• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Serious electric power problems between Birmingham and Coventry (05/04)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSEFAN

Established Member
Class 66's said:
What about in places where units operate on both AC and DC supplies?
I would imagine axle counters are the modern solution, with track circuit based systems having to switch depending on what kind of traction is in use?

Thankfully we don't have very long dual electrification systems, they're only just long enough to permit traction changeover.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
DC track circuits in AC electrified areas, and vice versa.

This was the traditional answer, with oddities like 83.3333Hz in dual electrified areas as this is far enough from 50Hz not to be affected by it. However, simple AC track circuits of whatever frequency are also potentially susceptible to interference from traction inverter drives or other sources. Modern track circuits use a combination of frequencies to make it less likely they will be affected by interference, and tend to be useable with any electrification system.

gavin

From the New street twitter page

CfwUPqxXIAE0ZSY.jpg

From that photograph alone, it is a difficult conclusion that it is deliberate interference. The damage is consistent with a fault on the larger (3ph power?) cable, with a resulting flashover damaging it's neighbours.

QueensCurve

Established Member
From that photograph alone, it is a difficult conclusion that it is deliberate interference. The damage is consistent with a fault on the larger (3ph power?) cable, with a resulting flashover damaging it's neighbours.

That was my reaction too.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
NR followed up their initial tweets by saying that there were obvious signs of slashing to the cables that were not clear on the photos.

dgl

Established Member
What kind of a dimwhit slashes a 3phase (415v?) cable?

Dimwit? More like natural selection :) .

I suppose your typical dimwitted opportunistic thief won't be able to tell the difference between LV multicore signalling cable and thick high voltage/amperage 415V mains cable.

zuriblue

Dimwit? More like natural selection :) .

I suppose your typical dimwitted opportunistic thief won't be able to tell the difference between LV multicore signalling cable and thick high voltage/amperage 415V mains cable.

Could be worse. I was commissioning some kit on a cement plant and some tealeaf decided to steal some 11kV cable. He threw an axe from a safe distance to trip the breaker, the whole plant ended up shutting down.

The operator told me the last time someone tried it he tried to cut the (live 11kV) cable with a hacksaw. As you can imagine that didn't end well.:roll: (he did survive but spent a long time in hospital then a longer time as a guest of Her Majesty.

Elecman

Established Member
Signalling power supplies are 650v single phase.
(Other supplies are used, but power schemes generally use 650)

The modern standard is fully insulated 400 volt 3 phase supplies as the ORR are having reservations about un earthed 650 IT signalling supplies.

Marklund

The modern standard is fully insulated 400 volt 3 phase supplies as the ORR are having reservations about un earthed 650 IT signalling supplies.

Is it? Just shows how modern the stuff I have to fix is!
Bring back dry cells! :lol:

moggie

It might be but not there........or it wasn't last time I checked. 650v AC single phase. A bit further south on WCML it is indeed 3 phase.

Stampy

Signalling power supplies are 650v single phase.
(Other supplies are used, but power schemes generally use 650)

That might have been what was under the tarpaulin when I passed Chinley last year on the train back from Manchester to Nottingham - after being held up for 30 minutes near the Swizzles Matlow factory near New Mills due to trespassers on the line.

We were told the delay was also due to Chinley Signal Box losing all it's signals due to a power blackout...

However, once moving nearer to Chinley itself, we passed a signal cabin with a spade sticking out of it....
Near to it was a tarpaulin covering something - with a police car next to it and a "copper" taking photos...

Serves the bugger right.

notlob.divad

Established Member
The operator told me the last time someone tried it he tried to cut the (live 11kV) cable with a hacksaw. As you can imagine that didn't end well.:roll: (he did survive but spent a long time in hospital then a longer time as a guest of Her Majesty.

That happened at the entrance to one of our sites about 15-20 years ago. The guy who did it was apparently thrown through the door of the local boozer still smoldering buy his two mates, who then legged it in their van. I don't believe the guy survived, and I equally don't know if the other two where caught.

AndyPJG

Cable theft incident 29 March
BBC News item

Man arrested over Caldercote signalling cable theft
A man has been arrested after signalling cable was stolen causing major rail disruption in and around Birmingham.
Fifty-nine trains were cancelled when eight metres of cabling was stolen on 29 March near Caldecote.
It caused delays of more than 19 hours at Birmingham New Street station, said British Transport Police.
A 29-year-old man from Nuneaton arrested on suspicion of theft has been released on bail.
Det Insp Gareth Davies from BTP said: "Our investigation into this theft is ongoing and we are still interested in hearing from anyone with any information about what happened."

Status
Not open for further replies.