• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Screenshot Thread [Large Images]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bill EWS

Hi Dennis,
Loved the screenshots, It will be interesting seeing the route completed with that level of quality and texture. Fantastic work.

In regard to 'sense of humour' anyone who has ever been in the cab or mess room with drivers, trainmen, etc, will know how much humour is a part of the job and they share much humour towards themselves and each other. It is very much part of the job. However, from the moment a driver put's his/her coat on, picks up their equipment and walks to their train, the serious side immediately takes over. The weather conditons at the time will be taken in and sections of the route they are going to work over will already have been taken into consideration, well before they depart. The type of locomotive and train will also be taken into consideration and in the case where they are relieving a driver en-route, each will discuss the state of the loco, train, brakes, weather etc. A driver will not know how the train will handle until they are already on the move and any information from the previous driver will be welcomed. This takes in the state of the loco at whatever stage it as leading up to the next service. In the case of the loco, are the brake blocks new or near replacement. Likewise, do the mixed type of wagons and brakes work well together. Why, do you think, drivers don't like 'new' brake blocks'? and why are considered just as dangerous as blocks almost due for replacing?

It may be dry and sunny at departure but will it be like that for the duration or as darkness falls could it be wet and slippery at certain places. Or perhaps a heavy, frosty fog. A train of Stone will handle different to that of of all-liquid, steel or coal train.

In the case of 'speeding' to make up time! Well, that is just NOT allowed. Whatever you may think! Plus, with today's TPWS and ATP, you would soon be caught out should the computer have to be be downloaded for any reason antyging up to 24 hours after you have completed that turn of duty.

What the driver will do is, by using their full route, traction and train knowledge plus all the conditions mentioned above, will try to hold onto the 'maximum' speed of the line they are driving over for as long as possible before having to start braking either for the next restriction or stop. In foul weather it will be decided whether it is worth trying and they will simply accept that time is going to be lost. But with the correct conditions a driver can pull out the maximum possible to gain back enough seconds or a minute or two. This can include considering station stop times too. If they have the distance and time, under these conditions a long distance train can often regain the full lost time, but at no time will the driver have put themselves into a position where they would be speeding or accussed of such.

However, there is a lot of pressure put on the driver at these times and they much prefer to be driving under normall conditions and enjoy their working day. But they know the opportunity is there should they require it.

Now, to BVE, as a driving simulator! BVE shouldn't be underestimated. It has been well programmed and fwhe you add the 'train' characterists by the authors it is very good. You can certainly drive your train correctly. Just take a bit of time to learn the route so that you can think in advance.

A driver sees the route in their mind as if a film, allowing for the fact that things ca/will change in real time. But on the main the 'Permanant Way' remains the same and any changes have to be in writing and posted in advance at the times dictated in the Rules and Regulations to which copies must be given to train crews amd must be signed for. theer is a set period when they must have a 'refresher day' over the routes if they haven't driven over them for a certain period.

I would think that if BVE was linked to the very costly mechanics, hydraulics etc of a real train simulator you would be pleasantly surprised at how well it works. The negative side is that you can't get the feel of weight, momentum and vibration and don't have the correct driving controls. Perhaps too, some routes are not laid out to correct distances and so excellaration and braking times are difficult to imagine or get right while at speed. But where you have good distance you can shut off the controller and allow the train to loose momentum very much as the real thing, then start braking at a reasonable time and at constant pressure. It is too easy to over break with BVE and you should try usingt he brakes at less pressure and over a longer disatance. Again, due to route knowledge, drivers can allow their train to cruise for quite long distances with speed decreasing and the use the very minimum brake pressure to actually stop the train. Quite often they will shut off for a speed check and never touch the brake as they know that speed will gradually reduce over that distance and be correct as they reach the restriction.

Being a game, it is easy to treat BVE as such and go flying around as fast as you like. And this is where BVE can be changed for the better! If a loco or train can be made to derail above the stated speeds, such as on curves, and the game stopped, with a report, then BVE drivers may start to understand why trains should not be allowed to speed excessively and to take speed very serioiusly. It wouldn't go amiss to use the same professionalism when car driving! Afterall, the end results can so easily end up the same.

I had a flight simulator programme that did this. When you landed the plane incorrectly the game came to an end. BVE should also be able to do so. I have driven the HST over a route to the point of distruction and it is incredible to see the cab virtually turn over on it's side when enetering a sharp bend or set of points, but of course, BVE simply places it back to centre. If the train did derail and 'Game Over' WE would start to take BVE more seriously.

Now that programmers are getting such great detail and texture into their routes, this could be well worth considering.

By all means have fun and go mad on BVE every now and again, but likewise, don't forget that you get a lot of pleasure and satisfaction when you have driven the complete route correctly.

Slainte.

BillEWS.

Tom B

Established Member
BVE1 used to do that - you were 'scored' on certain aspects, so you'd lose a point every time you sped, and if your score was too low you'd end the sim.

Coxster

Established Member
BVE1 used to do that - you were 'scored' on certain aspects, so you'd lose a point every time you sped, and if your score was too low you'd end the sim.
Bit like the popular Japanese train driving arcade game "Densha de Go" then? I first downloaded BVE after v2 was released, having found it via CroTrainz, so never got to see the first one :(

Tom B

Established Member
Hmm - we had the one underground route at that time - my it seemed advanced!!

I still have the zip of the original Kennington - High Barnet *somewhere*.... .rw format!

eezypeazy

I liked Bridgend to Pencoed because I'd been playing Vern Moorhouse's Train Dispatcher 2 for the same area.... and that's how I got into BVE!

Anyway, I've started on my next project: ECML Northumberland for BVE 4. This route will start just west of MetroCentre, allowing the MetroCentre-Morpeth/Chathill service to be modelled, as well as main line runs between Newcastle and Berwick upon Tweed. >y first task has been to rebuild Newcastle central Station to allow trains to arrive at Platform 2. In this VERY EARLY screenshot, a 156 sits in Platform 9..... still much to do! NB: curved platforms (thanks, Dennis!).

ym3my3.jpg

Regards to all,

eezypeazy

class 313

Established Member
I liked Bridgend to Pencoed because I'd been playing Vern Moorhouse's Train Dispatcher 2 for the same area.... and that's how I got into BVE!

Anyway, I've started on my next project: ECML Northumberland for BVE 4. This route will start just west of MetroCentre, allowing the MetroCentre-Morpeth/Chathill service to be modelled, as well as main line runs between Newcastle and Berwick upon Tweed. >y first task has been to rebuild Newcastle central Station to allow trains to arrive at Platform 2. In this VERY EARLY screenshot, a 156 sits in Platform 9..... still much to do! NB: curved platforms (thanks, Dennis!).

ym3my3.jpg

Regards to all,

eezypeazy

Not too keen on that rail texture, although very nice station!

Coxster

Established Member
Very exciting news Eezypeazy! I look forward to speeding through Alnmouth - a station me and Dad found by accident when lost in the car near Alnwick :lol:

Dennis

Established Member
Nice to see smoothly curved platforms; I do think they are an improvement over the more usual straight edges.

Regarding track textures, these are probably the most difficult thing I've found to get right; the ones in the screenies looking quite 'flickery' when moving (although OK in the screenies). OOI, are there any track textures anyone likes? XCS are probably my favourites as they display nicely and are reaonably detailed.

Coxster

Established Member
I'd have to agree with you, Dennis. I'm hoping to use modified Cross-City textures for my route if I ever complete the scenery past Banstead. Got track and platforms laid most of the way to Blackfriars now :shock:

class 313

Established Member
I'd have to agree with you, Dennis. I'm hoping to use modified Cross-City textures for my route if I ever complete the scenery past Banstead. Got track and platforms laid most of the way to Blackfriars now :shock:

I wish there was a BVE4 319 :( Hellfire run into Blackfriars ;)

47 fan

when i save the file to my pictures it says 2.25mb
how do i make it smaller so i can upload it to this site?

T

Tom

It goes to the Clipboard... then you paste into Paint... :roll:

T

Tom

The clipboard is that thing behind paste, ie, go in paint once you've done print screen, and do Edit -> Paste, and as if by magic, it appears.

Status
Not open for further replies.