• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Citylink

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Unstoppable

On Moderation
Hi, Does anybody know what has been operating the 1225 M92 service from Edinburgh To Aberdeen recently?
It will be an Astromega. It is a Gold allocation but 50252 has shown an appearance recently due to a couple of Golds being off for repairs.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I wonder if there has been any cases of Edinburgh passengers accidentally ending up on the 909 from Glasgow, which takes a LONG detour via Stirling and Bo'Ness.

The destination says Edinburgh via Stirling on it, so confusion would be easy.

Why isn't the 909 just run as a split service instead?

Unstoppable

On Moderation
I wonder if there has been any cases of Edinburgh passengers accidentally ending up on the 909 from Glasgow, which takes a LONG detour via Stirling and Bo'Ness.

The destination says Edinburgh via Stirling on it, so confusion would be easy.

Why isn't the 909 just run as a split service instead?
Most drivers in Glasgow will show Stirling until they leave the bus station to save the confusion. Most people from Glasgow travel to Stirling and then from Stirling the main destinations are Grangemouth, Bo'ness, Edinburgh Airport and Edinburgh City Centre. Going in the other direction you can get a lot of people asking for Glasgow until you tell them it takes 2 years to get there. Around 3 years ago there used to be short M8 services which ran Glasgow to Stirling which then turned into a 909 at Stirling travelling to Edinburgh but for some reason back at the start of the service enhancement around 2 years ago they created the 909 from Glasgow running straight through to Edinburgh. During this time the 00:15 Edinburgh North St David Street - Cumbernauld which also ran via Falkirk and Raploch was withdrawn

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I've noticed that Scottish Citylink is starting a new service from September 27th, service 618 from Edinburgh to Blackpool via Glasgow.

Isn't it a bit late in the season to start a service to Blackpool, or are they catering for the illuminations and October break?

Also, since it originates in Edinburgh does anyone know what will operate it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I should think they'll do well out of that Blackpool service. I guess the vehicle allocation will depend on who has won the tender for that work. I'm a bit out of the loop if I'm honest although Lothian motorcoaches is a possibility

Edinburgh coach lines

ASDA passengers from Edinburgh to Glasgow ending up, accidentally or otherwise on the 909, the other week I was going through to Glasgow and and about 2 or 3900x had rolled in to the maybury stop already full and when the 909 came along with many empty seats I bought it as I was not in a great hurry and actually quite enjoyed the run. Pair of seats to myself all the way, both USB points powering away happily and a friendly driver

cnjb8

Established Member
I should think they'll do well out of that Blackpool service. I guess the vehicle allocation will depend on who has won the tender for that work. I'm a bit out of the loop if I'm honest although Lothian motorcoaches is a possibility

Edinburgh coach lines

ASDA passengers from Edinburgh to Glasgow ending up, accidentally or otherwise on the 909, the other week I was going through to Glasgow and and about 2 or 3900x had rolled in to the maybury stop already full and when the 909 came along with many empty seats I bought it as I was not in a great hurry and actually quite enjoyed the run. Pair of seats to myself all the way, both USB points powering away happily and a friendly driver
Would they use Lothian if they had been stripped of their Citylink work in the first place?

The reason Lothian lost the 913 contract was due to reliability of the Caetano Levante they used on it. If a 1 a day service breaks down its bad enough never mind breaking down nearly every day.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Thread reopened for further discussion.
Scottish Citylink appear to have launched their new website: https://www.citylink.co.uk/

It's much more nicer looking and less dated than the old one. There is also a handy coachtracker available, which is much better than the example Megabus use.

Having looked in the 'Travelling with Citylink' section, they appear to have removed all mention of Gold services and the refreshments. Perhaps a sign they won't be returning?

1648668720299.png
Picture shows the new Scottish Citylink website's homepage.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Scottish Citylink appear to have launched their new website: https://www.citylink.co.uk/

It's much more nicer looking and less dated than the old one. There is also a handy coachtracker available, which is much better than the example Megabus use.

Having looked in the 'Travelling with Citylink' section, they appear to have removed all mention of Gold services and the refreshments. Perhaps a sign they won't be returning?

View attachment 112288
Picture shows the new Scottish Citylink website's homepage.
Fairly clumsy and cluttered IMO, although anything is better than the previous version!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Definitely an improvement, though loading is a bit sluggish on certain pages. The addition of a coach tracker is very welcome though.

It certainly looks more 2012 than 2002 now at least ;)

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Fairly clumsy and cluttered IMO, although anything is better than the previous version!
Definitely an improvement, though loading is a bit sluggish on certain pages. The addition of a coach tracker is very welcome though.

It certainly looks more 2012 than 2002 now at least ;)
I agree on both of these, it was a little bit sluggish when loading pages.

I have a feeling this site may use the same coding as the Megabus site, just a little different.

PG

Established Member
Agree, though as @hexagon789 days at least it looks like it belongs in this century!

I note the website Terms and Conditions have a few blank headings :
  • COPYRIGHT
  • TRADEMARKS AND TRADE NAMES
  • WARRANTIES
  • CONTRACT FORMATION
Maybe they haven't thought of anything to include :rolleyes:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I agree on both of these, it was a little bit sluggish when loading pages.

I have a feeling this site may use the same coding as the Megabus site, just a little different.
The coach tracker seems to be the same as that used by NatEx, some coaches were incorrectly displaying tracking for NatEx and MegaBus services!

Agree, though as @hexagon789 days at least it looks like it belongs in this century!

I note the website Terms and Conditions have a few blank headings :
  • COPYRIGHT
  • TRADEMARKS AND TRADE NAMES
  • WARRANTIES
  • CONTRACT FORMATION
Maybe they haven't thought of anything to include :rolleyes:
I noticed a few ticket links didn't work properly - most of the discount fares options such as for NEC U-22 and over 60 free passes.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
The coach tracker seems to be the same as that used by NatEx, some coaches were incorrectly displaying tracking for NatEx and MegaBus services!

I noticed a few ticket links didn't work properly - most of the discount fares options such as for NEC U-22 and over 60 free passes.
It's a better bus tracker than the Megabus one which doesn't even show the location.

I tried booking using my NEC and it came up with a £1 fee, presumably the booking fee?

PG

Established Member
Also of note is the Contact Us page which includes this :
Media Enquiries ONLY
Stagecoach Group Communications
01738 442111
[email protected]
Surely could give a not fully clued up journalist the impression that Scottish Citylink is merely a brand name used by Stagecoach within Scotland?

Less than ideal at the best of times never mind now with the uncertainty surrounding future ownership of the business.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It's a better bus tracker than the Megabus one which doesn't even show the location.

I tried booking using my NEC and it came up with a £1 fee, presumably the booking fee?
I though it was a "counted place" seat reservation fee. That is it guarantees you a seat over someone who turns up on the day without a prepurchased ticket if the coach is full.

Certainly someone my family knew who used her pass to get the Gold Coach from Glasgow to Aberdeen a few times a year said how great the service and coaches were and it was fantastic that it only cost her a £1 each way for a seat reservation.

Unless it's a £1 online booking fee and seat reservations are a further £1 if still offered?

Perhaps a frequent user can offer clarity, anyone?

cambsy

On Moderation
Just looked at new website, and it looks more modern, but not so easy to look at timetables, which not great, and if there, going to be no Citylink Gold, services returning, seems a waste putting kitchen/servery on some of the Plaxton Panorama’s, i will hope to, at some point, to get backup to Scotland, to do the Explorer pass.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Just looked at new website, and it looks more modern, but not so easy to look at timetables, which not great, and if there, going to be no Citylink Gold, services returning, seems a waste putting kitchen/servery on some of the Plaxton Panorama’s, i will hope to, at some point, to get backup to Scotland, to do the Explorer pass.
I wonder if the coaches came with the kitchen as the intention was to continue with the refreshments. But COVID clearly stopped that and it may have been too late to change the spec to not include the kitchen

The coaches for the Gold were ordered before Covid came. The fact the Gold isn't there doesn't mean it is finished. They aren't going to advertise a service that isn't running.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
While the new website does certainly look better at least on the home page, i'm not really sure if it's an improvement in terms of usability, as noted already it's very cluttered.

route101

Established Member
I though it was a "counted place" seat reservation fee. That is it guarantees you a seat over someone who turns up on the day without a prepurchased ticket if the coach is full.

Certainly someone my family knew who used her pass to get the Gold Coach from Glasgow to Aberdeen a few times a year said how great the service and coaches were and it was fantastic that it only cost her a £1 each way for a seat reservation.

Unless it's a £1 online booking fee and seat reservations are a further £1 if still offered?

Perhaps a frequent user can offer clarity, anyone?
That's a downside to the coach, they can sell out compared to the train. All I remember getting on Gold was a shortbread and a lukewarm bottle of barrs fizzy pop.

That's a downside to the coach, they can sell out compared to the train. All I remember getting on Gold was a shortbread and a lukewarm bottle of barrs fizzy pop.
I wouldnt say that was a downside to the coach. A guaranteed seat is always a good thing. On the train you could be standing for a good bit of your journey depending on what has been allocated to that working.

cambsy

On Moderation
The refreshments on the Citylink Gold were not much too shout about, but as they have a servery/kitchen on some of the Panoramas, then a Host/Hostess selling reasonably priced snacks and coffee, like the National Express Rapide of olden days, would be a good use of the equipment. I think it would work, as Berry’s of Taunton have a Host/Hostess on board. I get a sandwich and coffee etc from them when i use their service, and they seem to sell a decent amount of snacks etc on board.

Last edited by a moderator:

keppoch69

On Moderation
What a horrid website! At least it is on my Lenovo tablet.
I was having a nosey to go up to Fort William from Glasgow early next week on the 1st coach of the day and down about lunchtime & I couldn't get it to display any times. Lol
I know the old website was outdated, yet if you were used to it, it was like an old friend who you knew how to handle.
This new website feels like a heap of rubbish. Too much garish yellow also.
Ax.

InOban

Established Member
I had no difficulty finding the times, as long as you remember that these coaches are usually going to Skye.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Random questions and apologies if they’ve been asked before but have tried to look throughout and couldn’t find anything.

Does anyone know the best place to find which 900’s are run by Parks and which 900’s are run by Stagecoach? I know with the Stagecoach 900 ops moving to Kilmarnock it’s meant there’s a whole bunch of unusual stuff on it these days. I haven’t done the 900 since the Elites and Panther2’s were on it so I’m keen to get a proper 900 spec Panorama if I can.

Also see with the AIR is it basically just a branded route? Ie no different when it’s outside of Edinburgh Airport to the 900, but has the relevant increased fare for within the Airport. It shouldn’t matter to myself anyway as I have the NEC card, but just a thing I wanted to know for reference.

Finally what exactly is the issue that has led to Stagecoach’s chunk of the 900 move to Kilmarnock? I’ve heard maintenance related issues but it just feels a bit vague.

Cheers :)

InOban

Established Member
Not sure if it's relevant but the AIR service is run by West Coast Motors.