highland37

My first ever refurbished HST. 1727 from Inverness. It's quieter than a 170 but it doesn't feel like a new train. Certainly better than a 170 apart from two things.

1. The lighting is awful and really spoils the ambiance. Far too bright. Is there a way of turning it down?

2. The bike provision is poor.

18. hexagon789

Yes, unless they've changed the controls, it can be done from within the passenger saloon iirc

Indeed, but the proposal to extend the sets up to 5-car with TGS vehicles would hopefully address this at least partially.

19. BRX

BRX Established Member

Unfortunately it's not just the brightness, but the colour temperature (too blue) that is wrong.

20. Highland37

Thankfully a passenger, definitely not me, searched this forum for the location of the switch and found it. When said passenger found the switch, it was turned to Dim and instant relief followed.

21. 43096

43096 Established Member

You can thank Great Western for that lighting. It was installed on refurb in 2007/8 and was universally condemned as far too bright. After a short while every coach was switched to the dim position and left there - they were still too bright but were less bright than they were.

22. Highland37

Every coach has the lighting has all the lights on. When I asked the guard, he didn't seem to know what to do.

23. hexagon789

Seems a fairly basic thing. Surely staff know how to put the lights on in the first place, so is it really too much to expect them to know about dimming them or indeed how to?

24. 43096

43096 Established Member

Perhaps they are too dim?
    ;)

25. route101

route101 Established Member

Wish you could do that on 385s too?

26. route101

route101 Established Member

I seen a Aberdeen HST service at Edinburgh , it had seat reservation tickets . I thought seat reservations were abolished?

27. PG

PG Member

Perhaps we should get some stickers made showing how to dim the lighting then add them in each carriage :rf:

28. Goldromans

Goldromans Member

Has this been confirmed, or just a rumour?

29. Paul Kerr

Paul Kerr Member

That made me chuckle :) in all seriousness though it does make you wonder about the training regime when stuff like this happens and also the stories going round about fitters who didn't know how to reset the ATP speedometer faults...

30. hexagon789

A bit harsh perhaps, but it certainly doesn't appear as though they are aware of the ability to dim the lighting somehow.