• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The Salen Hotel was built by Charles Rudd (1844 – 1916), the diamond millionaire and partner of Cecil Rhodes.

Charles Rudd studied at Harrow School.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cjp

The cross at Waltham Cross is an Eleanor Cross - and, as far as I know, does not have a song about it.

I wonder what they would say these days about an English monarch marrying a ten year old?

Last edited:

cjp

I had to Google GAA and I found that is such a club in Ballylongford which is only a couple of miles away from the town of Tarbert (County Kerry)

For the benefit of of others
GAA = Gaelic Athletic Association

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Simon de Montfort, 6th Earl of Leicester (c. 1208 – 1265) was a French-English nobleman who inherited the title and estates of the earldom of Leicester in England.

He led the rebellion against King Henry III of England during the Second Barons' War of 1263–64, and subsequently became de facto ruler of England. After a rule of just over a year, Montfort was killed by forces loyal to the King in the Battle of Evesham.

DerekC

Established Member
As everyone (anyway all my grandchildren) knows, Harry Potter's uncle and aunt's house was at Martins Heron (at least in the films). the house where Harry Potter was born is, of course, in Lavenham.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The village of Wye had a racecourse between May 1849 and June 1975, when it was closed.
Another place which also had a racecourse (between at least 1759 and 1935) was Chelmsford in Essex.