• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Service to reopened Camp Hill line stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corn

Does anyone know what the plans are for what services will call at the 3 rebuilt stations on the camp hill line once they reopen? Seeing as neither the chords down to moor street or electrification are happening that narrows it down to just the Hereford service, unless there are plans for a separate new service? If it is planned to divert the Hereford service I can't see that being popular with people who use it to commute to university!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Does anyone know what the plans are for what services will call at the 3 rebuilt stations on the camp hill line once they reopen? Seeing as neither the chords down to moor street or electrification are happening that narrows it down to just the Hereford service, unless there are plans for a separate new service? If it is planned to divert the Hereford service I can't see that being popular with people who use it to commute to university!
New St to Kings Norton shuttle.

Corn

Thanks, they will have to be very quick at changing ends at Kings Norton to not get in the way of the crosscity services, assuming the middle island platform isn't being reopened.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Thanks, they will have to be very quick at changing ends at Kings Norton to not get in the way of the crosscity services, assuming the middle island platform isn't being reopened.
That is why the Cross City has to stay at 4tph.

trentvalley

Why not run it as a circular using the unused cross city paths from new street to lifford jct.

Unfortunately no call at Kings Norton but opens up a lot more connectivity for the 3 new stations.

craigybagel

Established Member
Was the plan at one point to extend the Shrewsbury services across to Kings Norton?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Was the plan at one point to extend the Shrewsbury services across to Kings Norton?
Yes. I think the sausage machines suggested it wasn't too robust.

Why not run it as a circular using the unused cross city paths from new street to lifford jct.

Unfortunately no call at Kings Norton but opens up a lot more connectivity for the 3 new stations.
Lifford Curve is a ball ache to plan as the overlaps extend over both junctions. You have to have a gap to run right across.

Last edited:

geoffk

Established Member
I've just looked at the Cross-City timetable out of interest, as I used to live in Worcestershire, and see the service intervals are 10-20-10-20 or thereabouts. Have they just taken every third train out rather than reschedule to run every 15 minutes or is all down to what can be fitted in (the West Suburban line being the most critical I expect)?

train_lover

It was the plan but the Shrewsbury services will now run via the new Willenhall and Darlaston stations.
The plan was to abolish the 50 minute dwell time for the New Street Herefords and use the unit to go to Kings Norton and back in 50 minutes however I believe it didn't work so another plan was proposed to introduce a new Worcester fast service calling at the new stations and Bromsgrove only.

Kings Norton may get remodelled as part of a Midlands Rail Hub scheme which is in development, but nothing to do with HS2.
Kings Norton is getting remodeled with the cross city South calling at the middle platform. The Camp Hill services will terminate at what is currently P2

Last edited:

Corn

I think the plan/hope is that that will only be the case until 2030.

Surely these reduced frequencies make rail travel overall look less desirable? Over on the Snow Hill branches its 20-40 minute frequency gaps, although apparently they're looking to reintroduce those services towards the end of 2022, it suggests the Camp Hill line is the main reason why they aren't looking to do the same for the Cross City which I think feels a bit unfair. Just put the investment into Kings Norton!
WMR will end up with quite a few 3 car 730s sat spare if cross city stays as 4tph for that long!

The Planner

Veteran Member
It was the plan but the Shrewsbury services will now run via the new Willenhall and Darlaston stations.

The plan was to abolish the 50 minute dwell time for the New Street Herefords and use the unit to go to Kings Norton and back in 50 minutes however I believe it didn't work so another plan was proposed to introduce a new Worcester fast service calling at the new stations and Bromsgrove only.

Kings Norton is getting remodeled with the cross city South calling at the middle platform. The Camp Hill services will terminate at what is currently P2
Kings Norton isn't funded so it is far from certain. The only services I have heard of stopping at Willenhall and Darlaston are the Crewe via the Potts services.

newtownmgr

Yes. I think the sausage machines suggested it wasn't too robust.

Lifford Curve is a ball ache to plan as the overlaps extend over both junctions. You have to have a gap to run right across.
Not the case. Quite often see a Voyager waiting on the curve to follow us down the west suburban.

Sprinter107

It has got there and the route has timed out then so it is held, the overlaps extend over the junction.
Does it really ? That is interesting. I never knew that. There isn't a lot of room for error, so thinking about it, thats logical.

Status
Not open for further replies.