• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Season Ticket Refund

Status
Not open for further replies.

derby

Hi,

I bought a new annual season ticket last week but have just had news from work that I will be posted overseas for a couple of months.

My question is...

(a) Can I get a refund for the ticket?
(b) Is it guaranteed or discretionary?
(c) How would the pro-rata refund be calculated, if I have had it for 3 days, would it be the cost of 3x SORs?
(d) How would the refund be made, cheque in the post, back onto the card at the ticket office?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
(a) Yes.
(b) Guaranteed if you present the original.
(c) Depends on your circumstances, journey details, how long it would have been used when you submit for a refund, etc.
(d) Original payment method.

derby

Thanks - I don't have the receipt so I can't remember what card I bought it on, does that matter?

andrewkeith5

Thanks - I don't have the receipt so I can't remember what card I bought it on, does that matter?

Theoretically, they should be able to tell you which card you used to pay with -I don't think there's a requirement for it to be the same card, but if there is I'd expect (hope!) it wouldn't let you refund to the wrong one...

hairyhandedfool

Established Member

If it is possible to check the card statements you could look it up. I've never know for it to be a problem provided the card holder is the same, but then once the refund goes off to the accounts department for payment, ticket offices rarely hear anything more about them.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I think I should add that you can get a partial refund if (and only if) you present the associated photocard with the annual season ticket.

That, I'm afraid, is complete and utter nonsense. The Manual says: "When a customer returns their Season Ticket for a refund, they may retain their Photocard for future use."

With regard to the OP, banks often query a large refund payment to a card account if there has not been a corresponding outgoing payment. Money laundering rules would tend to demand that there are related transactions when the amounts concerned are substantial. Thus, the importance of having the original card details is directly related to the price of the season ticket and amount of refund due.

Squaddie

That, I'm afraid, is complete and utter nonsense. The Manual says: "When a customer returns their Season Ticket for a refund, they may retain their Photocard for future use."
That does not mean that John@Home is incorrect: it may still be necessary to present the photocard at the time a refund is requested, whether or not the passenger is allowed to keep it.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I would think it unusual to be presented with the season and not the photocard, but there are otherwise to confirm identity if need be.

Haywain

Veteran Member
It may be unusual to not be presented with the photocard, but it certainly isn't essential. For anything other than a 7-day season the refund will only go to the holder as listed on the TOC's season ticket database. Having handled a lot of season ticket refunds over the years, I have never had cause to ask to see a photocard and certainly would have no reason to refuse the refund because one was not presented. Therefore, I believe that what John@Home posted was nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.