• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Electrification updates & discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altnabreac

Established Member
So the basis for the Exhibition Centre turnback, whether it takes the form of a platform on the existing siding or a new siding to the west of the station, is to allow more trains to serve Exhibition Centre specifically. As you say, with the new 12000 seater Hydro doing great business it should be worth the investment.

I think it's partly this and partly to add capacity. I believe the current turnback is fairly limited in capacity (it could take the Whifflet services but not much more) so if you want to create capacity at Central by diverting Shotts and other services the turnback needs some work whether the existing one upgraded or a new one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Photohunter71

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/cp5-delivery-plan/cp5-enhancements-delivery-plan.pdf

Page 141 confirms which projects are being considered for funding from the Scottish Network Improvement Fund in Control Period 5 including

Anniesland connection;
Charing Cross turnback;
Exhibition Centre turnback;
Edinburgh suburban electrification

Page 162 confirms:
2 x major bridge reconstructions on the Edinburgh Suburban Lines;
the planned electrification of the Edinburgh suburban lines would be early in CP5.

Now that's interesting.I wonder exactly where the 2 bridges are located for this proposed reconstruction to allow the electrification.I may be thinking along the Mayfield road in the Newington area (42 bus route goes over the line there),and perhaps Morningside?
I recently e-mailed David Spaven to lend my support for getting more freight on the sub,I got a very encouraging reply. I'll drop him another e-mail soon.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Now that's interesting.I wonder exactly where the 2 bridges are located for this proposed reconstruction to allow the electrification.I may be thinking along the Mayfield road in the Newington area (42 bus route goes over the line there),and perhaps Morningside?
I recently e-mailed David Spaven to lend my support for getting more freight on the sub,I got a very encouraging reply. I'll drop him another e-mail soon.
You will have a lot more chance come September when Peteborough and Water Orton to Carstairs via Newcastle and Berwick is cleared to W12.

davetheguard

Established Member
Going back to the original post in this thread, the Rutherglen - Whifflet line was due to be electrified in 2014, in a cheap "Paisley Canal" type scheme.

I've seen several pictures in the railway press of the masts going up on the line to Cumbernauld (also due for completion in 2014) but nothing about the Whifflet line.

Can someone please confirm that work is indeed going ahead, and whether the project is on time?

Thanks in advance.

sd0733

Established Member
Going back to the original post in this thread, the Rutherglen - Whifflet line was due to be electrified in 2014, in a cheap "Paisley Canal" type scheme.

I've seen several pictures in the railway press of the masts going up on the line to Cumbernauld (also due for completion in 2014) but nothing about the Whifflet line.

Can someone please confirm that work is indeed going ahead, and whether the project is on time?

Thanks in advance.

When I travelled to Whifflet a few weeks ago there were quite a few bases for electrification masts being installed so is definitely starting.

Edit: Missed last post when I wrote that!

Last edited:

66C

Plans are afoot to connect Maryhill line services at Anniesland and integrated with the low level services to take them out of Queen St high level. Possibly connecting up with Whifflet services via Central low level.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
You will have a lot more chance come September when Peteborough and Water Orton to Carstairs via Newcastle and Berwick is cleared to W12.

The CP5 plan says completion of this is September 2016.

Apparently due for completion in August 2014.

Altnabreac

Established Member
Whifflet line has had regular evening bus replacement services for some time to enable infrastructure work to start earlier.
http://www.scotrail.co.uk/sites/default/files/documents/11258_Springburn_-_Dec_13.web.pdf

These evening closures are due to finish in mid May so my guess is most of the infrastructure work will be complete by then with just stringing the wires and testing taking place after that.

I'm sure there will be a very strong focus on getting it finished by the Commonwealth Games.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
The line was closed all last week for the second of the two week-long possessions.
Amongst other things, ramps were removed from (some at least of) the platforms.

Well, at least it will make the Ryder Cup if not the Commonwealth Games.

clc

Established Member
Plans are afoot to connect Maryhill line services at Anniesland and integrated with the low level services to take them out of Queen St high level. Possibly connecting up with Whifflet services via Central low level.

That's interesting but how would that work if there's no room for more services through Hyndland?

Railsigns

Established Member

The Whifflet line had better not be electrified using the cheap "Paisley Canal" method (which requires an isolation before a locomotive may run on the line), since it carries regular freight traffic.

I've seen several pictures in the railway press of the masts going up on the line to Cumbernauld (also due for completion in 2014)

The wires on the Cumbernauld line are already energised. Electric trains have run, albeit not in public service.

PhilipW

I am happy to be corrected if this is not true ...

I believe the Whifflet line will be able to be used as a diversionary route for Pendolinos between Motherwell and Glasgow. If true, it implies that the line is not being electrified "on the cheap" as the Paisley Canal line was.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The wires on the Cumbernauld line are already energised. Electric trains have run, albeit not in public service.

For those of us not able to see the Cumbernauld OHLE, is it similar to the North West wiring (Series 2 or whatever)?
With autotransformer capability?
Just interested in how standard the new OHLE rollout is across the country.

Railsigns

Established Member
For those of us not able to see the Cumbernauld OHLE, is it similar to the North West wiring (Series 2 or whatever)?
With autotransformer capability?
Just interested in how standard the new OHLE rollout is across the country.

I'm no expert in these things, but the equipment does look "different". Also, it's a rail return system; there are no booster transformers.

matchmaker

Established Member
Plans are afoot to connect Maryhill line services at Anniesland and integrated with the low level services to take them out of Queen St high level.

As it used to be. Why they closed the Anniesland - Maryhill Park connection is a mystery to me.

Class 170101

Established Member

I believe the Whifflet line will be able to be used as a diversionary route for Pendolinos between Motherwell and Glasgow. If true, it implies that the line is not being electrified "on the cheap" as the Paisley Canal line was.

I doubt its cheap in that way. I wonder whether Scotrail are not being compensated for the line closure. Also are there any derogrations under structures for OLE?

clc

Established Member

You are correct.

"Electrification provides a diversionary route for Virgin and First TransPennine Express passenger services, thus enhancing network resilience."

Page 163: http://www.networkrail.co.uk/cp5-delivery-plan/cp5-enhancements-delivery-plan.pdf

NotATrainspott

Established Member
I doubt its cheap in that way. I wonder whether Scotrail are not being compensated for the line closure. Also are there any derogrations under structures for OLE?

The Paisley Canal method of electrification isn't suitable for anything more than a short single-track branch line to free up EMUs. The Whifflet line is a two-track useful diversionary route for Pendolinos and other services so it would not be suitable for anything less than proper electrification.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
The Paisley Canal method of electrification isn't suitable for anything more than a short single-track branch line to free up EMUs. The Whifflet line is a two-track useful diversionary route for Pendolinos and other services so it would not be suitable for anything less than proper electrification.

And of course the Whifflet line is used for freight traffic, so the requirement to isolate when a diesel loco needs to pass through would be a tad inconvenient to say the least.

Photohunter71

I thought the UK had a uniform standard loading guage! I knew ours was narrower than most places hence why locomotives etc have to be designed to a certain set of specifications! That's good news all the same. I wonder what exactly could be going around the sub etc!
Anyway,back on topic, I have been thinking about which 2 bridges are needing the reconstruction so to aid electrification of the route! I am still taking wild guesses!

davetheguard

Established Member
You are correct.

"Electrification provides a diversionary route for Virgin and First TransPennine Express passenger services, thus enhancing network resilience."

Page 163: http://www.networkrail.co.uk/cp5-delivery-plan/cp5-enhancements-delivery-plan.pdf

For some reason, I had been under the delusion that the Whifflet line had been brought forward from 2016 to 2014 because it was being done on the cheap (i.e. like Paisley Canal).

The news that it has been brought forward, the work is being done, and to full network standard, is good news all round!

NotATrainspott

Established Member
The line is being done early because it will help free up DMUs for the Ryder Cup tournament later in 2014, something that the Cumbernauld wiring also does. The DMUs freed up from the two lines will then cascade to make up most, if not all, of the fleet (158s and 170s) needed for the initial Borders Railway timetable when it opens in 2015.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Interesting. Keith Brown did indicate in his announcement last year that the Whifflet electrification was due to be completed in time to provide extra transport options during the Commonwealth Games (23 July — 3 August 2014). Does your source indicate otherwise?

The August completion date is on the NR CP5 delivery plan, just published, page 163.

Speaking to one of the contractor's staff yesterday, he was of the opinion that with the amount of work still to be done (eg platform ends/heights/clearances, masts/wiring, fencing etc) and adding testing and driver training it would certainly NOT be ready for the Commonwealth Games. He thought October/November for a full passenger EMU service.

Keith Brown was certainly a little optimistic in his announcement if not actually misleading. Ready for the Ryder Cup? Possibly.

Class 170101

Established Member
This link from Transport Scotland says Summer 2014 for Whifflet Wiring
http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/rail/rail-improvements/EGIP-2014

The Ryder Cup takes place 23 - 28 September 2014 according to this link
http://www.rydercup2014.com/

Looking also at Realtimetrains it shows Motherwell to Cumbernauld and Springburn (et al) to Cumbernauld services being timed as EMUs from the May Timetable change date, whilst Glasgow Central to Whifflet services are still timed as DMUs. I would assume therefore either Scotrail expects a timetable change mid timetable (maybe September when summer only services finish) or more likely EMUs will run to DMU timings until December 2014.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Have Scotrail got any ideas of what EMU's they'll be buying? Or will it just be a case of knocking on Siemens door and asking for more 380's?

It will be in the winning bid for the new Scotrail franchise.
The bids are due in this month, so the "knocking on doors" will already have been done by the 5 bidders.

Status
Not open for further replies.