• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scalpay

I applied for the trainee positions with closing date December 2018. Should we also be applying for the new positions just posted?
Thank-you in advance..

Bigdriver

I applied for the trainee positions with closing date December 2018. Should we also be applying for the new positions just posted?
Thank-you in advance..

Did u make it past the sift? If not then you will have to re apply ! We already done our first assessment and put in holding pool we got emails saying we didn’t have to apply again as we are already on file

johnd371

Thank-you in advance..
I would and have kept on applying for every vacancy that arises. Unless you’ve been for assessments and are waiting on the next stage.

Scalpay

Did u make it past the sift? If not then you will have to re apply ! We already done our first assessment and put in holding pool we got emails saying we didn’t have to apply again as we are already on file
Hi, thanks for your reply.
Did anyone who applied in December hear back? I was under the impression that the latest round of tests and interviews were people who applied last summer but I may be wrong about that, maybe someone could confirm that?

Bigdriver

Hi, thanks for your reply.
Did anyone who applied in December hear back? I was under the impression that the latest round of tests and interviews were people who applied last summer but I may be wrong about that, maybe someone could confirm that?

I applied in December mate and went for testing in feb passed the test then had interview in March now in holding to go for 2 assessment soon

Hammyg

I applied in December, had an interview in march and was unsuccessful at that point, I haven't had any emails regarding the new recruitment drive that has just went live so should I re-apply this time?

Bigdriver

Not sure if that only counts if you fail a test or interview ! Need to ask hr I would think to clarify

Stigy

Established Member
Not sure if that only counts if you fail a test or interview ! Need to ask hr I would think to clarify
It’s usually 6-months for applying for the same job regardless of what the job is. You have to wait 6-months between failed assessments too, but that’s standard across the board (barring applicants for applying for any TOC for at least 6-months for driving jobs) and is different to this which is TOC specific. You can apply for other TOCs at your leisure.

Scuba2208

Anyone applied yet? I sent mine off this morning. After submitting, a page said I would receive a confirmation email within 10 minutes. Haven't received anything yet, hours later...

Bigdriver

Anyone applied yet? I sent mine off this morning. After submitting, a page said I would receive a confirmation email within 10 minutes. Haven't received anything yet, hours later...

Check your spam and other emails! Some peoples have went there over the years

Thank-you in advance..
I’m in same boat, applied in December heard nothing, my online profile still states application under consideration but I will still apply for latest advertised position. Can’t hurt to look keen, and hopefully 3rd time lucky for me!

K6vin

I’m in same boat, applied in December heard nothing, my online profile still states application under consideration but I will still apply for latest advertised position. Can’t hurt to look keen, and hopefully 3rd time lucky for me!
I’m also in the same boat, I emailed them a few days ago and got a reply today stating that if I hadn’t heard anything back I was unsuccessful and if still interested I had to apply again.

ZFS88

What sort of jobs do/did you do before becoming or applying to be a train driver? I know transferable skills are key when applying and safety is a big part of that.

MT18

Alright guys, I am currently an operative for NWR with a military background. I had applied for a trainee driver post to no avail, before I started with NWR. Thought I would apply again and hopefully make it past the sift stage this time. Does anybody know or is a train driver that has came from a NWR role and will it increase chances of selection?

Bigdriver

Alright guys, I am currently an operative for NWR with a military background. I had applied for a trainee driver post to no avail, before I started with NWR. Thought I would apply again and hopefully make it past the sift stage this time. Does anybody know or is a train driver that has came from a NWR role and will it increase chances of selection?

I work for a contractor mate machine op linesman I made past the soft last time and done and passed the test so answer is I have done it so no reason you can’t bud

Stigy

Established Member
I think any role from a safety critical background is definitely a bonus, however I’ve seen people get passed papersifts from completely unrelated backgrounds. The sift is only one small part, as it’s not until the Psychometric assessments where aptitude is measured, and someone from a retail background could have an equal aptitude for the role.