• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Semaphore adjacent Eastleigh East Yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle

Established Member
Never noticed it before: there is a semaphore adjacent to what appears to be a single-barrier crossing on the south side of Eastleigh Yard at the station end. Is it functional or a training device?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
There is a similar thing at Purley between the branch an mainline. It is a short section of track with third rail, fourth rail and some signals used for training.

Tomnick

Established Member
I've got a photo of the shunt frame in Eastleigh East Yard, sadly in a book so I can't post it on here. It's a mechanical frame though, and (red) lever 21 doesn't seem to be cut short, suggesting that it's a mechanically worked semaphore (and it's got a traditional on/off repeater - suggests that it's a semaphore arm?). The pull-plate reads "21 - FROM GOODS SIDINGS OR ENGINEERS SIDINGS SHUNT" - does this tie in with its location?

Oracle

Established Member
Tomnick said:
The pull-plate reads "21 - FROM GOODS SIDINGS OR ENGINEERS SIDINGS SHUNT" - does this tie in with its location?

I am sure that this must be correct. In the very quick view I had from the train it appeared as though there was a level crossing for engineers or official vehicles and the signal related to it. Not sure if I can get a closer look at it from the overbridge. Will have a go!

Tomnick

Established Member
If it's controlled from the shunt frame, then it's probably also protecting a considerable amount of pointwork just beyond! I doubt it's interlocked with the crossing, but could still protect it, if you see what I mean. Don't really know the area though!

Bill EWS

Hi,
The ground signal you mention is the only one left that is operated from the yard ground frame, all the others up to the ground frame are manually operated by the shunters.

Cheers.

BillEWS.

Oracle

Established Member
I just passed the Eastleigh site. It appears as though the semaphore faces right to left, ie west to east and the colour signal right to left or east to west, with a theatre branch to the left at the top.

Oracle

Established Member
I am pretty certain now that the semaphore, the colour light with branch idicator and the level corssing half-barrier are in a seperated fenced compound. I am not sure that there is any track there. Perhaps training items? Can't be certain.

eastleigh1.jpg

eastleigh2.jpg

eastleigh4.jpg

Hentis

It is indeed a training compound. Its been there nearly 4 or 5 years now from what I remember. The only still officially working semaphore on the BML is on the Hammworth branch. :)

Cheers

Hentis

Oracle

Established Member
Plus the two double-semaphore brackets either end of Marchwood station loop, operated from I believe [confirmed] the signal cabin at the former Marchwood station. Someone may know if the exit from the MOD railway through the exchange sidings is signalled, and what method is used.

PS: I think I am wrong! I believe from the photos on this site that there is a third gantry south of the Marchwood loop ones! Duh! Any others or are they all colour lights?

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/stations/m/marchwood/index.shtml

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/stations/m/marchwood/marchwood10.jpg

Tomnick

Established Member
TheSlash said:
All controlled from Marchwood box, when the bobby isn't brewing up :!:
Nothing wrong with having a pot of tea on the go...and running a railway at the same time!

TheSlash

Established Member
Yeah but when you go in to get the token for a possession, you need to have at least 3 cups of tea before he lets you out again!!

Oracle

Established Member
Had a nice chat with the guy on crossing duty when we were going down to the Dump and by coincidence a 66 was going through...they had been bussed in from somewhere to 'lend a hand' to the signalling guy.

What goes on at Hythe School Road crossing hut? More tea brewing?

Bill EWS

Hi,
The MOD branch, outwards towards Marchwood is controlled by a single semiphore ground shunt signal, which actually has a distant 'yellow' semiphore ground signal just outside the main MOD gate. This signal, as with ALL the signals in this area are controlled by the Marchwood signalman. A working trap point protects the down Fawley line.

The line speed in and out of the MOD is at 10mph. But is 4 mph within the yard.

Trust this helps.

Cheers.

BillEWS

Oracle

Established Member
Cheers Bill! The last time I saw a semaphore shunt signal was at Harrow & Wealdstone in the Eighties!

Am I right in saying that there are just three gantries at Marchwood...any other signals are colour light? I can't remember seeing any signals at Hythe School Road manual crossing.

I went down to Marchwood and took these shots:
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9067

Brian EWS

Hello All

Just joined this forum as I see you need a bit of help.

You did indeed take my picture the other day at Marchwood with 66123 in the rain. I did not get wet in the signal box though!

Here are some pictures from today's 6V38 that I was let out 2 hours early!

Oh no there isn't, Do I have to put the pictures into a web site first to post them here?

Attachments

• Marchwood 014a.jpg
    Marchwood 014a.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 26

Brian EWS

Just sorted out how to add pictures, or at least a link to them. So here are a couple of more of the signals that you have been querying at Totton after I actualy went wrong road from Totton to Redbridge! First time for ages that anything has done this move judging by the rust on the crossover at Redbridge.

Attachments

• Marchwood 016a.jpg
    Marchwood 016a.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Marchwood 020a.jpg
    Marchwood 020a.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Marchwood 021a.jpg
    Marchwood 021a.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Marchwood 022a.jpg
    Marchwood 022a.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 28

Oracle

Established Member
Cheers Brian!

On reflection do you have them as hi-res please? I am considering, as I have had a PM about this, sticking them all on to a new site using my company hosting site. It seems that there is interest in infrastructure...and around the Solent area!

This is my closer view of the cross-over at Redbridge in 'normal' mode.

http://www.nostalgiaroad.co.uk/redbridgeh.jpg

Please let's hear more about you and colleagues' workings! So that's Fawley, Southampton Eastern and Western Docks, Hamworthy and Furzebrook...

By the way this is the Prize Pratt Driver of a car, HK03VAX who clearly cannot understand that the signalman operating the crossing has required him/her to stop as there was a rather large locomotive a few yards away waiting to cross. Name and Shamed. I am hoping that Nigel Harris from RAIL will take up the suggestion about covering Fawley and Marchwood as he implied he would.

http://www.nostalgiaroad.co.uk/marchwoodxi.jpg

Also this thread has two pix of several I took of engineering work at Redbridge Junction. Note the top-and-tailed 66s wrong line on the causeway.
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8727&highlight=redbridge

Brian EWS

Here are some pictures of the Down Road from Redbridge to Totton showing the sequence to get onto the branch and the semephors at Marchwood. Also got the "Distant" ground signal on the exit from the camp. This could be unique in Britain, anybody know different?

I see I can only have 5 attachments so a couple more to follow.

Attachments

• Marchwood 004b.jpg
    Marchwood 004b.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Marchwood 005b.jpg
    Marchwood 005b.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 21
  • Marchwood 006b.jpg
    Marchwood 006b.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Marchwood 007b.jpg
    Marchwood 007b.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 18
  • Marchwood 008b.jpg
    Marchwood 008b.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 19

Brian EWS

Here are the last 2 pictures.

These are the biggest files I can put on this site, large enough aren't they?

I won't be back down now for 16 weeks, next time round the link, so don't ask for more pictures down this route just yet. Off to Bescot from Didcot next week, in the dark though. Are you interested in other lines or just down this neck of the woods?

Attachments

• Marchwood 009b.jpg
    Marchwood 009b.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Marchwood 010b.jpg
    Marchwood 010b.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 20

Brian EWS

TheSlash said:
I recognise the 2 blokes in Marchwood 22a, any chance of a zoomed one for the messroom?

Is this better? I think if I go any bigger they will just get pixelated.

Attachments

• Marchwood 022c.jpg
    Marchwood 022c.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 18

Tomnick

Established Member
Brian EWS said:
Also got the "Distant" ground signal on the exit from the camp. This could be unique in Britain, anybody know different?
I certainly don't know of any other examples! Of course, there's plenty of yellow shunt discs with the 'standard' meaning as shown in the rulebook. Not seen any acting as a repeater though! Is the following signal (MW10?) a disc too?

GeoffM

Brian EWS said:
Also got the "Distant" ground signal on the exit from the camp. This could be unique in Britain, anybody know different?

I don't know of *disc* repeaters/distants, but *colour light* ground signal repeaters certainly exist - I can think of one at Temple Mills and one at Dagenham Dock, for starters.

Geoff M.

Brian EWS

Automotivehistorian said:
Brill...we're always interested in anything like that!

Here's a link to the Marchwood site..scroll around and see the extensive sidings, and the branch

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=50.888298&lon=-1.454435&z=18.6&r=0&src=2
Ain't modern technology wonderfull. I always wondered what was round the corner from the exchange sidings.

Only one of our drivers has been further than the exchange sidings when he took 47213 down to the docks for naming.

I could not get the out going disc in the same shot, that's why there's a distant for it!

Here is a shot of a big beast I had entering the camp past the distant.

Attachments

• 37408 Marchwood #4a.jpg
    37408 Marchwood #4a.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 23

Tomnick

Established Member
GeoffM said:
I don't know of *disc* repeaters/distants, but *colour light* ground signal repeaters certainly exist - I can think of one at Temple Mills and one at Dagenham Dock, for starters.

Geoff M.
Geoff,

That's interesting - never knew that they existed, let alone in a modern form. What do they look like?

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.