• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Service bus myths...

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltic1989

Established Member
Myth oh does it matter: If you have left your City Card at home the driver should let you on anyway for free, because you use that bus all the time and the driver should recognise you. Despite the fact that he sees probably hundreds of people every day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
You've never seen a tube station at rush hour, have you? :p

Thankfully only once, but I'm not aware of many people using tube stations to catch the bus. ;)

So that's other companies too? I always carry antibacterial spray (and use it every time I change over).

I did once try a morning wearing latex gloves but didn't really like it.

We seem to have quite a few drivers that wear gloves because of the steering wheels. I think the stuff off some of the wheels actually made me ill for a few days not long after I started, especially as I've not had the same thing since.
Some of the older buses are really bad - when you give them a wipe with some blue roll, it ends up almost black with dirt. It's the grease that comes off them that I find the most unpleasant, as it feels horrible and you can't get rid of it until you next get a chance to wash your hands with soap.

Last edited:

PG

Established Member
We seem to have quite a few drivers that wear gloves because of the steering wheels. I think the stuff off some of the wheels actually made me ill for a few days not long after I started, especially as I've not had the same thing since.
Some of the older buses are really bad - when you give them a wipe with some blue roll, it ends up almost black with dirt. It's the grease that comes off them that I find the most unpleasant, as it feels horrible and you can't get rid of it until you next get a chance to wash your hands with soap.

A case for getting F1 style interchangeable steering wheels... you heard it here first :p

Shrimper

A case for getting F1 style interchangeable steering wheels... you heard it here first :p

Would have been nice. I hated getting on a bus fresh out of the workshop as some engineers were less picky about using gloves so the steering wheel could be coated in all sorts of oils and greases. Horrible.

455driver

Veteran Member
Would have been nice. I hated getting on a bus fresh out of the workshop as some engineers were less picky about using gloves so the steering wheel could be coated in all sorts of oils and greases. Horrible.

Wipe your hand around the wheel, if it gets covered in cr4p go back to the office and say you want the cab cleaning and show the Inspector (or whatever buzzword they are called these days) the state of your hands.

Then go and spend 10 minutes cleaning your hands, the bus goes into service late and some lazy fitter gets a rollocking.

I had to do it a few times until the fitters were reminded of the requirement to ensure the cab is clean enough for service.

Incidentally it wasnt just me, there were about 50 of us doing it, the delays quickly stacked up and upper manglement were not happy and so 'had a chat' with the engineering supervisor and the problem magically disappeared overnight.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.