• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Severn Beach line turbos off to a good start - not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 33

Established Member
Well, things still haven't really improved much. And this is now the fourth week since the Turbo's were introduced on this line. Still a number of occurrences of services being delayed by about 10 minutes, 17 minutes, etc, and a number of cancellations. More so during the peak mornings and early evenings periods. During the late mornings and afternoons after about 7pm-ish, it tends to be running more smoothly.

As much as I really like the Turbo's, with their much nicer more comfortable seating compared to the old 150's that were previously on these services. All these services now frequently being delayed and cancelled, is just not good enough. It's getting beyond a joke now. And if they can't do anything to solve these problems, then maybe they might have to put the 150's back on these services again!

Also, I note the bad service of this line lately has made the top story of the ITV News Westcountry lunchtime bulletin today. A lot of passengers are not happy atall! But with that bulletin only being a few minutes in duration, the report on it was only about 30 seconds long. Expect a possibly longer extended report about it on the 6pm edition tonight. Here's a report about it on their website http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry...passenger-service-is-worst-weve-ever-seen-it/

Might get a mention on BBC Points West too.

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Are the 150s that were previously used now spoken for elsewhere?

Three are due to go Northern in September after the end of the Summer service. Until then, they are just being absorbed into the GWR fleet and reducing the number of short formed trains.

Class 33

Established Member
The report on tonight's ITV News Westcountry about this was 4 minutes in duration. Including bizzarely short footage of a Class 121 Bubble Car on the line! When were these last used on this line?!

BestWestern

Established Member
Only the 150/1s, the /2 fleet are remaining are they not? And I presume 001 & 002 are also staying put? 150s have been putting in appearances back on the Beach lately.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Only the 150/1s, the /2 fleet are remaining are they not? And I presume 001 & 002 are also staying put? 150s have been putting in appearances back on the Beach lately.
Just 3 150/1s in September and the remainder following gradually as more Turbos become available. I was under the impression that 150001 and 002 were staying but Northern members of the Forum seem to be expecting them up there.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator

As far as has been made public the two prototype units are bound for Northern too.

D1009

Established Member
Is it not the case that keeping the 3 units on the branch to do almost the whole service has tightened up the diagrams to the point that they are unworkable at times of heavy demand?

Kieran1990

When is it planned for the turbos to spread their wings in the south-west/ Bristol so that they are not confined to the Severn Beech Branch?
I assume that once this happens the diagrams will become interchangeable on and off the branch in theory leading to better service/ time-keeping.

Parallel

Established Member
The last two times I've used the line, 150s have stood in on one diagram due to broken down trains and various faults. There are some very very tight turn around times which doesn't help.

I was at Bristol Temple Meads a few days ago and there was one train that was meant to have a 10-15 minute turn around at Bristol - which should be plenty of time, except it came in about 25 minutes late and went back out 20 late cancelling all stops until Clifton Down, when it had to wait anyway for a delayed Turbo from Avonmouth, and it was then terminated early at Avonmouth meaning it'd be a FOUR HOUR gap between trains at Severn Beach, and about 1.5 hour gaps between trains at Montpelier and Redland, as well as passengers stranded at Lawrence Hill and Stapleton Road with probably no information.

Unless there's mass disruption, JourneyCheck usually just says "Passengers to use the next available service"... not helpful.

Can GWR move the 166s to another route temporarily? The Severn Beach Line is dying at the moment, and GWR could really do without the negative press considering they've spent all that money on a rebrand...

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The last two times I've used the line, 150s have stood in on one diagram due to broken down trains and various faults. There are some very very tight turn around times which doesn't help.

I was at Bristol Temple Meads a few days ago and there was one train that was meant to have a 10-15 minute turn around at Bristol - which should be plenty of time, except it came in about 25 minutes late and went back out 20 late cancelling all stops until Clifton Down, when it had to wait anyway for a delayed Turbo from Avonmouth, and it was then terminated early at Avonmouth meaning it'd be a FOUR HOUR gap between trains at Severn Beach, and about 1.5 hour gaps between trains at Montpelier and Redland, as well as passengers stranded at Lawrence Hill and Stapleton Road with probably no information.

Unless there's mass disruption, JourneyCheck usually just says "Passengers to use the next available service"... not helpful.

Can GWR move the 166s to another route temporarily? The Severn Beach Line is dying at the moment, and GWR could really do without the negative press considering they've spent all that money on a rebrand...

There are clearance issues still to be resolved and depots Traction knowledge.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
GWR should look at keeping 150001 and 002 along with two hybrids so they've got a hot spare for the Severn Beach Line. I'm planning on going on this but with the ongoing problems I might just go as far as CFN and then bus it back.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Over the last few days, I've seen 166204, 166210, 166212, 166214, and 150129 working the Bristol TM - Avonmouth/Severn Beach route.

Monday 14 August was the first time I have seen 166208 out. I have not seen 166205 at all, either at Bristol TM or Exeter. Has that gone back to Reading or is that sitting at St Phillips Marsh?

Parallel

Established Member
GWR should look at keeping 150001 and 002 along with two hybrids so they've got a hot spare for the Severn Beach Line. I'm planning on going on this but with the ongoing problems I might just go as far as CFN and then bus it back.

150002 is just as bad as the Turbos, if not worse. Managed to disgrace itself at Bath one day last week in the evening peak with brake problems.

sd0733

Established Member
Had a trip on the branch last night just to montpelier and back both trains, 166208 and 166214 were spot on time.
Maybe I was lucky but hopefully a corner has been turned. When I went last time the outward train was cancelled so I ended up just waiting to pick up the return working which was late itself and had been turned at Clifton Down so it looks more promising for the line, showing the Turbos can work to time

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
150002 is just as bad as the Turbos, if not worse. Managed to disgrace itself at Bath one day last week in the evening peak with brake problems.

Correct, I was one of the many unfortunates who were turfed back off it again after several attempts to get brake release / door interlock / whatever the **** was wrong with it.

Unfortunately everything behind it was severely disrupted due to the Stapleton Road incident and therefore a further 40 mins elapsed before anything else turned up (bar the Bristol-Padd.) Things got a bit cosy when something finally appeared!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I have just one problem with the Turbos doing the Severn Beach Line.

No it's not the delays. No it's not the cancellations.

It's the fact that they've got the refurbished 166! :cry: As a regular first class traveller with GWR in Guildford and Thames Valley area I want those lovely leather seats back on the turbos! :cry:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Had a trip on the branch last night just to montpelier and back both trains, 166208 and 166214 were spot on time.
Maybe I was lucky but hopefully a corner has been turned. When I went last time the outward train was cancelled so I ended up just waiting to pick up the return working which was late itself and had been turned at Clifton Down so it looks more promising for the line, showing the Turbos can work to time

Sounds as though the teething troubles are now sorting themselves out.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I have just one problem with the Turbos doing the Severn Beach Line.

No it's not the delays. No it's not the cancellations.

It's the fact that they've got the refurbished 166! :cry: As a regular first class traveller with GWR in Guildford and Thames Valley area I want those lovely leather seats back on the turbos! :cry:

You're clearly wasting your money on first, just go to the other end of a 166, then you can use a STD ticket.

As a regular traveller in the Thames valley, my issue with the Severn Beach 166s, is the issues of maintenance of the remaining Reading turbos.
They are clearly being worked harder than before, with a load of 2 vice 3 short formations yesterday. A 165 yesterday had a fault which caused it to lose 15 minutes between Reading and Bedwyn.

Last edited:

FGW_DID

Established Member
As a regular traveller in the Thames valley, my issue with the Severn Beach 166s, is the issues of maintenance of the remaining Reading turbos.
They are clearly being worked harder than before, with a load of 2 vice 3 short formations yesterday. A 165 yesterday had a fault which caused it to lose 15 minutes between Reading and Bedwyn.

They aren't being worked harder, there are less 166 diagrams, courtesy of the 387s, hence why those turbos could be released to the West.

I don't know why there were a lot of shortforms yesterday as I'm on leave at the moment so haven't really been paying much attention to any emails.

cactustwirly

Established Member
They aren't being worked harder, there are less 166 diagrams, courtesy of the 387s, hence why those turbos could be released to the West.

I don't know why there were a lot of shortforms yesterday as I'm on leave at the moment so haven't really been paying much attention to any emails.

It's just from my own observations that this sort of thing has become more common since July, there are also a load of 165s working booked 166 diagrams such as Bedwyns and Gatwick Airports etc.

DaveHarries

Established Member
I had a Twitter conversation with GWR this morning. It it planned that more of the Class 166 units will at lease be introduced to other routes on the following schedule:

10/2017: Bristol Parkway - Weston-super-Mare
11/2017: Cardiff Central to Taunton
01/2018: Bristol to Weymouth, Southampton & Great Malvern (plus Gloucester?)

In addition I had it from that Twitter conversation that services between Cardiff Central, Bristol and the South Coast will be 5 carriage trains.

Meanwhile I have just seen this link which seems to confirm that schedule:
https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/publications/iep-gwr-class-165/iep-gwr-class-165.pdf

Although this is subject to more electric services coming into play in Berkshire a lot of Reading to London Paddington diagrams after Christmas are being pathed as EMU (electric) trains, not DMU (diesel) trains.

Dave

Last edited:

cactustwirly

Established Member
I had a Twitter conversation with GWR this morning. It it planned that more of the Class 166 units will at lease be introduced to other routes on the following schedule:

10/2017: Bristol Parkway - Weston-super-Mare
11/2017: Cardiff Central to Taunton
01/2018: Bristol to Weymouth, Southampton & Great Malvern (plus Gloucester?)

In addition I had it from that Twitter conversation that services between Cardiff Central, Bristol and the South Coast will be 5 carriage trains.

Meanwhile I have just seen this link which seems to confirm that schedule:
https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/publications/iep-gwr-class-165/iep-gwr-class-165.pdf

Although this is subject to more electric services coming into play in Berkshire a lot of Reading to London Paddington diagrams after Christmas are being pathed as EMU (electric) trains, not DMU (diesel) trains.

Dave

I think those dates are quite ambitious since there are no planned turbo cascades, until the 387s are introduced beyond Maidenhead in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.