• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Citylink

route101

Established Member
Citylink are posting on facebook about a new service which looks like going to Troon.

Not sure if the link will work.

New service from Glasgow to Troon starts this week.

Service numbered 922
Ten minute connection between bus and ferry, is that not a bit tight?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

roadierway77

Ten minute connection between bus and ferry, is that not a bit tight?
I certainly wouldn't like to risk a connection that tight. I generally like to get to a ferry terminal 20-30 minutes before departure, with a 10 minute connection you're screwed if the bus gets held up in traffic.

Spsf3232

I would imagine the bus to be at least 10 minutes early arriving if it gets a good run and it should do as the times are not within rush hour

ClydeCoaster

The 922 is going to be operated by Hairy Haggis with a Yutong TCe12, charged at First's Caledonia depot. Though, as the article below notes, the timetable means it's not possible for the same vehicle to operate all the journeys.

The Scottish Citylink network will gain its first liveried zero-emission coach in the form of a battery-electric Yutong TCe12 operated by Hairy Haggis Coaches.

It will be deployed on a new daily service between Glasgow and Troon from 29 March, to link with the Caledonian MacBrayne ferry to and from Brodick on Arran. That coach route will see four round trips per day, although the timetable shows that on weekdays it is not possible for the same vehicle to operate all of them. Troon town centre will also be served.

Charging of the TCe12 will be handled at the Caledonia depot of First Glasgow in a further example of that facility’s provision of such services to third parties.

Speaking about the battery-electric development, Scottish Citylink Managing Director Simone Walsh says: “This new service will allow people a hassle-free way to travel between Glasgow and Troon to connect with ferry services to Arran, and it is another example of the ways that we work hard to join up journeys for our customers.

“We are also delighted to be introducing the first electric vehicle onto our network. It is a great opportunity for us to make this an even greener route, and we hope our customers enjoy travelling on this state-of-the-art coach.”

Separately, Scottish Citylink recently announced that its summer timetable – which runs from late March to September – will deliver a claimed uplift of around 10,000 extra seats per week compared to the previous winter schedule.

Among improvements are a doubling of the number of services between Edinburgh and Glasgow to Dundee and Aberdeen between Thursday and Sunday, and a doubling of direct services between Edinburgh and Inverness.

Ms Smith adds that this year’s summer timetable has “focused on increasing the number of direct journeys.”

Ewan M

All going well, I should be capturing the first 922 departure out of Glasgow Buchanan Bus Station tomorrow morning 8-)

Will be interesting to see the other coach Hairy Haggis will need to deploy on the route during weekdays

I take it it goes M77 then A71 to Troon?
More likely M77/A77 then A78

All going well, I should be capturing the first 922 departure out of Glasgow Buchanan Bus Station tomorrow morning 8-)

Will be interesting to see the other coach Hairy Haggis will need to deploy on the route during weekdays

Possibly EX-Stagecoach 54126 now H10HHT.

The "second" coach used on the 922 is the 1015 xGlasgow and is utilised by a Kilmarnock Panorama.

HH appeared to be using another of their coaches on the M92 yesterday.
MIT/AMS and HH are one and the same now.

All operations have moved to a new OC at Bathgate Industrial Estate.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Something which seems to have gone unnoticed is that one journey each way on the M9 now extends to London overnight at weekends replacing the M11X. Initially i thought this was perhaps just a data error however last night i passed a McLeans Futura heading southbound near Forfar on the 20:00 M9 from Aberdeen with "London M9" on the display, so this also confirms that the run does indeed exist. It appears the M11X still operates during the week.

Bustimes M9 timetable where the London extension can be seen.

Fundee on Tay

Something which seems to have gone unnoticed is that one journey each way on the M9 now extends to London overnight at weekends replacing the M11X. Initially i thought this was perhaps just a data error however last night i passed a McLeans Futura heading southbound near Forfar on the 20:00 M9 from Aberdeen with "London M9" on the display, so this also confirms that the run does indeed exist. It appears the M11X still operates during the week.

It’s taken a long time to reinstate the direct Aberdeen - London service post-Covid.

The timetable appears to be exactly the same as when it last ran, with the omission of stops at Cumbernauld and Stirling and the re numbering of the service from M11 to M9.

Last took this service from Dundee in 2019, looking forward to its return!

Parebunks

M11X is only Sunday and Monday towards Glasgow, mostly replaced during the week with an M20X running London-Edi-Glasgow rather than London-Glasgow-Edi. All on my 'English' megabus spreadsheet at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...KUmJKYv76HxvA9TXYlDBXlslDzY/edit?usp=drivesdk! Good to have the direct London to Aberdeen back, Flix on the N11 do stop a lot overnight.

roadierway77

Good to see a direct Aberdeen-London Megabus service back. The N11 provides good connections along the M1 corridor but it's a fair bit slower as a direct London - Scotland link.

route101

Established Member
M11X is only Sunday and Monday towards Glasgow, mostly replaced during the week with an M20X running London-Edi-Glasgow rather than London-Glasgow-Edi. All on my 'English' megabus spreadsheet at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...KUmJKYv76HxvA9TXYlDBXlslDzY/edit?usp=drivesdk! Good to have the direct London to Aberdeen back, Flix on the N11 do stop a lot overnight.
The M11x and M20x have always confused me. The M11 runs up the west side with M11x run by Macleans. The M20 runs up the east side and the M20x can take either route. I have seen it on the M6.

cambsy

On Moderation
Is this service single decker or double decker operated? I’ll use this service when next up in Scotland.

roadierway77

Just tried out the new 922 service to see how well it connects to the ferry at Troon. The answer - it does not connect well. The bus arrived five minutes late to the stop at Templehill in Troon, which meant it only arrived ten minutes prior to the ferry departure, which is when check in for foot passengers closes - the bus stop is a ten minute walk from the terminal. It's quite easy to see that those timings do not add up, despite the fact the timetable advertises a connection with the ferry at Troon. Not very good, poor planning.

ld0595

I'm wondering if anyone here can give some advice on the Glasgow to Belfast Citylik ticket situation. I'm booked to go with my partner on Friday but only my name is on the tickets (I don't recall having the option to add her name). Will this be an issue getting onto the bus/ferry or will I be fine just showing the confirmation email despite having my name on both of them? Cheers in advance.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Shouldn't be a problem I don't think but maybe worth a customer service email to them, they usually pretty responsive and I can't imagine that for a simple thing like a name change they would charge you in a thing if they wanted to update the system and send you a new confirmation

I've noticed this for quite sometime but does anyone know why to M9/M92 are seen near the scott fyfe roundabout in dundee when going to/from Aberdeen. Is this to avoid congestion on the forfar road before joining the A90?

overthewater

Established Member
I've noticed this for quite sometime but does anyone know why to M9/M92 are seen near the scott fyfe roundabout in dundee when going to/from Aberdeen. Is this to avoid congestion on the forfar road before joining the A90?

A bunch of hypocrites complained about the 3 coaches an hour that use Forfar Road and demanded the coaches be diverted away while completely ignoring all the trucks, vans and cars.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
In fairness the speed some of the coaches went down that road its understandable why people would complain. Especially when the frequency of coaches has essentially doubled twice now.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Are you suggesting that they were exceeding the speed limit?
From my own observations, yes. The downhill section on Wellington Road in Aberdeen which is a 30mph limit is another bad spot, particularly at night.

With that said its not exclusive to certain Citylink sub-contractors. Last month i was in a van on the A90 between Dundee and Perth sitting at 60mph (the speed limit for that type of vehicle) and an Ember coach went flying past in the outside lane so most definitely wasn't sticking to the 60mph limit.