• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Severe weather Saturday 7th October, some ScotRail services suspended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
Just come through Kings Cross, and there appears to be nothing going north of Newcastle. Lovely sunny warm day in London, but looking at the rain radar I think the caution may appropriate.

13:30 is the next direct Edinburgh via the Tyne Valley.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Just come through Kings Cross, and there appears to be nothing going north of Newcastle.
Engineering works for East Coast rail journeys today between Newcastle and Edinburgh (via Morpeth/Berwick) been planned for weeks, I believe.

People need to realise that Network Rail have employed weather forecasting experts together with improved forecasting tools since Carmont and they are in Integrated Control at WSSC. They have much better data than anyone sitting at home typing onto this website.

realemil

Not railway, but a little south from Glasgow at Rutherglen, you can see the flooding taking place: https://reddit.com/r/glasgow/s/IsyH20sMnL

I’m currently in a bus going into the city centre and since waking up (7ish) it has been pouring and I don’t think I’ve ever seen rain this bad. It’s been a very constant heavy pouring of rain.

The right decision was made by networkrail to shut the lines.

aaronspence

It's basically just light rain here in Fife but even the Edinburgh to Dundee services are mostly cancelled. Very strange decision.

I can only assume it's worse at the Edinburgh end of the line then.

InOban

Established Member
Sounds dreadful. Presume the alternative routes out of Oban (the A816/A83 to Lochgilphead/Inveraray and the A828 to Ballachulish/Fort Bill) are also "no go" today?
There's a landslip just after Inverary, before the Rest and Be Thankful and theres flooding at Barcaldine.

Taunton

Established Member
Not railway, but a little south from Glasgow at Rutherglen, you can see the flooding taking place: https://reddit.com/r/glasgow/s/IsyH20sMnL

The right decision was made by networkrail to shut the lines.
If you read down a bit from that link you find in the comments:

"I've complained about this specific bit several times to councillors, MSPs and MPs as there is regular flooding on the right of this video ...".

Strangely when I was living in Glasgow in the 1970s exactly the same road was subjected to flooding then, one of the guys in the office lived nearby. Looks like nothing done since.

Buzby

There's a landslip just after Inverary, before the Rest and Be Thankful and theres flooding at Barcaldine.
Not surprise, I came that way last night and the main RBT road was shut but the old road took the strain with a pilot vehicle - added about an hour to the journey.

snookertam

I have to hold my hands up and withdraw my earlier criticism of the decision to close certain routes. The conditions in the West of Scotland today are awful. Never seen flooding like it. NR clearly knew what was coming and fair play to them for making the call relatively early, instead of attempting to run and ending up with people stranded.

NoOldEngine

It seems that a severe weather warning has prompted Network Rail to suspend all services north of Perth on the HML tomorrow, and the northbound sleeper 1S25 has been cancelled out of Euston as a result. WHL services also suspended. That will be Flying Scotsman's trip to Edinburgh scuppered, also the Midland Pullman HST to Fort William.

Must be a hell of a storm coming in.

1S25 Cali Sleeper did run, but it went via Dundee and Aberdeen to Inverness. Arrived at 12pm some 1 hour later than expected. Had 66740 and 73968 attached at Edinburgh replacing 92023.

On Moderation
1S25 Cali Sleeper did run, but it went via Dundee and Aberdeen to Inverness. Arrived at 12pm some 1 hour later than expected. Had 66740 and 73968 attached at Edinburgh replacing 92023.
Interesting that it is the service hauled and crewed by a company that is a full commercial operation that is the one that runs. Whereas the public sector supported TOCs give up at the earliest opportunity - no commercial imperative to operate as they will get refunded by Government regardless.

delt1c

Established Member
You have to live in Scotland to appreciate the level of this rain. The Ground is waterlogged with no where for the water to go , so Network Rail did the correct thing. I have just gone out to my garage and water is seeping through the floor something that has never happened before.

The Puddock

It's basically just light rain here in Fife but even the Edinburgh to Dundee services are mostly cancelled. Very strange decision.
The service has been reduced because of the impact of the blanket 40mph speed restriction on the timetable. The service didn't have sufficient turnaround time at either end so without reducing the frequency they would just keep getting significantly later and later all day.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Anyone know which routes are blanket 40 ESR?

I caught the train south from Dumfries this morning and it definitely wasn’t!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Regardless of the atrocious weather in Scotland, I think that Avanti's decision not to run anything North of Preston needs to be reviewed.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Regardless of the atrocious weather in Scotland, I think that Avanti's decision not to run anything North of Preston needs to be reviewed.
It’s a worryingly regular decision they make.

I understand the operational difficulties, but they need a contingency plan to stop the northern half of their route grinding to a halt every couple of weeks.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

I understand the operational difficulties, but they need a contingency plan to stop the northern half of their route grinding to a halt every couple of weeks.

Indeed. A previous poster mentioned saturated ground between Preston and Lancaster as a contributing factor. That shouldn't really be enough to stop the show where severe rain isn't expected.

Better for the trains to run at caution through the affected area if need be.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member

Drop a line to Rishi and Co, they’ll add ‘reopening Preston to Carlisle’ to the Network North programme…

Morayshire

Anyone know which routes are blanket 40 ESR?

I caught the train south from Dumfries this morning and it definitely wasn’t!
Aberdeen - Dundee certainly was running under a speed restriction this morning. Lots of time to look out at flooded fields. Least the catering trollrey was on board and in use

trei2k

It looks like the pumps at Dalmuir are overwhelmed:

Here’s the state of play at Dalmuir Twin Tunnels. As you can see, the water level is massive – it’s up to around the window level on a train. The fixed pumps here have been completely overwhelmed by the extreme rainfall. It'll take time for this to clear once the rain stops.

Attachments

• F71rADGXAAAmMdd.jpeg
    F71rADGXAAAmMdd.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 146

Veteran Member
Agreed. It is one of the issues of having no Avanti traincrew based at Carlisle (do TPE?)

And they have, with a 2-hourly GLC-PRE shuttle, and no speed restrictions south of Beattock it seems. Plus a fair number of TPEs.

But Northern Lancs/Cumbria/the Yorkshire Pennines have had plenty of heavy rain and floods in the last couple of days, even if we haven't really noticed it further East, so I can understand caution.

InkyScrolls

But Northern Lancs/Cumbria/the Yorkshire Pennines have had plenty of heavy rain and floods in the last couple of days, even if we haven't really noticed it further East, so I can understand caution.
We certainly have. Not on the scale as Scotland is currently receiving but enough for significant localised flooding (though not of railway lines that I'm aware of).

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Agreed. It is one of the issues of having no Avanti traincrew based at Carlisle (do TPE?)

And they have, with a 2-hourly GLC-PRE shuttle, and no speed restrictions south of Beattock it seems. Plus a fair number of TPEs.

Are they running a shuttle ? If so that's good. Did see one go by at Lancaster just now, but the departure board seemed to be full of cancellations.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
TPE do not have a crew based at Carlisle but they do normally change crew at Carlisle, making it operationally much easier for them to operate there if something happens further north.

Status
Not open for further replies.