• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Citylink

Established Member
£10 walk up any time. Ive never bought advance fares, but when I've seen people use them , the drivers seem lenient to accept them onto earlier tickets. When i go to Edinburgh i don't know exactly what service im getting and coming back on.
But not on the Night services. I think it is £14ish on the Night ones.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
But not on the Night services. I think it is £14ish on the Night ones.

Ive never used the night services, still have to make my way from Glasgow to my house and theres no night buses right now.

I agree, the new coaches are very nice, excellent if you can get the front seat upstairs :D
It must just be peak-time congestion then, I've taken the 100 plenty of times (though only ever at the weekend) and fairly often it would only take about 20-25 minutes from Haymarket to the Airport.

Off peak its fine. Usually out of Edinburgh traffic at Corstrophine and from airport to Newbridge Roundabout on A8.

Butts

Veteran Member
Why don't all Citylink Long Distance Services have scheduled stops of 5-10 mins or so to enable people to stretch their legs or have a ciggie like the 915 does ?

I'm thinking 3 Hour Duration.

Looking at Glasgow - Campbeltown 2 minutes in Inveraray not much good. :E

computerSaysNo

Established Member
Why don't all Citylink Long Distance Services have scheduled stops of 5-10 mins or so to enable people to stretch their legs or have a ciggie like the 915 does ?

Because otherwise they'd never get anywhere if they stopped a lot? If people want to have a break then they can split their journey (which is optional), rather than forcing a break upon everyone, some of whom don't want it.

route101

Established Member

Im sure one of the Glasgow to Skye services has 45 minutes in Fort William as a break.

Butts

Veteran Member
Im sure one of the Glasgow to Skye services has 45 minutes in Fort William as a break.

It does I was on it last Friday on the way back.

The 915 also has 2 or three stops both ways between Glasgow and Skye and coming back.

Other services lack this on similar duration legs.

Having said that I was on a "stopper" the other week between Perth and Inverness and the Driver threw in a couple of unscheduled short stops.

The fact he was a smoker, was, I'm sure, purely coincidental.

Because otherwise they'd never get anywhere if they stopped a lot? If people want to have a break then they can split their journey (which is optional), rather than forcing a break upon everyone, some of whom don't want it.

Calm down, were talking about 5 mins on a 3 Hour journey !!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
It does I was on it last Friday on the way back.

The 915 also has 2 or three stops both ways between Glasgow and Skye and coming back.

Other services lack this on similar duration legs.

Having said that I was on a "stopper" the other week between Perth and Inverness and the Driver threw in a couple of unscheduled short stops.

The fact he was a smoker, was, I'm sure, purely coincidental.
Totally coincidental :)

I've had a fair few journeys up and down the A9 over the years. I'd say that on most of them the timetable seemed to have a fair bit of slack; there would usually be a bit of a pause at intermediate stops while the timetable caught up, and I seem to recall that there was often a longer break at Pitlochry. I honestly can't recall if this was built into the timetable, but I've heard a few drivers announce that there would be a few minutes to wait and that anyone who wished to "stretch their legs" was welcome to do so.

overthewater

Established Member
The xmas details have come out, and in a very surprising move 900 has kept its xmas day service. However the have scaled back the inverness and Aberdeen service on Boxing day, while on 24th and 31st they are cutting right back the amount of services after 3pm

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Oh dear, there will be calls from angry Stirling residents!
"6 Cities" refers to the Saltire services which are the main Aberdeen/Inverness to Edinburgh/Glasgow routes. Hence the M8 and Stirling are not included....

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Perhaps they were scared of using "7 Cities" in case Scotrail threw a wobbler :E
Actually, i'm pretty sure Citylink used the "6 Cities" brand first, it's been in their publicity for quite a few years now.

Unstoppable

On Moderation
That is all of the Oxford Tube Astromega's up in Scotland which were planned. They are currently being put into the Scottish Citylink livery and should be operational before long. Rumours have it Perth are also getting 10 Panorama's from Oxford Tube which means the new fleet is being diverted. I can't confirm this as the latter bit of my post is a current rumour

route101

Established Member
That is all of the Oxford Tube Astromega's up in Scotland which were planned. They are currently being put into the Scottish Citylink livery and should be operational before long. Rumours have it Perth are also getting 10 Panorama's from Oxford Tube which means the new fleet is being diverted. I can't confirm this as the latter bit of my post is a current rumour
New fleet diverted?

Nice to see more deckers on routes

OmniCity999

Established Member
Some of the Stagecoach Oxford new Panorama fleet is going to Perth.
Been reading that some of the Panoramas and some of the Astromegas are going to Perth (or other depots), is this for Citylink, Megabus or Stagecoach services?

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Been reading that some of the Panoramas and some of the Astromegas are going to Perth (or other depots), is this for Citylink, Megabus or Stagecoach services?
6 Vanhools and 10 Panoramas to Perth (one of which will actually go to Rennies (Cowdenbeath) I would assume) is what I have been told, to replace 54101, 54118-54129, 54362/3

route101

Established Member
I wonder if this will mean the end of Panthers on Citylink work? Ones I seen were on the M8 service and sometimes M9, m91

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I wonder if this will mean the end of Panthers on Citylink work? Ones I seen were on the M8 service and sometimes M9, m91
Edinburgh Coachlines still have one (OIG 1543) and use it on their 909, M90 and M92 diagrams (and the 2000 900 Glasgow-Edinburgh on a Sunday if it happens to be on that diagram).

One of the Highland operators - D&E Coaches - also have one.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Edinburgh Coachlines still have one (OIG 1543) and use it on their 909, M90 and M92 diagrams (and the 2000 900 Glasgow-Edinburgh on a Sunday if it happens to be on that diagram).

One of the Highland operators - D&E Coaches - also have one.

To add to that Stagecoach Highlands also have 53103 & 53623/24 in Citylink colours. Although none of them have seen use on a Citylink service in quite some time!

Scotrail314209

Established Member
To add to that Stagecoach Highlands also have 53103 & 53623/24 in Citylink colours. Although none of them have seen use on a Citylink service in quite some time!

I believe they have some Elites in Citylink livery that haven't been on Citylink work in a while?

Unstoppable

On Moderation
Yes, Panthers will be leaving the network once the Oxford Tube motors are fully operational. Panther 54126 has been retired for a couple of months now due to collision damage at Kinross.

Unstoppable

On Moderation
Seems all go at Citylink just now.
The Rugby Megabus vehicles have been fitted with a small computer in the cab which carries out automatic announcements. Unsure if the Scottish based fleet will get them as they are seen as joint venture opposed to being Megabus

The Rugby Megabus vehicles have been fitted with a small computer in the cab which carries out automatic announcements. Unsure if the Scottish based fleet will get them as they are seen as joint venture opposed to being Megabus
I know the Panorama's that are currently on the 900 have the LED screens but I've never actually seen them working apart from the Time and date and displaying "Scottish Citylink".

Scotrail314209

Established Member
The Panoramas for Citylink do tend to get quite a big of mileage on them, as at least once a week one strays onto the M11 service.