• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Citylink

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Finally what exactly is the issue that has led to Stagecoach’s chunk of the 900 move to Kilmarnock? I’ve heard maintenance related issues but it just feels a bit vague.
This has been discussed in the Stagecoach West Scotland thread already. One reply has been moved to that thread.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Random questions and apologies if they’ve been asked before but have tried to look throughout and couldn’t find anything.

Does anyone know the best place to find which 900’s are run by Parks and which 900’s are run by Stagecoach? I know with the Stagecoach 900 ops moving to Kilmarnock it’s meant there’s a whole bunch of unusual stuff on it these days. I haven’t done the 900 since the Elites and Panther2’s were on it so I’m keen to get a proper 900 spec Panorama if I can.

Also see with the AIR is it basically just a branded route? Ie no different when it’s outside of Edinburgh Airport to the 900, but has the relevant increased fare for within the Airport. It shouldn’t matter to myself anyway as I have the NEC card, but just a thing I wanted to know for reference.

Finally what exactly is the issue that has led to Stagecoach’s chunk of the 900 move to Kilmarnock? I’ve heard maintenance related issues but it just feels a bit vague.

Cheers :)
The only difference between Park's and Stagecoach 900s were that Park's have private number plates on their coaches. I'm not sure about now as it's been a while since I've been on the 900.

The only difference between Park's and Stagecoach 900s were that Park's have private number plates on their coaches. I'm not sure about now as it's been a while since I've been on the 900.
Parks 900s also have Xenon dipped beam headlights fitted, a cost option that Stagecoaches 900s don’t have.

Anyone know what vehicle types have been operating the M92 Edinburgh Aberdeen recently?
I need to travel on Thursday but if there's any chance of one of those Gold/ex Sleeper coaches turning up I'll just take the train.

Anyone know what vehicle types have been operating the M92 Edinburgh Aberdeen recently?
I need to travel on Thursday but if there's any chance of one of those Gold/ex Sleeper coaches turning up I'll just take the train.

I believe this is what the former Dumfries Interdecks are operating now.

From what I've seen it's the old Dumfries Interdecks, normally the last 909 from Edinburgh Bus Station to Cumbernauld is an Interdeck and it comes off an M92.

route101

Established Member
I personally rather have one of the X sleeper vehicles then interdeck any day but the the person who asked this question obviously has a serious hang up with these.
Are the ex sleeper double decks still on the go? I wasn't a great fan of the the bay seating arrangement on them.

Keep an eye out for Park's of Hamilton's Caetano Levante BV67JYZ. It has received Citylink livery and will be out as soon as its wheelchair lift has been replaced.
It's due to work three round trips from Glasgow to Dundee per day, replacing white BV67JYW that has been on that diagram recently.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Just out of curiosity, would the same apply on a B12 Panther or is it only the Interdeck?
The Panthers are a walk in the park compared to the Interdecks.

It’s the low head height on the Interdecks that make it feel massively cramped and claustrophobic.

Scotrail314209

Established Member

It’s the low head height on the Interdecks that make it feel massively cramped and claustrophobic.
I’m not a fan of the Interdecks at all. Far to cramped for a lengthy journey. I feel like a battery hen when it’s full.

The only saving grace about them is that they’ve got USB chargers.
The Panoramas do have the same issue, particularly on the upper deck when full. The low height really does make you feel cramped in.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
If there was such a thing as a Panther that wasn't totally knackered after years of service, then a heavy refurbishment would make them a far better bet on the M90 too. I still can't understand, other than the low seating capacity, why they wanted rid of the ex Gold sleepers as they were actually very suitable for the run from a mechanical and passenger comfort point of view.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there was such a thing as a Panther that wasn't totally knackered after years of service, then a heavy refurbishment would make them a far better bet on the M90 too. I still can't understand, other than the low seating capacity, why they wanted rid of the ex Gold sleepers as they were actually very suitable for the run from a mechanical and passenger comfort point of view.
A mechanical point of view? Are you being serious? They constantly broke down!

Scotrail314209

Established Member
The ex sleeper Astromegas were generally knackered too after being used on very intense work. Internally, they were fine with the exception of plug sockets. I got full sleep on a journey back from Inverness, and I never sleep on coaches.

But as others have said, mechanically they were done.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
It probably wasn't cost effective running the Ex-Gold Astromegas either. They're TDX29 variants of the Astromega which are an extra metre longer than your "standard" TDX27 Astromega like those used elsewhere on Citylink/Megabus, yet despite the length only seat the same as a short Panther or Elite, I cannot see how the running costs of such large vehicles can be justified with such poor capacity, add to that the fact around half the seats are rear facing it just makes them even more unpopular.

As much as i think the Interdecks are completely unsuited to the type of work Stagecoach use them on i can't really say i've noticed that issue.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
A query on the side of the existing conversation, if I may. The 919 Inverness to Fort William - it’s showing online as £11.60 single, is prior booking essential? What’s the service like, busy, quality, etc? Does it cost more to pay when boarding?

A query on the side of the existing conversation, if I may. The 919 Inverness to Fort William - it’s showing online as £11.60 single, is prior booking essential? What’s the service like, busy, quality, etc? Does it cost more to pay when boarding?
You are always better prior booking as it guarantees you a seat. You can pay on the bus but if its fully booked you will be left behind.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
No difference in fare are if bought online or paid on the coach, but as others have said book a head especially if you're going to use it during mid or peak season or on one of the wintertime journeys that loads better. If starting in Inverness and not wanting the hassle of using the website then there is a booking Office within the bus station in Inverness or at least there was the last time I was there pre-pandemic, I've not actually had need of the terminal building facilities in Inverness since

route101

Established Member
Seen a Panorama on M92 on Saturday. Would much prefer a panorama over an Interdeck.

You are always better prior booking as it guarantees you a seat. You can pay on the bus but if its fully booked you will be left behind.
Yes, coaches sell out as I have found out. Sometimes with weather and work I would try and go a short notice day trip.

I’m not a fan of the Interdecks at all. Far to cramped for a lengthy journey. I feel like a battery hen when it’s full.

The only saving grace about them is that they’ve got USB chargers.
I was on a recent Megabus Interdeck and I believe they have rejigged the seats on them, to offer more legroom.

Seen a Panorama on M92 on Saturday. Would much prefer a panorama over an Interdeck.
As far as I can see as a very occasional passenger (without looking into the technicals) the Interdecks seem to be exactly the same as the Panoramas, just without the downstairs seating.

route101

Established Member
As far as I can see as a very occasional passenger (without looking into the technicals) the Interdecks seem to be exactly the same as the Panoramas, just without the downstairs seating.
Seating is better on the panoramas, not the sticky stagecoach leather.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Panoramas are slightly taller than the Interdecks as well.

Only the main body itself, in terms of overall height the Interdecks are just slightly taller this is due to them having the air conditioning on the roof whereas the Panoramas have it at the rear.

route101

Established Member
I remember forgetting I was on an interdeck and going downstairs thinking the toilet was there.

Citylink are now advertising that their summer timetables have been released:
https://www.facebook.com/citylink.co.uk/

This sees the return of the 913 Edinburgh to Fort William via Perth, Crianlarich, Glencoe. Do we know which vehicles will operate this service?
I think last year it was mainly tri-axle B11, was it Panthers? Or Elites? I'm not sure how many of those are still left in the fleet though.

Separately, I took a picture of this timetable in a bus stop in Edinburgh a while ago (not sure if it's still there) (see attached file). (Image shows a timetable for Scottish Citylink service 904: Edinburgh to East Kilbride via M8, Harthill, Chapelhall, Holytown, Motherwell, Hamilton, East Kilbride.)

Was this a summer-only service? When did it stop running?
Does anyone know if it is going to make a return? There is currently no easy way to get from the Edinburgh area to South Lanarkshire by public transport, so it would be a useful service!

Attachments

• 1651757991748.jpeg
    1651757991748.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 40

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Citylink are now advertising that their summer timetables have been released:
https://www.facebook.com/citylink.co.uk/

This sees the return of the 913 Edinburgh to Fort William via Perth, Crianlarich, Glencoe. Do we know which vehicles will operate this service?
I think last year it was mainly tri-axle B11, was it Panthers? Or Elites? I'm not sure how many of those are still left in the fleet though.

Separately, I took a picture of this timetable in a bus stop in Edinburgh a while ago (not sure if it's still there) (see attached file). (Image shows a timetable for Scottish Citylink service 904: Edinburgh to East Kilbride via M8, Harthill, Chapelhall, Holytown, Motherwell, Hamilton, East Kilbride.)

Was this a summer-only service? When did it stop running?
Does anyone know if it is going to make a return? There is currently no easy way to get from the Edinburgh area to South Lanarkshire by public transport, so it would be a useful service!
The 913 was last operated by Stagecoach East Scotland using a Volvo B13Rt Plaxton Panther 2.

If i'm not mistaken the 904 was essentially just a placing journey for a Parks vehicle.