• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

golfingdaddy

Sitting on top of trainees? Really?
So the reduced cab distance is mitigated by PPE. If all the cab training is stopped until the virus goes, then the trainees will be off work until next year possibly more, which is clearly not practical. Once the ASLEF trial is completed, I suspect training will recommence.
Yes, really.
Obviously when trainee drivers have a bit more experience then the instructor can relax a bit more but initially they're right next to you.
Hopefully trainee's will get the go ahead to return after the trial is completed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BC25

Yes, really.
Obviously when trainee drivers have a bit more experience then the instructor can relax a bit more but initially they're right next to you.
Hopefully trainee's will get the go ahead to return after the trial is completed.

Any idea when the trial is due to be completed?

kickin aff

No idea when it is due to be completed but there are 3 TOC's involved in the trial. They are looking at monitoring training bubbles between trainee and DI. They are looking at trainees driving 3 hrs 20 mins each day, this being due to exposure levels, and the rest of the shift at home studying.

hiall

The problem with 2 in the cab is not the social distance measures but that it's in an enclosed space with someone for a long period of time.

It is not sustainable to have trainees sitting in the house so I just hope the tocs can come up with a safe solution to avoid anything drastic happening to the trainees.

Vertigo

Nonsense.
It will be sustainable for as long as it takes to come to a resolution. Nothing can happen until the trial is completed and it is agreed locally that it is safe for trainees & DIs to be in the cab together. It is just a matter of when not if.
Aslef has stated that no jobs are at risk due to COVID-19. To say that something drastic will happen regarding trainees is ridiculous.

hiall

We know the unions influence is strong but it does have it limits. With no inflow of cash and costs remaining the same, I would guess decisions will have to be made at all levels across the business.

Uk railway tocs are not immune to the covid economic damage that's occurring and will be no different to other businesses out there and anyone thinking different could be in for a shock.

golfingdaddy

The problem with 2 in the cab is not the social distance measures but that it's in an enclosed space with someone for a long period of time.

It is not sustainable to have trainees sitting in the house so I just hope the tocs can come up with a safe solution to avoid anything drastic happening to the trainees.
Seems a bit alarmist.
Like vertigo said, it's a matter of when, not if, when trainees return. Toc's & Aslef etc just need to find a solution that works for everyone.

Albagubrath

We know the unions influence is strong but it does have it limits. With no inflow of cash and costs remaining the same, I would guess decisions will have to be made at all levels across the business.

Uk railway tocs are not immune to the covid economic damage that's occurring and will be no different to other businesses out there and anyone thinking different could be in for a shock.

I take it you are unaware that the government has temporarily suspended all TOC Franchise agreements during COVID-19 and they are actually paying the TOC’s a Fee to run the railway during this time??

So yes the Railway and TOC’S are different to other businesses as they are not making any loss during this time. By the time the government hand the franchise agreements back the rail industry will be back to normal.

craigm2809

Sorry for jumping in midway through the thread with a question that’s potentially been answered elsewhere already, but does anyone know when the next intake of trainee driver recruitment is likely to begin (notwithstanding all the COVID related uncertainty)? Thanks

kickin aff

Sorry for jumping in midway through the thread with a question that’s potentially been answered elsewhere already, but does anyone know when the next intake of trainee driver recruitment is likely to begin (notwithstanding all the COVID related uncertainty)? Thanks

ScotRail were looking to recruit a further 200 new trainee drivers this year, through candidates that have stated the process already and from a new advertising campaign. Its likely ones that have already started the process may continue before the end of the year with the new recruitment campaign starting towards the end of this year or now into next year.
It all really depends on where we are with the pandemic.

craigm2809

ScotRail were looking to recruit a further 200 new trainee drivers this year, through candidates that have stated the process already and from a new advertising campaign. Its likely ones that have already started the process may continue before the end of the year with the new recruitment campaign starting towards the end of this year or now into next year.
Thank you - I’ll keep watching the vacancies

Stigy

Established Member
The stumbling block is the 2 Meter Distancing! Once the distance is reduced which is looking very likely across the whole of the U.K. by 15th July the training will start up again. Watch this space.
Well, that never happened.... :D

Kuksoolgirl

Was there any indication what constituted having started the process? I'm on reserve ( initial 6 months, extended , pre-covid, til the end of this year) . I was hopeful they would progress with current reserve candidates, before opening up a new recruitment drive. Although I guess it depends where they need drivers? Any thoughts on whether Scotrail would advertise for specific areas in that case as opposed to national recruitment like last May?

Begbiewatch

Has any1 heard anything about interviews starting soon? I heard they where possibly looking at using Microsoft team for interviews

golfingdaddy

Was there any indication what constituted having started the process? I'm on reserve ( initial 6 months, extended , pre-covid, til the end of this year) . I was hopeful they would progress with current reserve candidates, before opening up a new recruitment drive. Although I guess it depends where they need drivers? Any thoughts on whether Scotrail would advertise for specific areas in that case as opposed to national recruitment like last May?

They will be so short of drivers within the next couple of years that they'll need to have at least one more recruitment drive.

Not heard anything about it happening anytime soon though.

All current trainee's are still at home with no definite date for their return.

hiall

Doubt there will be any training until dis concerns regarding safety are met which I hear are a long way off. They are also working for for little reward financially so that will need looked at I would guess before any movement. There are further concerns and problems which need to be looked at before any form or training resumes.

John Bishop

Doubt there will be any training until dis concerns regarding safety are met which I hear are a long way off. They are also working for for little reward financially so that will need looked at I would guess before any movement. There are further concerns and problems which need to be looked at before any form or training resumes.

What concerns and problems is there? It seems like there are a few people starting to milk the current situation now and drag things out as long as possible.

hiall

What concerns and problems is there? It seems like there are a few people starting to milk the current situation now and drag things out as long as possible.
What are people meant to be milking, sorry? Major issues include to name a few Pnbs, cab time, assessments, covid testing, tempreture testing and continued monitoring. There are many hurdles to overcome and it won't be sorted in near future I guess.

John Bishop

PNBs- there has been extra bothy space been provided to ensure social distancing can remain, as for the other issues, why are they a problem? Other TOCs are resuming/ have resumed training with the same ASLEF requirements in place. Why are Scotrail different?

hiall

PNBs- there has been extra bothy space been provided to ensure social distancing can remain, as for the other issues, why are they a problem? Other TOCs are resuming/ have resumed training with the same ASLEF requirements in place. Why are Scotrail different?
Bothy space in the network I operate on is severely reduced and we are having some problems with spoiled Pnbs currently.

dis, quite rightly, are looking for more recognition for the role they carry out and for more of a safety net in regards to incidents that may occur with the trainee

hiall

No in cab driver training at scotrail for the foreseeable future I have been told this morning. Methods that were considered had risks to the DI and trainee and therefor were not workable. I'm sure this will put a few dis minds at ease.