• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Season Excess to 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

adtrainz

Is it at all possible to excess a Standard Annual Season to 1st, for one journey only, i.e treating it as an Anytime Single?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
Is it at all possible to excess a Standard Annual Season to 1st, for one journey only

No. Ditto change of route and any other excess types.

That's incorrect. Prior to boarding the train, buy an excess fare.

The Manual -> Excess Fare Procedures -> Transfer to First Class accommodation

National Rail Conditions of Carriage, Condition 39, allows a customer holding a ticket for travel in Standard accommodation to travel in First Class, on payment of an Excess fare. General principles for Excess fares are: ...

Season Tickets
The difference between the price of the Standard and First Class Single ticket, available for immediate travel, for the journey being made.

If you seek to upgrade after boarding the train, some train companies charge a full First Class single fare as if no ticket was held. East Coast, however, allow you to buy an excess fare as above if you approach the guard immediately on boarding.

adtrainz

Thanks, I thought I had seen it being done before.

Although I have just one more question; do I just ask at the Ticket Office for an Excess to 1st, or is it more complicated than that?

Old Timer

Established Member
Thanks, I thought I had seen it being done before.

Although I have just one more question; do I just ask at the Ticket Office for an Excess to 1st, or is it more complicated than that?
You simply say you wish to excess the season ticket up to first class for a single journey.

You have to excess prior to starting the journey.

This can be done at the booking office preferrably, by a member of staff at the gate, or indeed it could be done by on train staff the day before.

thedbdiboy

Excess fare payable is the difference between the Std Anytime single and the 1st class equivalent - provided it is done before you board the train. Many companies will only sell a full 1st class ticket as if no ticket were held if you try and do it on the train though - that rule was introduced a good few years ago to try and clamp down on the practice of some to habitually occupy a 1st class seat and only pay the excess if challenged.

Status
Not open for further replies.