• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Season tickets on Oyster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
If you're at Kings Cross already I would advice you to buy from the TfL visitor centre, if only because a zonal season ticket on Oyster can have PAYG credit added for use to places like Gatwick Airport, which an ITSO cannot.
The Key, GTRs ITSO can if youve got keygo set up and to many more destinations than Oyster.

[.n]

To be honest in reality all the stations that were open could have provided the ticket, obviously it would help if they knew what they were selling.
So in London, I believe you can "buy" if you don't have one an Oyster card from a TVM, but for other TOC Smartcards, I believe that for those you have to order them in advance and can't obtain one on the day from a Ticket Office or TVM - so its still not "simples"
...and of course in this case the OP (as already mentioned) was misinformed as the validity of smartcards.

Haywain

Veteran Member
So in London, I believe you can "buy" if you don't have one an Oyster card from a TVM, but for other TOC Smartcards, I believe that for those you have to order them in advance and can't obtain one on the day from a Ticket Office or TVM - so its still not "simples"
You cannot buy a period Travelcard from a TOC operated TVM if you do not have a smartcard, and in most cases TOC operated smartcards won't deal with Oyster either. However, some TOCs can provide smartcards on demand so that the Travelcard can be sold immediately, even to the unprepared. GTR even have machines that will issue a smartcard. For Oyster, most London underground stations will have machines that will issue you with an Oyster card.

miklcct

On Moderation
Fully agree with this, I just switched from c2c smartcard to Oyster for this exact reason
Is it possible to load an outboundary Travelcard season ticket into an Oyster card, for example, St Albans to London Zones 2-6, and add PAYG credit to it in order to pay for occasional travel into zone 1 (for example, on a non-stop train from St Albans to London St Pancras)?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Is it possible to load an outboundary Travelcard season ticket into an Oyster card, for example, St Albans to London Zones 2-6, and add PAYG credit to it in order to pay for occasional travel into zone 1 (for example, on a non-stop train from St Albans to London St Pancras)?
You can only do this if the origin station is in the Oyster PAYG area. For example Shenfield would be ok, or Hertford or Potters Bar but not St Albans or Brookmans Park.

miklcct

On Moderation
You can only do this if the origin station is in the Oyster PAYG area. For example Shenfield would be ok, or Hertford or Potters Bar but not St Albans or Brookmans Park.
In this example, if one travels between St Albans and Zone 2 frequently, requiring a season ticket, and into St Pancras occasionally, is using a paper ticket between Kentish Town and London Thameslink in combination with the season ticket the only way to do it on a non-stop train?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
In this example, if one travels between St Albans and Zone 2 frequently, requiring a season ticket, and into St Pancras occasionally, is using a paper ticket between Kentish Town and London Thameslink in combination with the season ticket the only way to do it on a non-stop train?
There is no requirement for the ticket from Kentish Town to London Thameslink to be in paper form - you could also hold that ticket on an ITSO smartcard or as an e-ticket.

miklcct

On Moderation
There is no requirement for the ticket from Kentish Town to London Thameslink to be in paper form - you could also hold that ticket on an ITSO smartcard or as an e-ticket.
In this case, if I hold the St Albans - London Zones 2-6 season ticket on a Thameslink smartcard and add KeyGo into it, can I use it on a non-stop train from St Albans to London St Pancras? If so how much will be charged?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
In this case, if I hold the St Albans - London Zones 2-6 season ticket on a Thameslink smartcard and add KeyGo into it, can I use it on a non-stop train from St Albans to London St Pancras? If so how much will be charged?
If you touch in at St Albans, yes. You should be charged the Oyster/contactless PAYG fare from Kentish Town to St Pancras. In that respect, KeyGo is the best of both worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.