• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Citylink

Unstoppable

On Moderation
The Panoramas for Citylink do tend to get quite a big of mileage on them, as at least once a week one strays onto the M11 service.
Most of the Mega Panoramas are at around 230-300,000 miles at the moment

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Unstoppable

On Moderation
How are they doing so far in terms of reliability? The Panos are good machines.
They are reliable however their biggest downfall is the heating system. Since new they have had constant issues with the cab heating screen freezing on full heat or full air con which requires a 10 minute reset to rectify but then will occur again further down the road. You can only select one temperature for both decks which is silly as you have a large amount of body heat up stairs and downstairs you have less along with a gap at the bin which lets cold air in. Volvo and co have been out working hard trying to rectify the issue. Engineers a few weekends ago were out testing the system at Harthill on the 900s. The passenger heating now shows ON for both decks meaning it can not be altered. This means the coach decides the heating which from what I hear isn't working out too great as it can't be bypassed. The Astromegas have the best heating system. The driver selects the top deck front and back along with lower deck meaning each area can be a different temperature. This is especially handy as the upper deck gets very warm when busy especially the rear of the coach.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
They are reliable however their biggest downfall is the heating system. Since new they have had constant issues with the cab heating screen freezing on full heat or full air con which requires a 10 minute reset to rectify but then will occur again further down the road. You can only select one temperature for both decks which is silly as you have a large amount of body heat up stairs and downstairs you have less along with a gap at the bin which lets cold air in. Volvo and co have been out working hard trying to rectify the issue. Engineers a few weekends ago were out testing the system at Harthill on the 900s. The passenger heating now shows ON for both decks meaning it can not be altered. This means the coach decides the heating which from what I hear isn't working out too great as it can't be bypassed. The Astromegas have the best heating system. The driver selects the top deck front and back along with lower deck meaning each area can be a different temperature. This is especially handy as the upper deck gets very warm when busy especially the rear of the coach.

I remember on the M11 the Astros after a while weren’t faring up too well on the M11, with vehicle changes being common. I wonder how long it’ll be before the Panoramas begin breaking down as a result of constant work

Unstoppable

On Moderation
I remember on the M11 the Astros after a while weren’t faring up too well on the M11, with vehicle changes being common. I wonder how long it’ll be before the Panoramas begin breaking down as a result of constant work
Once the manufacturers warranty expires this is when you will notice problems. The wheels never stop turning and minor problems are overlooked even when put on the defect card which results in a major problem at a later date. The Astromegas are excellent, it is a real shame they never paid the extra to get more. They are true long distance coaches. Just a shame they don't get the TLC they need to keep on going. With the Astromegas you find there are a lot of sensor problems which flag up red warning lights relating to fuel filters and engine management. Normally a 15 minute master reset from the rear panel clears it but after 3 attempts company policy dictates the vehicle is off the road

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I believe they have some Elites in Citylink livery that haven't been on Citylink work in a while?
They're on the 919 constantly, they just don't track correctly. 53103 hasn't been used on Citylink work in ages and the only reason it hasn't been repainted is purely due to the fact it's up for replacement imminently. If i recall correctly 53623/24 were repainted in to Citylink colours due to the increased vehicle requirement over the summer period, however out with the summer they are mostly used on normal service work and as back ups to the Elites.

route101

Established Member
I know the Panorama's that are currently on the 900 have the LED screens but I've never actually seen them working apart from the Time and date and displaying "Scottish Citylink".

Where are the LED screens on those buses? Never seen them.

The Panoramas for Citylink do tend to get quite a big of mileage on them, as at least once a week one strays onto the M11 service.

At least its a double decker coach and no different inside. I once had a panther on M11 once.

Where are the LED screens on those buses? Never seen them.

At least its a double decker coach and no different inside. I once had a panther on M11 once.
You can't miss them there's one at the front and one above the rear steps, sure there's one on the bottom deck never noticed where they are though I never sit on the bottom deck.

route101

Established Member
You can't miss them there's one at the front and one above the rear steps, sure there's one on the bottom deck never noticed where they are though I never sit on the bottom deck.

Will look out nice time. Yes I never sit on the bottom deck either.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Hello everyone. I understand Citylink Gold services or most of them are now in the hands of Volvo / Plaxton Panorama's. Are these used on the G90 or is it the 17-plate Scania Irizars?

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
There are no Gold services at the moment - they all operate as their "M" equivalent (M9, M92, etc), except the G9 which isn't operating at the moment.

Parks do the following runs (usually with their Gold Panoramas), the spares will usually be found elsewhere (900s or standard M9s usually)
M10 0730 Glasgow-Inverness
M10 0920 Glasgow-Inverness
M10 1225 Inverness-Glasgow
M10 1425 Inverness-Glasgow
M90 0800 Edinburgh-Inverness
M90 1325 Inverness-Edinburgh

Stagecoach Western also have involvement (which can be an Astromega or Panorama), as do Edinburgh Coach Lines (usually a Scania Irizar).

route101

Established Member
Have the Gold Panoramas replaced the Van Hools? What is the seating like in these? I didn't like the van hools seating.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I'd say the Gold service is split between Panorama and Astromega. There is definitely an evening G10 journey from Inverness that is Astromega operated, the rest should all be panoramas.

The main difference on the Gold Panoramas is the addition of extra tables on the upper deck as well as a small kitchen on the lower deck.

route101

Established Member
I see. The Astromegas were fine if it was quiet. I did take one from Cardiff to London and it was packed. My memory was sitting across from a kid and being served a lukewarm 250ml bottle of Barrs Cola!

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I see. The Astromegas were fine if it was quiet. I did take one from Cardiff to London and it was packed. My memory was sitting across from a kid and being served a lukewarm 250ml bottle of Barrs Cola!

I had the Astromega on the 18:25 from Inverness. I was the only one on it all the way to Glasgow. The driver was really good and the seats were amazing. He turned off the main lights so it was just the reading ones on, I turned off all the reading lights. It was peaceful.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Looking forward to experiencing the upgraded vehicles on the A9 corridor, the panthers did very well but were really showing their age last time I went on 1, they have of course been worked very hard. Roll on the end of the month when I think I might treat myself to a night in the highlands to catch up with friends

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Looking forward to experiencing the upgraded vehicles on the A9 corridor, the panthers did very well but were really showing their age last time I went on 1, they have of course been worked very hard. Roll on the end of the month when I think I might treat myself to a night in the highlands to catch up with friends
You'll probably end up catching with some of those Panthers too as that's where much of them have ended up! I agree though, the Astromegas and Panoramas really are a huge step up in terms of quality.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
You'll probably end up catching with some of those Panthers too as that's where much of them have ended up! I agree though, the Astromegas and Panoramas really are a huge step up in terms of quality.

I believe most of the ex-900 ones are now in Stagecoach Distance and reside up in the Highlands.

Don't be fooled if you see an Elite in Inverness in Citylink livery, it'll most likely be going on a Stagecoach service. (God knows why)

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Don't be fooled if you see an Elite in Inverness in Citylink livery, it'll most likely be going on a Stagecoach service. (God knows why)
I think they are used on the Citylink 917/919 and interworked with standard Stagecoach services too (they'd otherwise be sat at the bus station on layover) - the 56 rings a bell but not 100% sure, I've never really paid much attention to the Highland services!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I believe most of the ex-900 ones are now in Stagecoach Distance and reside up in the Highlands.

Indeed, hence my original post! Most are at Thurso with a few at Tain.

The 6 Elites there are primarily for the 917/919. But get used on other services as/when needed.

I think they are used on the Citylink 917/919 and interworked with standard Stagecoach services too (they'd otherwise be sat at the bus station on layover) - the 56 rings a bell but not 100% sure, I've never really paid much attention to the Highland services!

Its the 917 that interworks with a few short runs to Uig on the 57A/57C. Citylink livery 54362 has been on the 56 quite a bit lately but thats just because its on loan to Skye.

route101

Established Member
I had the Astromega on the 18:25 from Inverness. I was the only one on it all the way to Glasgow. The driver was really good and the seats were amazing. He turned off the main lights so it was just the reading ones on, I turned off all the reading lights. It was peaceful.
It makes the journey so much better.

I saw a Panther on the 909 at Glasgow Buchanan Bus Station, so must still be in use. I don't get why the 909 is not numbered the M8.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Seen a panther on the 909 at Glasgow Buchanan Bus Station, so must still be in use. I don't get why the 909 is not numbered the M8.
Because the M8 and 909 are completely different routes. The M8 operates to Perth/Dundee while the 909 operates to Edinburgh.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
It makes the journey so much better.

I saw a Panther on the 909 at Glasgow Buchanan Bus Station, so must still be in use. I don't get why the 909 is not numbered the M8.

The 909 is basically the Glasgow/Edinburgh - Stirling bus, but you can travel all the way to Edinburgh on it. The M8 runs to Dundee as Jordan said.

The 909 seems to be bringing up Panoramas and Astromegas with the "Six Cities" branding. I'd expect most services in the hands of Panthers to eventually go over to full double decker.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I think the point that @route101 was trying to make was that M8 would be a more appropriate number for the direct Edinburgh to Glasgow service because that's the road it takes.

It was merely an observation, that's all.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I think the point that @route101 was trying to make was that M8 would be a more appropriate number for the direct Edinburgh to Glasgow service because that's the road it takes.

It was merely an observation, that's all.
But that isn't the point they made, nor what they were trying to make. The 909 isn't the direct Edinburgh to Glasgow service the 900 is. The 909 is Edinburgh - Stirling with some journeys extending to Glasgow via Cumbernauld. I would assume Route101's comment was because between Glasgow and Stirling the M8 and 909 follow the same route.

I believe the main reason the 900 wasn't renumbered was because at the time it was seen as an already well established brand whereas the Aberdeen/Inverness - Edinburgh/Glasgow services were overcomplicated with far too many minor variations. The M series routes north of the central belt are grouped based on if they go to Edinburgh or Glasgow, hence the M8, M9, M10 & M11 all operate from Glasgow while the M90, M91 & M92 are from Edinburgh