• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Citylink

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Citylink are now advertising that their summer timetables have been released:
https://www.facebook.com/citylink.co.uk/

This sees the return of the 913 Edinburgh to Fort William via Perth, Crianlarich, Glencoe. Do we know which vehicles will operate this service?
I think last year it was mainly tri-axle B11, was it Panthers? Or Elites? I'm not sure how many of those are still left in the fleet though.

Separately, I took a picture of this timetable in a bus stop in Edinburgh a while ago (not sure if it's still there) (see attached file). (Image shows a timetable for Scottish Citylink service 904: Edinburgh to East Kilbride via M8, Harthill, Chapelhall, Holytown, Motherwell, Hamilton, East Kilbride.)

Was this a summer-only service? When did it stop running?
Does anyone know if it is going to make a return? There is currently no easy way to get from the Edinburgh area to South Lanarkshire by public transport, so it would be a useful service!
The 904 was culled in July 2019 when SPT removed the subsidy, so as it wasn't a COVID-related cut I doubt it will be returning.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The 913 was last operated by Stagecoach East Scotland using a Volvo B13Rt Plaxton Panther 2.
Ah okay.

It looks like East Scotland only have two Panther 2's in Citylink livery, and a bunch of Astromega's, so I'd guess it would be mostly the Panther 2's again this year.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Ah okay.

It looks like East Scotland only have two Panther 2's in Citylink livery, and a bunch of Astromega's, so I'd guess it would be mostly the Panther 2's again this year.
It'd be good if they used an Astromega. The front deck would definitely give off some really nice views.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Ah okay.

That's going on the basis East Scotland are operating it, i don't believe an operator has been confirmed?

Neither of the two primary vehicles which operated it last year are at East Scotland anymore as 54101 has moved to West Scotland while 54129 is at Bluebird.

route101

Established Member
Citylink are now advertising that their summer timetables have been released:
https://www.facebook.com/citylink.co.uk/

This sees the return of the 913 Edinburgh to Fort William via Perth, Crianlarich, Glencoe. Do we know which vehicles will operate this service?
I think last year it was mainly tri-axle B11, was it Panthers? Or Elites? I'm not sure how many of those are still left in the fleet though.

Separately, I took a picture of this timetable in a bus stop in Edinburgh a while ago (not sure if it's still there) (see attached file). (Image shows a timetable for Scottish Citylink service 904: Edinburgh to East Kilbride via M8, Harthill, Chapelhall, Holytown, Motherwell, Hamilton, East Kilbride.)

Was this a summer-only service? When did it stop running?
Does anyone know if it is going to make a return? There is currently no easy way to get from the Edinburgh area to South Lanarkshire by public transport, so it would be a useful service!
I used to use the 904 a few times, Edinburgh to East Kilbride direction. It was essentially a commuter coach for people working in Edinburgh. This was the final remnant of a Edinburgh to Glasgow Airport service that ran via Busby. The service was year round only operated Monday to Friday. Was operated by all sorts. Macleans coaches in the latter days.

It'd be good if they used an Astromega. The front deck would definitely give off some really nice views.
I wonder if they are suitable for the windy highland roads.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I used to use the 904 a few times, Edinburgh to East Kilbride direction. It was essentially a commuter coach for people working in Edinburgh. This was the final remnant of a Edinburgh to Glasgow Airport service that ran via Busby. The service was year round only operated Monday to Friday. Was operated by all sorts. Macleans coaches in the latter days.

I wonder if they are suitable for the windy highland roads.
They are.

West Coast Motors used theirs on the 926 Campbeltown to Glasgow prior to COVID at Christmas Time.

InOban

Established Member
1. I notice that most of the Oban services are reverting to the Inveraray route - they've been going via Tyndrum through the winter. Perhaps they've realised three axle coaches aren't feasible between Arrochar and Ardlui in the summer - all the FW coaches are 2-axle.
2. I notice that the Edinburgh to FW coach is routed via Perth and Crieff. with connections at Broxden from Dundee and Aberdeen. Did it go this way pre-covid?

route101

Established Member
1. I notice that most of the Oban services are reverting to the Inveraray route - they've been going via Tyndrum through the winter. Perhaps they've realised three axle coaches aren't feasible between Arrochar and Ardlui in the summer - all the FW coaches are 2-axle.
2. I notice that the Edinburgh to FW coach is routed via Perth and Crieff. with connections at Broxden from Dundee and Aberdeen. Did it go this way pre-covid?
I recall the Edinburgh to Fort William coach going via the A84 and Callander in the past. There used to be a service that from Dundee .

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Yes
I recall the Edinburgh to Fort William coach going via the A84 and Callander in the past. There used to be a service that from Dundee .
If i'm not mistaken that was the Service 973?

InOban

Established Member
I remember now that there was a Dundee to Oban service which connected at Tyndrum for FW.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
A query on the side of the existing conversation, if I may. The 919 Inverness to Fort William - it’s showing online as £11.60 single, is prior booking essential? What’s the service like, busy, quality, etc? Does it cost more to pay when boarding?
You are always better prior booking as it guarantees you a seat…
No difference in fare are if bought online or paid on the coach, but as others have said book a head especially if you're going to use it during mid or peak season or on one of the wintertime journeys that loads better…
Thanks to the members who replied to my last query. My plans were never fixed so I took a risk and decided against paying in advance. I travelled on the 919 at 9am on a weekday which was fairly well used but never full.

I’m glad I didn’t pay in advance, it was cheaper on the coach! A day return was £11, vs the quoted single both online and on the coach.

Very comfortable journey, impressed as to how well CityLink/Stagecoach are able to hit the right balance and combine intercity travel with local journeys on this route. There was most certainly a coach full awaiting the Glasgow (possibly Edinburgh, I can’t remember) departure from Fort William on my arrival.

InOban

Established Member
Is it Stagecoach or Shiel Buses which operate this service for Citylink?

route101

Established Member
Thanks to the members who replied to my last query. My plans were never fixed so I took a risk and decided against paying in advance. I travelled on the 919 at 9am on a weekday which was fairly well used but never full.

I’m glad I didn’t pay in advance, it was cheaper on the coach! A day return was £11, vs the quoted single both online and on the coach.

Very comfortable journey, impressed as to how well CityLink/Stagecoach are able to hit the right balance and combine intercity travel with local journeys on this route. There was most certainly a coach full awaiting the Glasgow (possibly Edinburgh, I can’t remember) departure from Fort William on my arrival.
I think the 919 provides a local service, I think a Stagecoach local service ran from Inverness down Loch Ness. For days out it can be annoying buying advance tickets and for coaches to sell out.

InOban

Established Member
Throughout the Highlands the coach service is also the bus. Any additional bus services are tied to the schools. Fortunately our bus pass is also valid on coach services.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
This was inevitable, I suppose:

Scottish Citylink has moved quickly to capitalise on a reduced rail timetable in Scotland by adding capacity to its scheduled coach network.

The company says its summer timetable, introduced in week commencing 23 May, includes almost 10,000 extra seats per week on west coast routes and a new overnight round trip between Glasgow and Aberdeen. In addition, Scottish Citylink will provide additional vehicles if needed to ensure demand is met “as far as possible.”

Routes to see an increase in capacity include those between Glasgow and Campbelltown, Fort William and Oban, respectively; between Edinburgh and Fort William; between Inverness and Fort William; and between Inverness and Skye.

Says Scottish Citylink Operations Director Simone Smith: “It is always an exciting time when we introduce our summer timetable, and this year the additional services in place will be more important than ever to keep people connected while some rail services are reduced over the coming weeks and months.”

Train operator ScotRail, which provides the bulk of Scotland’s rail services, recently cut the number of trains on weekdays by around one-third, including a severe drop in departures after 2000hrs. The changed rail timetables have been introduced owing to an industrial dispute. ScotRail will not provide road replacement services for suspended journeys.

Scottish Citylink has also highlighted its existing service between Glasgow and Edinburgh. City centre to city centre provision observes a peak frequency of 15 minutes and runs 24/7. Under the current reduced rail schedule, the final train services between Scotland’s two largest cities are at 2215hrs, with only four in each direction after 2000hrs on weekdays.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
This was inevitable, I suppose:

That's a clickbait headline, the summer timetable was due to start on May 23rd anyway (well before the reduced ScotRail timetable was announced). There are always enhanced frequencies on the West Coast during the summer months for the increased tourism

Stan Drews

Established Member
That's a clickbait headline, the summer timetable was due to start on May 23rd anyway (well before the reduced ScotRail timetable was announced). There are always enhanced frequencies on the West Coast during the summer months for the increased tourism
Indeed. Any changes would have been submitted to the relevant authorities 70 days prior.
Still don’t blame them for capitalising on the opportunity though!!

It would be out of character for the media to report things accurately. Quality journalism became extinct some time ago.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Don't shoot the messenger!

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I definitely think Scottish Citylink should look into sparing bigger vehicles for some of the West Highland Runs, as I’m not too sure the Irizars would cope with the extra load of passengers. The services are already pretty busy when the trains aren’t ruined.

Unstoppable

On Moderation
Definitely in need of Panoramas going up to the West Highlands to gain capacity. The 10am departure from Glasgow to Skye is often rejecting unreserved pax from the city. It’s a shame they seem reluctant to pull Crianlarich from the timetable to avoid the low bridges or seek advice about another stop on the A82 after the bypass roundabout which would allow deckers to make it to Fort William and Skye. The gain of just under 40 extra pax per service would definitely outweigh the loss of pulling one stop

Brooke

Practical advice Q pls folks.

I’m planning to do a few days’ out & back hill walks, staying in Glasgow and staying waking from places like Tarbet and Succoth.

Is it practical to rely on Citylink to get me there and back?

Specifically, do the early am services out of Glasgow run reliably (eg 06:10 dep on route 926)?

And how likely that I can turn up and get on a bus back in the afternoon, without a booking?

Thanks for any guidance! I’m trying to avoid hiring a car or being reliant on the infrequent trains.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Practical advice Q pls folks.

I’m planning to do a few days’ out & back hill walks, staying in Glasgow and staying waking from places like Tarbet and Succoth.

Is it practical to rely on Citylink to get me there and back?

Specifically, do the early am services out of Glasgow run reliably (eg 06:10 dep on route 926)?

And how likely that I can turn up and get on a bus back in the afternoon, without a booking?

Thanks for any guidance! I’m trying to avoid hiring a car or being reliant on the infrequent trains.
The West Highland services are quite high in demand, and they don’t use the same big vehicles that the Intercity routes do.

I think it’d be worth making a booking for the one you want, just so you are guaranteed space and not left disappointed/stranded somewhere.

They are generally reliable though.
Definitely in need of Panoramas going up to the West Highlands to gain capacity. The 10am departure from Glasgow to Skye is often rejecting unreserved pax from the city. It’s a shame they seem reluctant to pull Crianlarich from the timetable to avoid the low bridges or seek advice about another stop on the A82 after the bypass roundabout which would allow deckers to make it to Fort William and Skye. The gain of just under 40 extra pax per service would definitely outweigh the loss of pulling one stop
RE the Crianlarich stop, it’s quite a popular one from experience, so I can see why Citylink don’t want to use it.

route101

Established Member
The 926 should be ok as the Campbelltown services are not as busy as the other West Highland services. Do they run any dupes on the West Highland services?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I definitely think Scottish Citylink should look into sparing bigger vehicles for some of the West Highland Runs, as I’m not too sure the Irizars would cope with the extra load of passengers. The services are already pretty busy when the trains aren’t ruined.
The 6 Cities service too.. Those new Elites Parks are using are a joke, far too small for the work they're on!

InOban

Established Member
They can't run the 3 axle coaches North of Tarbet. Can you imagine them in the worst twisty section?

The problem isn't the low bridge. The side of Loch Lomond is absolute torture to drive up with a 12 metre coach never mind a Panorama at 14.5 metres.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
The problem isn't the low bridge. The side of Loch Lomond is absolute torture to drive up with a 12 metre coach never mind a Panorama at 14.5 metres.
Oh that's fair.

Perhaps if they can't run bigger vehicles, maybe run a duplicate where resources allow? Or even contracting a company like McLean's with Megabus's M11X

Most 2-axle coaches are about 12.6-12.8m

I means what about an interdeck 13.8m version? Those seat more but aren’t that much longer than 2-axle coaches.

West Coast Motors also have B8R Elites at 13.2m now.

Can I also point out that during the summer the 1000 915 pretty much gets duplicated with the 1010 977 Oban service as far as Tyndrum. Passengers wanting to go on to Fort William then change bus on to the 913 which then is running just 10 minutes behind the 915. The capacity is already in place.
What will happen to these bigger buses when the winter timetable comes back? There's a reason there is only 4 buses a day on this service and that's because the capacity is more than adequate.