• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

MT18

I work for a contractor mate machine op linesman I made past the soft last time and done and passed the test so answer is I have done it so no reason you can’t bud

I think any role from a safety critical background is definitely a bonus, however I’ve seen people get passed papersifts from completely unrelated backgrounds. The sift is only one small part, as it’s not until the Psychometric assessments where aptitude is measured, and someone from a retail background could have an equal aptitude for the role.

Thanks for the reply’s, totally agree with the sift being only one small part of the process was just looking to find out if my current experience could stand in good stead for me this time around. Going into the further stages would be in my hands and how I perform in them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alright guys, I am currently an operative for NWR with a military background. I had applied for a trainee driver post to no avail, before I started with NWR. Thought I would apply again and hopefully make it past the sift stage this time. Does anybody know or is a train driver that has came from a NWR role and will it increase chances of selection?
Unlikely to increase your chances of selection; but you’ll maybe have more knowledge about the role and what is expected of you. All of the trainees I know at the moment are external applicants and have come from a non-railway background. Good luck

MarkR26

What sort of jobs do/did you do before becoming or applying to be a train driver? I know transferable skills are key when applying and safety is a big part of that.

I've worked in the NHS since I was sixteen and have been a radiographer for 9 years.
Wanted to be a train driver when I was younger but was always "encouraged" towards getting further education by my parents. Now with trainee driver jobs advertised i'm seriously thinking of applying.

Robbo-73

What sort of jobs do/did you do before becoming or applying to be a train driver? I know transferable skills are key when applying and safety is a big part of that.
I'm in the training and education industry, training and assessing Agricultural machinery operators. Lots of rules, procedures, form filling and safety involved, plus working with people. Hard to know what they're looking for exactly, quite a bit of luck involved at the first stage I think, given the number of applicants they receive, over 12'000 in the first few days I read yesterday!!

JUF

It was a tough day mate, my head was thumping at the end of it, but managed to get through and got a conditional offer, medical coming up next week.
Well done did they tell you on the same day?

Boxcar

When was your assessment? Anything over difficult? Or the mmi the tough part?
I found the 2 hand coordination and adavt the trickiest. Mmi is what it says on the stuff sent out. Pretty standard star questions, but still tough after a long few hours of tests before hand. You get to think of examples prior to going in that you write down, so that definitely helps.

Ndlx

It was a tough day mate, my head was thumping at the end of it, but managed to get through and got a conditional offer, medical coming up next week.

Well done boxcar! Can you remember what questions where asked in the MMI? Also do they give you a sheet of paper to write your examples down first then take you into a room to discuss them? Any tips or advice as I have mine next week. Thanks

Nathen

Anyone know If the 6 month application wait after rejection from previous interview is strict or are they lenient over it? And is it from date of closure for applications or start?

Thomaschoo

Brilliant news Boxcar, well done!

Were the Star questions just what you expected or were there any curveballs on the day?

Can imagine it was draining frim what youve said so far.

Boxcar

The star questions were pretty standard. If you have examples prepared that you can use, you should be able to make them fit the questions. You have plenty time to prepare anyway before hand. The recruitment staff did the interview. They were great on the day. Good luck to everyone with the mmi coming up.

Thomaschoo

The star questions were pretty standard. If you have examples prepared that you can use, you should be able to make them fit the questions. You have plenty time to prepare anyway before hand. The recruitment staff did the interview. They were great on the day. Good luck to everyone with the mmi coming up.

Thanks very much mate.

So a massive thank you to everyone on here who has posted hints and tips. Just found out subject to medical I'm in. If I can do it, anyone who takes thier time and reads everything they can there is no reason why you can't.

JUF

So a massive thank you to everyone on here who has posted hints and tips. Just found out subject to medical I'm in. If I can do it, anyone who takes thier time and reads everything they can there is no reason why you can't.

Well done I have my assessment and hopefully last interview this week, Any last minute hints and tips?

Well done - any indication on when they’ll start you, subject to medical of course?
Mentioned July Start.

Well done I have my assessment and hopefully last interview this week, Any last minute hints and tips?
Honestly read the forum is the beat advice. There was no real way to prepare for majority of the tests, such as the squares one. The picture one there is a few YouTube videos which let me know what to expect but I thought the tests ones where a lot faster. The joystick ones threw me but worked through at a steady pace.
The MMI seen variations of questions on here and they seemed to a similar vein.

Something I found to my cost, drinking a massive coffee before hand may not have been the smartest, as it felt 30secs into the concentration test (squares) I needed to go again...

Pcb1980

Could someone please clear something up for me.
After the wait to hear if you are successful the for the trainee driver, is there classroom training for 12 weeks?

Thanks

Ndlx

For anyone that’s done the MMI already. Has anyone answered all the questions relating all to their current job? Do they prefer a mix of work and non-work examples? Or does it not matter as long as the answers are relevant?

Boxcar

For anyone that’s done the MMI already. Has anyone answered all the questions relating all to their current job? Do they prefer a mix of work and non-work examples? Or does it not matter as long as the answers are relevant?
Doesn't matter. All my answers were from my current job

I did a mixture of current and previous jobs personal etc, but that was because was relevant to questions asked.

Ndlx

Had my MMI today and just found out that I passed it and my next stage is the medical. Can anyone confirm that the medical is the last stage and as I’ve passed my MMI I should be expecting a conditional officer in the coming days? For those who have passed how long did it take after finding out you passed to getting a date for you’re medical? Thanks