• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Secrets Of The London Underground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianigsy

I would like to see more of the Jubilee Line trains stranded on the roof in Shoreditch and inside the 1972 Fleet/Jubilee Line test tunnel in New Cross.
If we're going down that route, there's the Jubilee Line tunnel under the Strand as well!

Add a few things like the Post Office railway and the oddities of the Overground and I'm sure there's plenty of material.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ashley Hill

Established Member
More closed stations please. Perhaps British Museum or Lords. Whilst the surface buildings and platforms have gone the passageways must still exist. A wander around those would be interesting.

timmydunn

There must be many abandoned bits which are not accessible.

Yes! So the new series of The Architecture The Railways Built addresses some locations - Covid has made the last two series trickier than we'd have liked. The Mersey tunnel, cabin etc has been on our Big List for a while and is very hard to get access to.

The Architecture The Railways Built is back from Monday 13th sept on Yesterday at 8pm - full listings to be announced next week. 36 locations in the UK and Europe and my word there are some absolute corkers. Mail Rail is one of them... ;)

On DVDs - sorry, I am unaware of any plans for some (that is beyond my world!), and I doubt it as they are a declining format. UKTVPlay is easy to access via any web browser tho.

Vespa

Established Member
I would like to see a similar series covering three of the four cities with an underground system, Liverpool, Newcastle and Glasgow, each of the systems have their unique features and history which is worth covering, the other regions should get a chance to shine not just London.

Paul Jones 88

I remember someone saying that new underground lines are often late in opening and over budget and it was due to secret government facilities being built down there, I wonder if there is any truth in that.

John Luxton

Established Member
The Architecture The Railways Built is back from Monday 13th sept on Yesterday at 8pm - full listings to be announced next week. 36 locations in the UK and Europe and my word there are some absolute corkers. Mail Rail is one of them... ;)
BRILLIANT! Looking forward to it.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
On DVDs - sorry, I am unaware of any plans for some (that is beyond my world!), and I doubt it as they are a declining format. UKTVPlay is easy to access via any web browser tho.
Thanks - that's a disappointment, but I do understand.

I've been meaning to sign up for UKTVPlay for a while, so it's something that I really need to do.

GREAT news on "Architecture". We loved "Secrets of the London Underground" in our house. "Siddy has the keys!' has become a bit of a catchphrase as we approach the front door... (She's brilliant, by the way.) I do hope another series can be made - it's clearly done in close conjunction with the London Transport Museum so presumably they would need to give the green light - so let's lobby them (nicely)!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes, another thumbs up on the secrets of the underground from my Dad.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
The thread on this series is locked so I'll post my comment here,please feel free to move.
Well done on the start of S3. The piece on Newcastle station itself was interesting but would have benefited from having a poke around inside. Talking of which that signal box pullboard that was found inside the water tower needs preserving.
Now a question,just in rear of the signal at Gateshead West was this sign
image.jpeg
What is it? Cheers.

Darandio

Established Member
The thread on this series is locked so I'll post my comment here,please feel free to move.
Well done on the start of S3. The piece on Newcastle station itself was interesting but would have benefited from having a poke around inside. Talking of which that signal box pullboard that was found inside the water tower needs preserving.
Now a question,just in rear of the signal at Gateshead West was this sign
View attachment 102583
What is it? Cheers.

Bridge identification. There is a road running under the old platforms.

timmydunn

Wish we could have shown you more of the stuff inside the station - but we had v limited time in the programme!
My lever-frame plate discovery has led to its recovery and is now on its way to a good home; more on that another time :)
Dunno if old threads can be unlocked - I don't know what the Admin rules are here

timmydunn

FYI I have started a new thread for Series 3 of The Architecture The Railways Built here as it's on for 10 weeks:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Dunno if old threads can be unlocked - I don't know what the Admin rules are here
You can. Easiest is just to report the thread you want to open. Old threads are locked periodically en masse to avoid them being brought back up accidentally.

Hoping not to sound like a crazy teenager - you are one of my all-time favourite TV presenters. Always looking forward to your new programmes. :D

londonbridge

Established Member
Just a heads up that series two of Secrets….starts tomorrow, 5th May, 8.00pm on Yesterday channel, repeated Fridays at 9.00pm. Ten episodes this time, episode one looks at the disused Jubilee line areas of Charing Cross, now commonly used as a filming location, and Siddy walks the Kennington loop whilst Tim looks at original plans for other loops elsewhere on the system.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Next week's episode (Thursday 12th May 2022) at 8 p.m. visits the Waterloo and City line and then the former Mark Lane station (closed 1967, was located on the Circle and District line, quite near to Tower Hill station).

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I enjoyed tonight’s episode. I can’t help wonder if any train has ever reached the absolute end of that Charing Cross overshoot line. It must be required by most buffer stop kissers.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I enjoyed tonight’s episode. I can’t help wonder if any train has ever reached the absolute end of that Charing Cross overshoot line. It must be required by most buffer stop kissers.
Got the impression from the programme that the trackwork extended some further way beyond the buffer stops (towards Aldwych) and hadn't ever been used.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Didn't presenter Siddy Holloway, or one of the TfL interviewees, mention that you could hire the location (disused Charing Cross platforms) for several thousand pounds, per hour? Best start saving! ;)

londonbridge

Established Member
Enjoyed that episode as well. I commented during series 1 that I found Siddys accent irritating, but somehow it was a lot more bearable this time.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Didn't presenter Siddy Holloway, or one of the TfL interviewees, mention that you could hire the location (disused Charing Cross platforms) for several thousand pounds, per hour? Best start saving! ;)
The TfL person said about £4k per hour I think, including a train. But I suspect the price for a single hour would be somewhat more, because of all the one-off costs such as getting the train in and out.

Paul Jones 88

Enjoyed that episode as well. I commented during series 1 that I found Siddys accent irritating, but somehow it was a lot more bearable this time.
I think that she sounds very clear and professional, it is nice to have a clear and audible voice on the television as opposed to the mumbling that seems so pervasive these days.

kevin_roche

I really enjoy listening to Siddy. She and her colleagues have kept me well entertained with their Hidden London Hangouts series on YouTube over the last two years when I have not been able to go to London or not felt safe going to London and travelling in a small tube.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Next week's episode (scheduled for Thursday 19th May 2022) takes a look at the former King William Street station, which closed over 120 years ago.

paulkidger

The Secrets of the London Underground is a brilliant series, opening the doors on many places the general public can never see. Last night's programme (12/05/22) dealt with the Waterloo & City. A good shot of the stub which once lead to the Armstrong lift. However a number of points I thought were missing. The 1940's stock had Southern Railway or Southern Region cut into the carriage 'over-door' ventilation grilles. Pity this was missed. Then at Bank station, on the 'walk through' it would have been interesting to show the Scissors crossing on the station approach as an alternative to the previously described reversing shunt at Waterloo.
Now for a question. In the programme they stated that the supply current is 750V DC being the SR standard and not the LU 630V (give or take a few). This surprised me. I thought that when the line was refurbished in the 1990's, a standard 4 rail LU system at 630V was installed. Does anyone know how the W&C 4 rail system is arranged? Does it follow LU practice of a totally isolated supply and splitting the voltage to perhaps give -250 V centre rail and + 500 V side rail. Or does it have a centre rail bonded to earth to give 0V and + 750V side rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.