• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Stigy

Established Member
No in cab driver training at scotrail for the foreseeable future I have been told this morning. Methods that were considered had risks to the DI and trainee and therefor were not workable. I'm sure this will put a few dis minds at ease.
Just in case they happen to get infected from the same trainee they’re paired with now for the remainder of handling, of whom will be masked up and undergo regular temperature checks.

Must be a terrible old business for the DIs to not be visiting bars, gyms, shops and restaurants which are now open. Oh, wait....

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Daydr3am3r

Just in case they happen to get infected from the same trainee they’re paired with now for the remainder of handling, of whom will be masked up and undergo regular temperature checks.

Must be a terrible old business for the DIs to not be visiting bars, gyms, shops and restaurants which are now open. Oh, wait....

Hmm you’ve got a point Stigy. I understand that some with health issues maybe nervous of taking a trainee, but what else can be offered?

If this is true then it could be some time before trainees resume for Scotrail.

pendy12

Seems strange that the process is continuing with medicals for the trainee posts if there is no potential start date in sight

Stigy

Established Member
Hmm you’ve got a point Stigy. I understand that some with health issues maybe nervous of taking a trainee, but what else can be offered?

If this is true then it could be some time before trainees resume for Scotrail.
Exactly. Whatever happens, trainees need to return sooner or later. If DIs don’t want to instruct for fear of contracting covid then that is of course their decision. However, management will eventually have to assess what they do going forward as their establishment of DIs I guess?

John Bishop

No in cab driver training at scotrail for the foreseeable future I have been told this morning. Methods that were considered had risks to the DI and trainee and therefor were not workable. I'm sure this will put a few dis minds at ease.

What’s your source for this? Haven’t seen or heard anything from LLC/ reps about this.

kickin aff

Last I heard there was a possibility of some trainee's going back this week, but only those who had started with their DI's. Not sure if it happened though.
There is around half a dozen trainee drivers doing in cab training just now. Been doing it for a good few weeks now.

pendy12

There is around half a dozen trainee drivers doing in cab training just now. Been doing it for a good few weeks now.
That's what I was told, hence why the next batch are now awaiting medicals etc. I wonder where Hiall received his information

golfingdaddy

Ah OK. That's different from what other trainee drivers are being told. As far as they were aware no trainee drivers have returned yet.

5thrail

As a trainee who was about to qualify before lockdown, I can tell you there are no trainees in cab at this time. We are still awaiting agreement from all sides and a plan in place to meet new guidelines.

kickin aff

As a trainee who was about to qualify before lockdown, I can tell you there are no trainees in cab at this time. We are still awaiting agreement from all sides and a plan in place to meet new guidelines.
I can ensure you that there are. A number were approached who fitted a certain criteria. I don't know what the criteria was but I suspect it will be a certain amount of hours done and maybe depending who they live with etc.

There was then a discussion with each trainee, their DI and DTM. Some did not feel safe going back but around half a dozen were content too go back. This was approved by senior ScotRail management and Aslef. They have been back for a number of weeks now and of that small group some are about to be passed out as competent drivers.

5thrail

I can ensure you that there are. A number were approached who fitted a certain criteria. I don't know what the criteria was but I suspect it will be a certain amount of hours done and maybe depending who they live with etc.

There was then a discussion with each trainee, their DI and DTM. Some did not feel safe going back but around half a dozen were content too go back. This was approved by senior ScotRail management and Aslef. They have been back for a number of weeks now and of that small group some are about to be passed out as competent drivers.

My apologies mate. Yes there have been across the company. My remarks were about Edinburgh depot only.

ER158715

No, it's over the board.
Not in Inverness. A couple of qualified drivers went with a DI after being off for a while but trainees have not been out with DIs. Last info was that there was no agreement reached for the return of training.

Driver1122

Just to put 1 or 2 things straight. As there is a lot of negativity, especially from one person in last few pages. I joined after a few trainees pointed out this forum and worried about some things being said.
So please allow me to put a few things straight.

I’m at scotrail, in the driving grade, in aslef and stay active in updates etc. The last aslef meeting was recently (on Zoom) last week

- getting Training back is in both aslef and scotrails best intreast. There is a few things to clear up on both ends.There was a meeting to be held over the last few days, however due to the horrible events at Stonehaven that is not possible just now! But it will happen in coming weeks.

- job loss, Of course if the world does not return to normal after many years, drivers MAY loose there jobs, who knows the answer to that. It costs a lot of money to train drivers they won’t drop them over night. However there is reports that rail travel will rise on the worlds return due to eco reasons. Also eco tourism they say will be on the rise, for example there is talks of the sleeper going to Europe. Also if they expect rail travel to die, Would the government have went ahead with HS2 ? Spending billions on upgrading the railway announced during lockdown.

but keep two things in mind; scotrail are ‘chronically‘ short of drivers, it was said in the last aslef general meeting! And scotrail can’t run a full service due to that! As you seen online.

They were still aiming to recruit another 150+ drivers before this happened. And I’ve seen two people this week saying they have medicals coming up! So there recruitment has started again.

Anyone who claims this/that will happen is guessing at best! No one knows, this is the 1st time in our generation anything like this has happened.

I have worked in the railway for many years! It dose not work like the “normal” world. My one piece of advice when you join is there are many “ bothy MPs” who know it all....they don’t.

This is hopefully a once in a lifetime event! Use this time wisely, enjoy the free time, learn a new skill, read more etc.

John Bishop

^^^ well said.
Im still waiting for that person to name his source for that very bold statement he made. I may be waiting a while.

pendy12

Just to put 1 or 2 things straight. As there is a lot of negativity, especially from one person in last few pages. I joined after a few trainees pointed out this forum and worried about some things being said.
So please allow me to put a few things straight.

I’m at scotrail, in the driving grade, in aslef and stay active in updates etc. The last aslef meeting was recently (on Zoom) last week

- getting Training back is in both aslef and scotrails best intreast. There is a few things to clear up on both ends.There was a meeting to be held over the last few days, however due to the horrible events at Stonehaven that is not possible just now! But it will happen in coming weeks.

- job loss, Of course if the world does not return to normal after many years, drivers MAY loose there jobs, who knows the answer to that. It costs a lot of money to train drivers they won’t drop them over night. However there is reports that rail travel will rise on the worlds return due to eco reasons. Also eco tourism they say will be on the rise, for example there is talks of the sleeper going to Europe. Also if they expect rail travel to die, Would the government have went ahead with HS2 ? Spending billions on upgrading the railway announced during lockdown.

but keep two things in mind; scotrail are ‘chronically‘ short of drivers, it was said in the last aslef general meeting! And scotrail can’t run a full service due to that! As you seen online.

They were still aiming to recruit another 150+ drivers before this happened. And I’ve seen two people this week saying they have medicals coming up! So there recruitment has started again.

Anyone who claims this/that will happen is guessing at best! No one knows, this is the 1st time in our generation anything like this has happened.

I have worked in the railway for many years! It dose not work like the “normal” world. My one piece of advice when you join is there are many “ bothy MPs” who know it all....they don’t.

This is hopefully a once in a lifetime event! Use this time wisely, enjoy the free time, learn a new skill, read more etc.
I really appreciate you coming forward and saying all this rather than people speculating under the guise of being told something by someone.

Driver1122

^^^ well said.
Im still waiting for that person to name his source for that very bold statement he made. I may be waiting a while.
He may well have heard that information in the mess room! However I’ve heard a lot over my years. Most are not true.
The information I’ve fed is from the union/company direct that all drivers have access too.

Driver1122

I really appreciate you coming forward and saying all this rather than people speculating under the guise of being told something by someone.
A Large part of what anyone is options, including mine ( when talking about job loss, HS2 etc)
Aslef last meeting stated it is in there interest to get trainees back. It’s obviously in scotrails! They can’t run a 100% service.
I find the fact that boys have medicals weird due to fact trainees are in the house! However the obviously feel there close to a deal with aslef.

Paul Jones

Hi all. Interesting reading, the comments by Driver1122 are reassuring, always good to hear from someone in the know. Personally I’m still waiting on my 3rd assessment, my DMI was July 2019, got told I’d passed but was in the pool for 6 months then that got extended then covid hit and it’s all gone quiet, understandably so. Hopefully things will pick up soon.

Driver1122

Hi all. Interesting reading, the comments by Driver1122 are reassuring, always good to hear from someone in the know. Personally I’m still waiting on my 3rd assessment, my DMI was July 2019, got told I’d passed but was in the pool for 6 months then that got extended then covid hit and it’s all gone quiet, understandably so. Hopefully things will pick up soon.

Hi Paul, I’m 100% not in the know, by that I mean I’m not on company council or management, I don’t talk to many people about company issues etc
I’m just putting out the information that is being said; aslef have sent out a number of emails saying getting trainees back is in both interests. Scotrail have said there short of drivers if you go on there YouTube they talk about that. Covid issue one.
They also sent out an internal email talking about recruiting and how they look forward to doing that once they are able to.

Other TOCs are recruiting, that points at a national shortage.

We may never get a vac, the world may never return to normal and current drivers are in bother perhaps! Trains are currently ghost trains. So who knows!
Everyone is currently guessing. I just put out the information I read.

However the fact the seem to have started medicals for new starts again is 100% something promising! I’ve not heard that internal, only on here.

Since I have started this, all try update when I can.

ASLEF posted out to say the aspects of trainees training are agreed. Apart from; testing. How the training bubble personal will be tested. Scotrail want to try a method that needs approval from a certain body.

ASLEF posted out to say the aspects of trainees training are agreed. Apart from; testing. How the training bubble personal will be tested. Scotrail want to try a method that needs approval from a certain body.

Last edited:

Gedphones

Hi Paul, I’m 100% not in the know, by that I mean I’m not on company council or management, I don’t talk to many people about company issues etc
I’m just putting out the information that is being said; aslef have sent out a number of emails saying getting trainees back is in both interests. Scotrail have said there short of drivers if you go on there YouTube they talk about that. Covid issue one.
They also sent out an internal email talking about recruiting and how they look forward to doing that once they are able to.

Other TOCs are recruiting, that points at a national shortage.

We may never get a vac, the world may never return to normal and current drivers are in bother perhaps! Trains are currently ghost trains. So who knows!
Everyone is currently guessing. I just put out the information I read.

However the fact the seem to have started medicals for new starts again is 100% something promising! I’ve not heard that internal, only on here.

Hi mate, any idea what body it requires approval from? I'm a trainee myself and the sooner I get back the better. Heard on team meetings that none of the various unions involved can agree the route back for trainees. Obviously the safety of everyone involved is paramount and the unions protection of their members reflects this.

Driver1122

Hi mate, any idea what body it requires approval from? I'm a trainee myself and the sooner I get back the better. Heard on team meetings that none of the various unions involved can agree the route back for trainees. Obviously the safety of everyone involved is paramount and the unions protection of their members reflects this.
I’m just as clued up as you I’m afraid. You may have seen Kevin L from aslef update. It’s down to testing. How the people in the bubble will be tested. They have an idea but they need approval to test the test. It sounds like the final hurdle.
However, the railway is slow with everything! It may take a while. It’s still a guess.

Driver1122

From what I’m hearing from aslef and others. I expect trainees to be back in the next 4/6 weeks imo.

They have interviews for new drivers on next week.