• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Ryandfs

As far as I know these telephone interviews are carried out by an independent company to prevent nepotism. This is possibly why it seems kind of generic. I am still awaiting word back. When did you apply Ryan? Hopefully you hear back soon. Not sure exactly what they are doing at the moment

Hi hardie. I applied on the 11th of December and had the phone interview on the 18th. I'm hoping to hear back soon too but don't think I had a chance to fully put my case forward. Have you had any word on a phone interview?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scottg17

Hi! first post on here but been floating about for a while

Applied on the 30th of December and got an email yesterday inviting me to a phone interview so I'm booked in for 9am on Tuesday the 13th :)

Take it its the standard format of phone interview?
Questions like....
Why do you want to work for us
Explain a situation on how you have acted safety etc.?

Any tips would be massively appreciated :)

jim8970

Hi! first post on here but been floating about for a while

Applied on the 30th of December and got an email yesterday inviting me to a phone interview so I'm booked in for 9am on Tuesday the 13th :)

Take it its the standard format of phone interview?
Questions like....
Why do you want to work for us
Explain a situation on how you have acted safety etc.?

Any tips would be massively appreciated :)

What depot is that for?

scottishchris

You're not alone, obibup. I applied around the same time to Perth and, I think, Glasgow and Airdrie, did the assessments and haven't heard back.

scottg17

Wow that was intense!
Called me 9am on the dot
Interviewer was very polite and took time to explain what first group was all about and explained what he would be asking me about today

Interview was split into 2 sections.

First was my motivation to apply for the role and associated questions to go with that

Second was real life scenario of great customer service and they will ask you questions about the scenario.

Took about 15 mins all in, its very fast paced. Key is to prepare hard for it

Never had a phone interview before and suffering a chest infection which I apologised for sounding like a frog on the phone. He was quite a light hearted chap, probably only about ages with myself (early mid 20's)

Fortunately I did manage to answer all the questions I was asked, think I sort of waffled for maybe 10-15 seconds all in while I was doing bit of fast thinking.

Id say I'm 50 50 weather I have passed or not - Advised me I will find out in 4 weeks via email :)

Hope this helps anyone with up coming phone interviews :)

pendy12

I'm a bit worried that everyone else here seems to have been offered a phone interview. I applied on the 17th and did the assessments but I still haven't heard anything back yet. Is anyone else still waiting to hear from them? I applied for Glasgow.

I'm in the same boat. I called first recruitment and they said that I had passed both online assessments and that I was in the queue for a phone interview. She also said there had been over 3000 applicants.

Donshy

I'm in the same boat. I called first recruitment and they said that I had passed both online assessments and that I was in the queue for a phone interview. She also said there had been over 3000 applicants.

Hi guys I'm on that same boat as yous aswell I was told also on the 16th dec to expect an email for telephone interview has never came through I then phoned scotrails hq to be told things are on hold for now but not to be disheartened as there was hundreds of applicants and they can't put everyone through due to money also told if over next couple of weeks if don't get numbers then could possibly get a shout best of luck guys if any joy let us know cheers

gmcc

Wow that was intense!
Called me 9am on the dot
Interviewer was very polite and took time to explain what first group was all about and explained what he would be asking me about today

First was my motivation to apply for the role and associated questions to go with that

Second was real life scenario of great customer service and they will ask you questions about the scenario.

Never had a phone interview before and suffering a chest infection which I apologised for sounding like a frog on the phone. He was quite a light hearted chap, probably only about ages with myself (early mid 20's)

Fortunately I did manage to answer all the questions I was asked, think I sort of waffled for maybe 10-15 seconds all in while I was doing bit of fast thinking.

Id say I'm 50 50 weather I have passed or not - Advised me I will find out in 4 weeks via email :)

Hi all, i'm currently going through the process also. Thanks for passing on the info regarding the telephone interview scottg17. Can you remember how many questions were in each section?

Ryandfs

I had my telephone interview nearly 4 weeks ago now, not heard anything since. Do you have the phone number at all?

Maybe

A pal of mine applied on the 17th dec, took both online assessments but has not heard anything since. I believe he applied for Glasgow and Aberdeen...

Anyway he contacted first yesterday and they told him that a lot of the depots havent moved onto the next stage. Has been advised if he has still not heard anything by Feb then to contact them again.

Daz9284

I called the company doing the recruitment and they said my application had been put 'on hold' by First

I contacted First, and the lady who I need to speak to was not in the office, but I would be contacted in due course as to the reason why.

Dan86

Wow that was intense!
Called me 9am on the dot

Pretty much identical to me. And like yourself im in the 50/50 boat. Had mine Tuesday 14.00pm.

From the start to finish it lasted exactly 22 minutes, although first few minutes
the women was explaining what was expected from me. Really hope I pass but looks like ill be waiting along time going off some of the most recent comments.

Ryandfs

I called first recruitment today and the guy said it looks like I have been successful at the telephone interview stage. He also said that things have been put on hold at the minute but said if I don't hear anything in the next week or so, to call back. At least it's something I can hold on to now!

Donshy

I called first recruitment today and the guy said it looks like I have been successful at the telephone interview stage. He also said that things have been put on hold at the minute but said if I don't hear anything in the next week or so, to call back. At least it's something I can hold on to now!

I'm same ryandfs things are on hold for now as was I told to ive to phone back next week aswell I was also told things will pick up once change over takes place with new franchise taken over hope you get shout let us know how you get on mate cheers if hear anything

gshmfc1986

Hi, Ive also passed phone interview but for gateline. would you know if its the whole scotrail recruitment process that's on hold or just drivers? plus would anyone know how the franchise takeover would affect those of us on hold?

Cheers

Graeme

Donshy

Hi, Ive also passed phone interview but for gateline. would you know if its the whole scotrail recruitment process that's on hold or just drivers? plus would anyone know how the franchise takeover would affect those of us on hold?

Cheers

Graeme

Hi Graeme it's frustrating mate eh I've spoke to a good few people and there also in same boat as us everything's slow due to takeover coming up that's what most of us have been told et us know if you hear anything cheers and best of luck

scottg17

Anyone able to PM me the recruitment phone number, just incase I dont hear back and need to chase things up :)

gshmfc1986

Hi Graeme it's frustrating mate eh I've spoke to a good few people and there also in same boat as us everything's slow due to takeover coming up that's what most of us have been told et us know if you hear anything cheers and best of luck

Yeah I just had my phone interview on the 6th and was told I was successful the day after but I don't know if fsr are planning to start people before the takeover or if we will still be in the process after the takeover I don't know how that would work out. cheers best of luck to you too.

Donshy

Yeah I just had my phone interview on the 6th and was told I was successful the day after but I don't know if fsr are planning to start people before the takeover or if we will still be in the process after the takeover I don't know how that would work out. cheers best of luck to you too.

Will do mate cheers

HawkeyeTheNoo

I'm waiting for the next training course for onboard ticket examiner. I first applied last April and after the final interview in November got a conditional offer subject to background checks (disclosure etc) and medical. Passed all of these by early December and am still waiting for a date! HR tell me they are waiting for a confirmation of dates but I'm getting frustrated particularly as my last job ended in mid December and therefore am out of work with no benefits! Getting very worried it'll carry on til April and then be told, First offered you a job not us (Abellio) sorry! Don't know what to think!

Last edited:

gshmfc1986

I'm waiting for the next training course for onboard ticket examiner. I first applied last April and after the final interview in November got a conditional offer subject to background checks (disclosure etc) and medical. Passed all of these by early December and am still waiting for a date! HR tell me they are waiting for a confirmation of dates but I'm getting frustrated particularly as my last job ended in mid December and therefore am out of work with no benefits! Getting very worried it'll carry on til April and then be told, First offered you a job not us (Abellio) sorry! Don't know what to think!

yeah im currently still in my job but my contracts up in april and not guaranteed to be renewed so would love to get this job and get started round then or before but the situation you are in is pretty worrying. did you hand in notice to your old job or was it temporary contract?

HawkeyeTheNoo

The company I worked for went bust, I didn't even get paid for the two weeks I worked in December! :( I was self employed doing work for a friend after being made redundant in March 2013 after 28 years continuous employment and couldn't seem to get a job. I'm 48 so think my age has been against me. Scotrail was the only one to give me a chance of even an interview in 638 job applications!

Last edited:

Argyll68

Hi guys,

New poster here.

Like others I've read here I'm still waiting to hear from HR and I applied on 11th December! I applied for Bathgate, Airdrie and Perth. Does anyone have HR's number so i can call them tomorrow?

Argyll68

Scott are you talking to me?

If so then yes. I done the two online assessments. I keep checking the 'My Application' part on their website but nothing. Maybe Bathgate is one of the stations mentioned about being behind.

Did you get the phone number Scott? If so could you pm me it please?

MrT

Had my telephone interview last week, told I have to wait up to 6 weeks for a reply. Good luck all.

scottg17

Scott are you talking to me?

If so then yes. I done the two online assessments. I keep checking the 'My Application' part on their website but nothing. Maybe Bathgate is one of the stations mentioned about being behind.

Did you get the phone number Scott? If so could you pm me it please?

Not got the number yet i'm afraid :'(