• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SkinnyDave

Established Member
There are a lot of DB Schenker men jumping across too which will have an affect on Trainee Numbers

There are a lot of DB Schenker men jumping across too which will have an affect on Trainee Numbers

The DBS lot had to pass Driver manager interviews just the same as potential trainee applicants. From what I've heard a fair few of them weren't too impressive at interview and didn't progress.

St Mikey

Congrats to those progressing.

I got another knock back and I'm internal. 10+ years as a guard with an unblemished record. The interview process is pot luck and depending on who you get.

As for people applying externally, your interviews are vastly easier than ours and for my particular depot, there have been multiple external candidates progressing and 2 or 3 promotions out of 40/50 new jobs raised due to government funding for new employees.

My advice would be to keep trying externally as there's not much scope of progression in a lower grade due to Abellios core principle of "treating money as if it were their own"

Good Luck to those who progressed.

mw1967

So unfortunately I won't be progressing any further than the Managers interview. I asked for some feedback on where my interview was weakest (to improve future interviews) but was told I hadn't failed. The managers felt I had a good interview but due to the large number of applicants, not all would progress to the next stage. Upside is, in future driver applications I pick up the process where I left and as it's not classed as a fail it doesn't count as one of my 2 attempts. Very best of luck to those going onto the next stage.

Last edited:

Macanacas

So unfortunately I won't be progressing any further than the Managers interview. I asked for some feedback on where my interview was weakest (to improve future interviews) but was told I hadn't failed. The managers felt I had a good interview but due to the large number of applicants, not all would progress to the next stage. Upside is, in future driver applications I pick up the process where I left and as it's not classed as a fail it doesn't count as one of my 2 attempts. Very best of luck to those going onto the next stage.

Sorry to hear that. However the good news is u never failed it and can pick up from that stage. The email I received said thank u for recently attending your interview and then went on to say that as my performance at the interview was of good standard they would like to keep me on reserve for 12 months, I'm not sure if it meant the MMI or the managers interview?

Last edited:

Graham82

Firstly congrats to all those who were successful and eveyone else best of luck for the future.

Would anyone know how often Scotrail recruits Trainee Driver's, or any other rail company?

I am currently in full time work (Army) and wish to become a driver in about 6-7 years.

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

mw1967

I got another knock back and I'm internal. 10+ years as a guard with an unblemished record. The interview process is pot luck and depending on who you get.

Good Luck to those who progressed.

Sorry to hear that St Mikey. What stage did you get to? Im internal too and sounds like you may have got the same email as I did. Sat the DMI, 'passed' but will not progress any further.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Firstly congrats to all those who were successful and eveyone else best of luck for the future.

Would anyone know how often Scotrail recruits Trainee Driver's, or any other rail company?

I am currently in full time work (Army) and wish to become a driver in about 6-7 years.

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

I think Scotrail (and other TOCs) take on drivers each year to replace those who are retiring/moving on etc). I would guess the numbers vary. Anyhoo, I would register online for job alerts via the Scotrail (or whoever) website. Keep up to date with current vacancies.

paepo

Has anyone heard of anyone failing the managers interview?
Obviously people don't want to advertise this as they see it as a failure but from looking on here and from speaking to people I haven't heard of anyone failing it.
Have people received emails saying that unfortunately they won't be moving forward in the process or is it that they have "interviewed to a good standard but due to the number of applicants they wont move forward and their details will be held on file for 12months"????
Just wondering if everyone who hasn't been offered a job is getting the same email or if some people are going into a talent pool.

mw1967

Obviously people don't want to advertise this as they see it as a failure but from looking on here and from speaking to people I haven't heard of anyone failing it.
Have people received emails saying that unfortunately they won't be moving forward in the process or is it that they have "interviewed to a good standard but due to the number of applicants they wont move forward and their details will be held on file for 12months"????
Just wondering if everyone who hasn't been offered a job is getting the same email or if some people are going into a talent pool.

I am one of those who got the "interviewing managers indicated you had a good interview but ...... etc......blah blah......."

I have spoken to two other internal applicants who did indeed fail the interview.

However, I've read on here of external applicants passing all stages including medicals and being put on waiting list.

Also heard 'through the grapevine' (that old chestnut) that very few internals will be progressed to job role. And that there were more like 60 jobs. Not the 100 new posts advertised.

josecc

I failed the managers interview. Got told about 2 weeks ago

Jydo

However, I've read on here of external applicants passing all stages including medicals and being put on waiting list.

Are you talking about previous advertising campaigns or this one in particular? There have been applicants in the past (like you said) that passed everything, heard nothing for months......not even being given the courtesy and told about being on a reserve list or in the talent pool or anything..........then out the blue many months later they get an email or a phone call with a job offer.

Im sure most would agree when I say that things could be done with a bit more transparency for everyone involved.......especially since its a stressful & anxious process for most individuals........

PinOnTheRight

External here, passed all stages by end of November. Informed few hours after final stage that they would be in touch the following week regarding medical. Nothing for three weeks. Then an e-mail saying we'll keep you on the list.

mw1967

Are you talking about previous advertising campaigns or this one in particular? There have been applicants in the past (like you said) that passed everything, heard nothing for months......not even being given the courtesy and told about being on a reserve list or in the talent pool or anything..........then out the blue many months later they get an email or a phone call with a job offer.

Im sure most would agree when I say that things could be done with a bit more transparency for everyone involved.......especially since its a stressful & anxious process for most individuals........

Hi Jydo, It's this particular campaign Im referring to. I have much sympathy for those I've noticed getting a date for medical (when I would assume the jobs in the bag unless you've been up to no good!) then seeing their next post saying 'passed medical and told Im on the waiting list'. I totally agree with you that there could've been a lot more transparency in the process. Where are you at yourself? I thought I'd seen u posting on here previously about a start date for training.

Jydo

Hi Jydo, It's this particular campaign Im referring to. I have much sympathy for those I've noticed getting a date for medical (when I would assume the jobs in the bag unless you've been up to no good!) then seeing their next post saying 'passed medical and told Im on the waiting list'. I totally agree with you that there could've been a lot more transparency in the process. Where are you at yourself? I thought I'd seen u posting on here previously about a start date for training.

Alot of it comes down to the DBS freight drivers, they were all at least guaranteed an interview, some drivers failed that, other drivers plain and simply didnt want to go to Scotrail for various reasons while some drivers have. To be fair I think HR have had a difficult job on their hands to juggle some folk about until they got an idea of final numbers regarding the freight men. Unfortunately things have changed since the original advertisement went out plus the union have a very big say about what goes on within the rail industry. I also have alot of sympathy for the people you mentioned, I think there must be other candidates (from previous recruitment drives) who have went through the whole process, passed everything and never heard from Scotrail again, thats pretty crap if you ask me...........Im sure there is a guy in this very thread who passed everything then got an email saying he wouldnt be progressing any further and they would not be keeping his details on file?!?!?!?!?!?!...........I suppose in many ways its alot 'easier' to understand things if you fail during any part of the process, at least you know where you stand.

As for me I passed every stage during this process (which I am really proud of) but I cant really mention anything else other than that on a public forum. Im still working for my current employer and Im still hopeful of getting a job on the railway. Thats about the size of it.

rfc boy

This thread has gone pretty quiet. What stage are people at? I passed my 2nd assessment last week and waiting now hopefully for a medical.

Galasteve

What depot is that for rfc boy? How quickly did you find out after dtm interview that u were through?

rfc boy

What depot is that for rfc boy? How quickly did you find out after dtm interview that u were through?

I'm in for Edinburgh. I found out about 3 weeks after my managers interview that I had progressed. So I found out about that a few days before Christmas.

Galasteve

I'm in for Edinburgh. I found out about 3 weeks after my managers interview that I had progressed. So I found out about that a few days before Christmas.

Congrats on getting through, ur a lucky man!!

Was it a phone call or email you got?

Galasteve

Cheers. I've got my fingers crossed that I get that phone call.

I'll pestering u for tips if I do...??????