• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xlztt

Hi guys has anyone that's been on the reserve list from last year heard anything?

Not on a reserve list as such, but I passed my Scotrail DM interview in June 2015 and was put on hold as there weren't enough vacancies, so I couldn't proceed to the MMI.

I haven't heard anything since and I'd imagine, given the lapse of time, I'll have to start at the beginning were I to apply again.

cfields

Has anyone else had troubles with saving the application form? The email that came through just had a hyperlink for me to retrieve a forgotten password and then wouldn't let me return anyone! So I've had to start again... Watch out! :P

stretchdj74

Has anyone applied for the Aberdeen Trainee Driver position who does not live within an hour of the depot? Or Scotland? Not sure what the best option is to put down for both sections on the first page that asks if you live within an hour of the depot and what your local station. I am more then happy to relocate for this opportunity but am concerned that if I say I do not live within an hour and put my local station I will not pass the first stage.

What is the general consensus when applying for TOC's that are not in your area?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Macanacas

Has anyone applied for the Aberdeen Trainee Driver position who does not live within an hour of the depot? Or Scotland? Not sure what the best option is to put down for both sections on the first page that asks if you live within an hour of the depot and what your local station. I am more then happy to relocate for this opportunity but am concerned that if I say I do not live within an hour and put my local station I will not pass the first stage.

What is the general consensus when applying for TOC's that are not in your area?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey,

Just wanted to help with your question. I started as a trainee driver last march and on my course there was a guy who lived in Glasgow that was relocating to Edinburgh for a drivers position. He was an internal candidate so not quite sure if that helped him or not.
I suppose if you can pass all stages of assessment and are fully prepared to relocate if successful then I don't see it being an issue. You could maybe phone up HR and get a bit of advice before submitting your application.
Good luck

kickin aff

To anyone in the know, is there likely to be trainee driver jobs elsewhere in the country or do they have a pool of drivers waiting to start when positions arise?

Kirkk007

New to this forum well I've been looking for a long time just became a member about 6 minutes ago, so I've applied for the position in Aberdeen for trainee and have been invited for an assessment day in Glasgow on Wednesday this is to partake in;

TEA-Occ Concentration test
Group Bourdon Safety Test
Train Ability Part One
Train Ability Part Two

There is plenty on this forum and online about the first two parts which I have been and currently reading up on/practicing, the last two I'm not so sure... any tips, pointers or general advice would be much appreciated thanks

stretchdj74

Hey,

Just wanted to help with your question. I started as a trainee driver last march and on my course there was a guy who lived in Glasgow that was relocating to Edinburgh for a drivers position. He was an internal candidate so not quite sure if that helped him or not.
I suppose if you can pass all stages of assessment and are fully prepared to relocate if successful then I don't see it being an issue. You could maybe phone up HR and get a bit of advice before submitting your application.
Good luck

Thanks for your reply. I emailed HR and they responded the following day saying that as long as I stipulate on the application form that I would be happy to relocate then that would be fine.

scotraildriver

Established Member
New to this forum well I've been looking for a long time just became a member about 6 minutes ago, so I've applied for the position in Aberdeen for trainee and have been invited for an assessment day in Glasgow on Wednesday this is to partake in;

TEA-Occ Concentration test
Group Bourdon Safety Test
Train Ability Part One
Train Ability Part Two

There is plenty on this forum and online about the first two parts which I have been and currently reading up on/practicing, the last two I'm not so sure... any tips, pointers or general advice would be much appreciated thanks

The trainability tests basically require you to listen to and retain information and answer questions on it. It used to be called "glop" where you listened to a passage and had to remember things like what colour switch does what etc. You can take notes so write down key points. There is another test which requires you to pick out all the plumbers from a page of the yellow pages. And a third which you have to listen to a lift moving and work out which floor it has stopped at. Also the dials test as well. Basically all aimed at determining your ability to do exactly what you have been asked to do. Do what they ask,no more,no less and you will be fine.

Kirkk007

thanks very much have been looking on multiple sites for information and videos on what to expect and have came across a few mostly actually on this site, even youtube, what is the dials test?
also is there somewhere I can print out lots of examples of the bourdon test as ive only got iphone and ipad so the sticky on the sub forum does not work.
just to add I have been sent the 'train driver assessment' booklet from RSSB 2013/14 to work through
thanks

Last edited:

stretchdj74

Applied for the Aberdeen Trainee Driver post and have just had an email saying 'Thank you for applying but not this time'

Good luck to the rest of you.

Kirkk007

Hi all just a quick update, got through the written tests I attained the standard set in all tests, so I was very happy to see this email. The invigilators there on the day at the end said that the next step was actually the interview with the local manager, then if successful at that stage would go back and do the computer tests. I have since spoken with 2 scotrail driver, 1 a trainee who has just handed in their book, the other an established driver, both of whom have me some advice on the interview. They both said go to a train station speak to them ask them drivers about as much as I could, find out about WON's and PON's which one of the drivers gave me his, in the interview itself they have 'buzzwords' almost, very health and safety orientated with communication second, but also the company likes you to know that it is also a business. I'm expecting this interview within next few weeks as the start date is June/July, any help, tips and pointers for this stage would of course be appreciated thanks

actonman53

Applied for Aberdeen, e-mail back saying "thanks for applying, can't give feedback at this stage", also heard that SR were going to recruit current qualified drivers for this advery and that they also had an extra week to apply~?

Jydo

Hi all just a quick update, got through the written tests I attained the standard set in all tests, so I was very happy to see this email. The invigilators there on the day at the end said that the next step was actually the interview with the local manager, then if successful at that stage would go back and do the computer tests. I have since spoken with 2 scotrail driver, 1 a trainee who has just handed in their book, the other an established driver, both of whom have me some advice on the interview. They both said go to a train station speak to them ask them drivers about as much as I could, find out about WON's and PON's which one of the drivers gave me his, in the interview itself they have 'buzzwords' almost, very health and safety orientated with communication second, but also the company likes you to know that it is also a business. I'm expecting this interview within next few weeks as the start date is June/July, any help, tips and pointers for this stage would of course be appreciated thanks

Firstly, you need to mentally prepare yourself for this interview, there are gonna be two of them asking you questions and potentially trying to make you feel uncomfortable so its very important to remain calm and to try not to show them your nerves. Its maybe also worth getting your family or friends to do a mock interview with you?

Anyway, I passed this stage 18 months ago, I put in alot of preperation and it paid off. I started my prep by calling up my local depot to ask if they could show me round, they told me to call back the next day so I called back the next day and they said unfortunately they were really busy and couldn't accomadate me, so I just went away and gathered as much information as I could about Motherwell and when I had enough I picked out the key stuff and focused on that, I also gathered some information about Glasgow Central aswell - but don't go overboard with information though, I found out and spoke about the types on traction at Motherwell, the 'link' rota shift system, how many ScotRail services run from there per day, how many drivers, earliest start times and latest finish times, I also said Motherwell is a unique station as you can get services to Glasgow from 3 different platforms. As for Glasgow Central it was pretty much the same, how many platforms, earliest / latest services etc etc etc.

The interview is mainly about yourself, I started off mine by summarising a brief run through of my career thus far, dont go on and on about it, just try to be brief and concise. If I remember rightly I was then asked stuff like if I knew the role of a train driver? Why I wanted to be a train driver? If I knew protocol on dealing with suicides, If I could cope with suicides? Staying alert and focused throughout your working day, safety checks of vehicles, spoke about communication aswell, In my spare time I am a part-time DJ so I opted to tell them this thinking it would get me good brownie points as I have no trouble communicating with large crowds over a PA system - but both interviewers tried to used this against me by saying that I might not turn up for work if I have a gig the night before a shift, one of the interviewers actually said "this is raising alarm bells and a red flag for me" so it kind of unsettled me but at the end of the interview when they said would you like to add anything else? I reiterated to them that if I was successful with a job then I would turn down the gigs as I wouldnt let it interfere with my job, they seemed happy at that.

I was fortunate as the two folk interviewing me weren't that bad, others who had interviews around the same time as me spoke about how difficult and hard the interviewers were, sort of a good cop bad cop scenario.

The main thing is to try and stay calm and not to get flustered, focus on all the information you will gather and also be prepared if they throw you a curved ball. When my interview first started one of the interviewers were scribbling down everything, when I got some feedback from the interview by HR they said I was initially nervious but I soon calmed down and they were impressed with what I said to them.

Understand what you need to know and go away and gather the information and prepare, I wouldn't spend too much time on this forum looking for info.......

Hope this helps in some way

Last edited:

Senshi

Alrite people, i havent posted on here for a while, just checked and the last time was when i was training.

Check back to page 86 to see my last update.

Well i passed out in august last year, what happened with me was once all my book was upto date my DTM sends me and it over to Op Standards to get it Verified, basically handing the book to them and having a quick chat.

In the meantime you still go out with a DI but not logging any hours. It took about a week or 2 for them to crosscheck all paperwork from me. Then you go back over and have a final interview with whoever verified your work. Once that interview is done they hand you your license and give you a pep talk (nothing you dont already know by that point)

You then immediately go over to your DTM and they give you a jobsheet, tell you to go do a run yourself, some people find this very scary but i actually prefered doing it myself as opposed to having a driving instructor there.

Since then everythings been good, no incidents. Had a few toe curling moments but thats expected lol.
Im not going to lie the shifts are sometimes horrible, sometimes starting at 4am, sometimes finishing at 1.30am, sometimes working upto 13 shifts in a row (maximum shifts you can do) but its worth it. Every 3 weeks getting 5 days off, midweek rest days are handy, additional payments for sunday working, good banter in the bothy (depending what side of the shift your on lol) all in all its a good job but the hardest part by far is dealing with fatigue and boredom. Ive always been more than comfortable in my own company but this is a different ball game.

I HATED coffee before i started this job, now its my best friend at 4am!!

Anybody needs more info on anything give me a message, ill be happy to help!

GOOD LUCK

Sutty123

Hi folks,

Can anyone assist with which key information you should ask the DTM when visiting the station prior to interview?

So far I've thought of routes, stops, number of services, traction, line upgrades, booking on/off times, shift patterns and recent incidents.

Appreciate if anyone can chip in with anything else.

theironroad

Established Member
Alrite people, i havent posted on here for a while, just checked and the last time was when i was training.

Well i passed out in august last year, what happened with me was once all my book was upto date my DTM sends me and it over to Op Standards to get it Verified, basically handing the book to them and having a quick chat.

In the meantime you still go out with a DI but not logging any hours. It took about a week or 2 for them to crosscheck all paperwork from me. Then you go back over and have a final interview with whoever verified your work. Once that interview is done they hand you your license and give you a pep talk (nothing you dont already know by that point)

You then immediately go over to your DTM and they give you a jobsheet, tell you to go do a run yourself, some people find this very scary but i actually prefered doing it myself as opposed to having a driving instructor there.

Since then everythings been good, no incidents. Had a few toe curling moments but thats expected lol.
Im not going to lie the shifts are sometimes horrible, sometimes starting at 4am, sometimes finishing at 1.30am, sometimes working upto 13 shifts in a row (maximum shifts you can do) but its worth it. Every 3 weeks getting 5 days off, midweek rest days are handy, additional payments for sunday working, good banter in the bothy (depending what side of the shift your on lol) all in all its a good job but the hardest part by far is dealing with fatigue and boredom. Ive always been more than comfortable in my own company but this is a different ball game.

GOOD LUCK

Glad to hear you're getting on well.

I've been driving just over 10 years and the boredom and extreme shifts are certainly the worst part of the job.

I'm assuming that where you say working up to 13 shifts in a row is you working 1 or 2 free days in there. If you're base rostered a compulsory 13 days in a row then your reps need firing!!!

djsmith200

GOOD LUCK

What did you work as before? You pleased you made the right decision?

Senshi

Glad to hear you're getting on well.

I've been driving just over 10 years and the boredom and extreme shifts are certainly the worst part of the job.

I'm assuming that where you say working up to 13 shifts in a row is you working 1 or 2 free days in there. If you're base rostered a compulsory 13 days in a row then your reps need firing!!!

Nah that was with a couple rdw ofcourse, we have a good rep :)

Flying_Turtle

GOOD LUCK

If you don't complement coffee with something else in a few years you also might have esomeprazol as your best friend too! ;)

Kirkk007

Ok folks have now progressed as far as computer tests below;

Situational Judgement Exercise
3 Computerised Tests on Vigilance and Perception
Multi-modal Interview with Recruitment Assessor

I know I was 1 of 44 for interviews so very happy I have progressed as far as I have! Just need to get over this last hurdle, for the MMI i feel I have lots of examples for different questions and scenarios and can explain in as much detail as they require. The 3 computer tests, looking at white screen with grey box flashing, 2hand coordination I should be ok left hand up and down right hand left to right. Perception test looking at image for under 2 seconds then selecting what is there, could be ok with hopefully!

The SJE... through the examples in the booklet I've noticed there are some scenarios where depending who it would be helpful for could be either side of the scale the example was. It's 2pm you stared at 9am and manager asks you to pick someone up at 10pm, there are different scenarios but who are these to be most helpful for? As I could answer one way to help manager but I would suffer through, and vice versa my manager would suffer but I would be ok, obviously arguments for both sides?
What is the best way to answer these questions? My personal self with safety etc in mind or helping out the manager with safety potentially taking a hit?

Any help on all of the above will of course be appreciated, tips and pointers!
It will certainly hurt more if I fall at this hurdle having passed the previous...

donpoku

Ok folks have now progressed as far as computer tests below;

Situational Judgement Exercise

3 Computerised Tests on Vigilance and Perception

Multi-modal Interview with Recruitment Assessor

I know I was 1 of 44 for interviews so very happy I have progressed as far as I have! Just need to get over this last hurdle, for the MMI i feel I have lots of examples for different questions and scenarios and can explain in as much detail as they require. The 3 computer tests, looking at white screen with grey box flashing, 2hand coordination I should be ok left hand up and down right hand left to right. Perception test looking at image for under 2 seconds then selecting what is there, could be ok with hopefully!

The SJE... through the examples in the booklet I've noticed there are some scenarios where depending who it would be helpful for could be either side of the scale the example was. It's 2pm you stared at 9am and manager asks you to pick someone up at 10pm, there are different scenarios but who are these to be most helpful for? As I could answer one way to help manager but I would suffer through, and vice versa my manager would suffer but I would be ok, obviously arguments for both sides?

What is the best way to answer these questions? My personal self with safety etc in mind or helping out the manager with safety potentially taking a hit?

Any help on all of the above will of course be appreciated, tips and pointers!

It will certainly hurt more if I fall at this hurdle having passed the previous...

Always Help out your manager unless they ask you to do something unsafe like skip your checks so service can be on time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk