• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Bishop

Edinburgh apprenticeship and yes
Apprenticeship Trainee Driver role with Scotrail? wasn’t aware it was now an apprenticeship.

Don’t think you will get far with that distance between home and depot. System normally automatically picks that up during sift and rejects it.

Sand Dancer

Sorry by apprenticeship I mean trainee driver!

Is it maybe LNER? They advertised for apprenticeship driver roles last year.
No it was Scotrail. They've already confirmed receipt of my application

Apprenticeship Trainee Driver role with Scotrail? wasn’t aware it was now an apprenticeship.

Don’t think you will get far with that distance between home and depot. System normally automatically picks that up during sift and rejects it.
They have a depot at Edinburgh Waverley? Or is that no longer correct?

John Bishop

Sorry by apprenticeship I mean trainee driver!

No it was Scotrail. They've already confirmed receipt of my application

They have a depot at Edinburgh Waverley? Or is that no longer correct?
Yes there is a depot there, but its still not within 45 mins from South Shields.

Mouse1903

4 weeks since passing my Stage 1 assessment, still waiting for DMI...which is good as more time to practice as I have some annual leave :)

Batz47082

I applied in December and received an invite to an interview in Inverness via email.

Now off to page 1 of this thread to look through all the advice contained herein.

Last edited:

Batz47082

Did you not receive an email to attend the first set of tests first? Or straight to an interview?
As I understand it, this is an initial interview before they decide whether or not to send me to the testing stage. I havent had a telephone interview or conversation etc. so was thinking it was instead of that?

If I get through this first interview, I assume that the next stage will be testing.

The email states:

Thank you for your application for the role of TRAINEE TRAIN DRIVERS - SCOTLAND.

As discussed over the phone we'd like to find out more about you, therefore we'd like to invite you to interview.

We would be grateful if you would attend on:

Last edited:

Del 2804

When I applied the first stage was testing in Glasgow group bourden etc, then the DMI interview, yours is a bit different, good luck whatever way it goes

Batz47082

When I applied the first stage was testing in Glasgow group bourden etc, then the DMI interview, yours is a bit different, good luck whatever way it goes
Hopefully, all will be well! I will just have to research as much as possible....

Thanks, how did you get on?

Last edited:

WilliamRennie

I applied in December and received an invite to an interview in Inverness via email.

Now off to page 1 of this thread to look through all the advice contained herein.
Hi Batz,

Firstly, congratulations on getting a response via email from ScotRail. I hope the interview went well for you. Can I ask when you got that email from them after you applied in December? Was it just recently that you heard back from them? I also applied in December and contacted them yesterday to see if I could get an update. I was told that the recruitment team are still sifting through applications. I have my fingers crossed but think I may have missed out on this one due to the time which has now passed.

Thanks Bill

Ads748

Hi all, i heard back from Scotrail HR today to say that my application has met the criteria to move within the recruitment process but it could be months before i hear anything about next stage depending on locations and breakdown of numbers within the plan they are required to work too.

MT18

Hi all, i heard back from Scotrail HR today to say that my application has met the criteria to move within the recruitment process but it could be months before i hear anything about next stage depending on locations and breakdown of numbers within the plan they are required to work too.

Congrats thats positive news, did you email them or did they get in touch with yourself?

MS89

I just emailed them and asked politely if they were able to give me an update on my application.
That's great you were able to get a bit of positive news. Do you happen to have the HR email address? Or is it just the standard recruitment one you used to contact them?

Ads748

That's great you were able to get a bit of positive news. Do you happen to have the HR email address? Or is it just the standard recruitment one you used to contact them?
Hi, thank you. I just used the standard email address.

Batz47082

Hi Batz,

Firstly, congratulations on getting a response via email from ScotRail. I hope the interview went well for you. Can I ask when you got that email from them after you applied in December? Was it just recently that you heard back from them? I also applied in December and contacted them yesterday to see if I could get an update. I was told that the recruitment team are still sifting through applications. I have my fingers crossed but think I may have missed out on this one due to the time which has now passed.

Thanks Bill
Hi William,

The interview went okay, the usual interview nerves, not helped by going in directly after an internal candidate, has left me thinking its 50/50 to be honest.

Yes, it was very recently that I heard back, I got the email on 28/02/23.

Hang on in there, and I hope you recieve positive news soon.

Ads748

Hi William,

The interview went okay, the usual interview nerves, not helped by going in directly after an internal candidate, has left me thinking its 50/50 to be honest.

Yes, it was very recently that I heard back, I got the email on 28/02/23.

Hang on in there, and I hope you recieve positive news soon.
Hi Batz,

Congrats on getting to the interview stage, well done! Are you able to share how the interview was run and what sort of things they asked etc? Was it lengthly?

Do you know when you will find out your result and the next stages?

Good luck!

Firejim5

Hi,
First time poster, I've been watching and reading from the sidelines so far since I applied for the role of trainee train driver. I have so many questions!
Currently going through the recruitment process and have my first interview on the 21st march, very apprehensive about it. Any pointers/clues gratefully accepted!

From reading other people's experiences on here there seems to be quite a variance in the process itself. My application has progressed fairly quickly since my initial application at the end of 2023, other applicants are waiting for considerable periods between each stage.

What is the dress code for the interview? I am intending to wear a shirt and tie.

I'm reading and studying as much as I can about Scotrail but there is so much to learn, fingers crossed I can remember some useful information on the day.

Cheers,

Jim.

Batz47082

Hi Batz,

Congrats on getting to the interview stage, well done! Are you able to share how the interview was run and what sort of things they asked etc? Was it lengthly?

Do you know when you will find out your result and the next stages?

Good luck!
Hi Ads,

The interview was a two person panel, and was very formal.

The questions were mostly competence based e.g. "Give an example of when you were involved in an emergency?" and that kind of thing. Other than that, it was questions about myself, and my experience/suitability for the role. The interview lasted around 50 minutes.

Apparently, results can take up to a week, nerve wracking to say the least.

Hi,
First time poster, I've been watching and reading from the sidelines so far since I applied for the role of trainee train driver. I have so many questions!
Currently going through the recruitment process and have my first interview on the 21st march, very apprehensive about it. Any pointers/clues gratefully accepted!

From reading other people's experiences on here there seems to be quite a variance in the process itself. My application has progressed fairly quickly since my initial application at the end of 2023, other applicants are waiting for considerable periods between each stage.

What is the dress code for the interview? I am intending to wear a shirt and tie.

I'm reading and studying as much as I can about Scotrail but there is so much to learn, fingers crossed I can remember some useful information on the day.

Cheers,

Jim.
Jim,

I would definitely go with full business attire, as it states that on the ScotRail website.

Last edited:

Ads748

Hi Ads,

The interview was a two person panel, and was very formal.

The questions were mostly competence based e.g. "Give an example of when you were involved in an emergency?" and that kind of thing. Other than that, it was questions about myself, and my experience/suitability for the role. The interview lasted around 50 minutes.

Apparently, results can take up to a week, nerve wracking to say the least.

Jim,

I would definitely go with full business attire as it states that on the ScotRail website.
Hi Batz,

Thanks for the reply and the information. Sounds like an intense interview but at least youve done it and hopefully you will get the next stage too.

What depot or area did you apply for? Did they say what the next stage will be?

Adam

Batz47082

Hi Batz,

Thanks for the reply and the information. Sounds like an intense interview but at least youve done it and hopefully you will get the next stage too.

What depot or area did you apply for? Did they say what the next stage will be?

Adam
It was quite intense, and I would only rate my chances as 50/50 to be honest, I felt that I could have done better, but it's out of my hands now.

I applied for the Wick drivers post, and hopefully it wont be too much longer until I find out, I'm climbing the walls!

The next stage will be 1st stage testing.

Mouse1903

Hi,

Cheers,

Jim.
Yeah you won't go wrong with shirt and tie. Read all through this thread and use the search function too and take notes, all very helpful stuff :)

It was quite intense, and I would only rate my chances as 50/50 to be honest, I felt that I could have done better, but it's out of my hands now.

I applied for the Wick drivers post, and hopefully it wont be too much longer until I find out, I'm climbing the walls!

The next stage will be 1st stage testing.
Wishing you best of luck in getting some good news. I have my DMI in Aberdeen a week on Monday. Email said it was competency based, but I will be preparing for all bases

Batz47082

Yeah you won't go wrong with shirt and tie. Read all through this thread and use the search function too and take notes, all very helpful stuff :)

Wishing you best of luck in getting some good news. I have my DMI in Aberdeen a week on Monday. Email said it was competency based, but I will be preparing for all bases
I hope all goes well for you Mouse, good luck!

Clearprop40

Hi,

Cheers,

Jim.
Hi Jim, I am the same as yourself with DMI on the 21st. I feel fortunate to be this far in such a short period of time. Hope it goes well for you mate.
Regards
KM

Firejim5

Thanks for the replies, it's been a long time since I went for a job interview, I'll attend the interview as I intended in shirt and tie.

It's a case of trying to prepare as best I can and hopefully I'll do well on the day.

Good luck to everyone who is going through the process.

Jim.