• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Severn valley railway news and updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It certainly sounds like I'll be better off enjoying the forecasted good weather! I'm not a fan of putting up with drunks on regular trains, paying good money to do so on a heritage line? No thanks.

ABB125

Established Member
It certainly sounds like I'll be better off enjoying the forecasted good weather! I'm not a fan of putting up with drunks on regular trains, paying good money to do so on a heritage line? No thanks.
Don't appear to be any drunks thus far (but it's not even 0900 yet, so I'd be disappointed if there were!). There is quite an overpowering smell of fatty bacon though. I'm not a fan...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Don't appear to be any drunks thus far (but it's not even 0900 yet, so I'd be disappointed if there were!). There is quite an overpowering smell of fatty cheap bacon though. I'm not a fan...

I don't envy you there whatsoever, and I made a small correction to your post above ;)

Hopefully the rest of your experience gets better! The sun is out here so I'm about to put the phone down and prepare for an exciting day of sun-soaking before work :D No stenches of cooked pigs here :lol:

ABB125

Established Member
In an excellent piece of coordination worthy of the mainline, 60062 departed Kidderminster just as D1062 arrived with a large number of people intending to catch 60062.
Lots of not very happy people as a result. This was the second of only two runs with 60062 (the other being yesterday).

JonathanH

Veteran Member
In an excellent piece of coordination worthy of the mainline, 60062 departed Kidderminster just as D1062 arrived with a large number of people intending to catch 60062.
Always a risk, given the track layout, which allows trains to leave Kidderminster before the arrival is in the other platform. Even worse when they cross in the loop outside Kidderminster Station.

kje7812

I'm attending on Sunday and I must say I'm a little apprehensive. I've seen some pictures of 'em on social media that make it look like a stag do.

From what I can tell, lurking at the back seems a good idea.

Hopefully will have mellowed out a bit by Sunday.
The pre book numbers for Sunday a fair bit less than Friday and Saturday.

ABB125

Established Member
Always a risk, given the track layout, which allows trains to leave Kidderminster before the arrival is in the other platform. Even worse when they cross in the loop outside Kidderminster Station.
I know that, but you would've thought they'd make a special effort for the only working of 60062 of the day (especially as it doesn't even do anything in the other direction, so if you miss it you can't replan to catch it later).
The following departure of D1015 was held for the HST connection, despite the latter being twice as late as D1062's arrival.

D6130

Established Member
Lots of not very happy people as a result. This was the second of only two runs with 60062 (the other being yesterday).
Perhaps it was a deliberate ruse to foil the "Top Men"? ;)

ABB125

Established Member
Perhaps it was a deliberate ruse to foil the "Top Men"? ;)
Possibly? Although do you get "class 60 top men"? I though that they are mainly interested in things like peaks, class 40s, class 50s etc (obviously not all at once though! At least, not publicly...) rather than more modern stuff

Interestingly, I overheard a member of platform staff (who was suffering a barrage of verbal abuse) saying he wasn't sure why it went, and had been expecting it to be held

D6130

Established Member
Interestingly, I overheard a member of platform staff (who was suffering a barrage of verbal abuse) saying he wasn't sure why it went, and had been expecting it to be held
It's bad enough professional railway staff having to suffer verbal abuse, without volunteers - who are not paid to do so - having to put up with it as well. However, presumably, the guard must receive the platform staff before starting the train.

G-CVIX

The pre book numbers for Sunday a fair bit less than Friday and Saturday.
Thank you!

I'm just a little anxious in crowds, not wishing to ruin anyone's good time.

I'm very much looking forward to it, just wish I had two days to spend there.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The following departure of D1015 was held for the HST connection, despite the latter being twice as late as D1062's arrival.
What is the current delay level for the day?

Answering my own question, from Railcam, it looks like the 1200 HST has just departed Kidderminster 22 minutes late and 50035 about the same south from Highley.

Last edited:

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Reason given that the 60 was full and they couldn't let anymore board.

ABB125

Established Member
It's bad enough professional railway staff having to suffer verbal abuse, without volunteers - who are not paid to do so - having to put up with it as well. However, presumably, the guard must receive the platform staff before starting the train.
I wasn't particularly impressed with the two people (top men?) who were berating him. Personally, I'd have just asked politely.
What is the current delay level for the day?

Answering my own question, from Railcam, it looks like the 1200 HST has just departed Kidderminster 22 minutes late and 50035 about the same south from Highley.
HST has just departed Bewdley 26 late
Reason given that the 60 was full and they couldn't let anymore board.
Didn't look too full to me, but I was paying more attention to the fact that it was moving than how many people were on board! :D

The_Van

What a crying shame that such a superb event and volunteers have to deal with a #thick.hit presence. Pity there's no way of removing said individuals

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Looks to me from viewing Railcam streams that the timetable has reached an hour late with 57307 northbound crossing the GWR HST southbound at Bewdley at 1815 and 33108 on its train at Bridgnorth.

SteveM70

Established Member
That sounds about right. The 1730 from Kiddy is still at the platform (so 54 late and counting)

ABB125

Established Member
Looks to me from viewing Railcam streams that the timetable has reached an hour late with 57307 northbound crossing the GWR HST southbound at Bewdley at 1815 and 33108 on its train at Bridgnorth.
About right. 33108 has just left Hampton Loade 55late, whilst D821 was about 1hr late leaving Arley
Interestingly, it's been less a case of gradually getting late, and more of 10 minutes or so suddenly being added to the lateness

On Moderation
About right. 33108 has just left Hampton Loade 55late, whilst D821 was about 1hr late leaving Arley
Interestingly, it's been less a case of gradually getting late, and more of 10 minutes or so suddenly being added to the lateness
The failure of 20048 at Bridgnorth before departure on the 1630 necessitating its removal from the train didn’t help.

SteveM70

Established Member
I was at the SVR today, though I didn't travel as I can get attacks of claustrophobia and the crowds put me right off. I just hadn't considered that it would be as popular as it was. But via a combination of car and walking I visited all the stations at various points in the day, and saw most of the traction in use. A few thoughts and observations:

1 - the timetable clearly wasn't resilient enough. I think part of the problem was only allowing 3 minutes at Hampton Loade and 2 minutes at Bewdley for the trains from Bridgnorth, and (rightly) the station staff allowing everyone who wanted to change trains to do so. But people seemed to take it in good spirit as far as I could tell

2 - it seemed that the drivers were all giving it plenty of welly setting off from stations, which was lovely to hear. I think more widely there's a tendency for preserved lines not to do this, given the low maximum speed and the cost of fuel I guess. Is the SVR normally like this? I suppose 7 carriage trains mean there's more to get moving

3 - there were a lot of teenagers there, and the ones I overheard seemed very knowledgeable which was great and perhaps should give us confidence for the future

4 - there are a lot of very serious cameras out there!

5 - I found it strange that the HST was as popular as it was. Not so much because they're still in service, but because I can remember them being introduced. Everything else was already in service (or already withdrawn) when I first got involved in the late 1970s. And that induced a bit of melancholy in me, the usual stuff about the passage of time and growing old. It seemed a long, long way from an HST being booed at Kings Cross on the last day of the Deltics

6 - yes, there were people dressed differently to how I dress. So what? It doesn't make them weirdos in the slightest. Good luck to them for being brave and being themselves

7 - I noticed that 50035 has had its headlight removed so together with being in BR blue it looks more like it did pre-refurbishment (though obviously not totally). Which set me thinking - would it be possible to go a step further and make it sound like it did before refurbishment?

ABB125

Established Member
1- the timetable clearly wasn't resilient enough. I think part of the problem was only allowing 3 minutes at Hampton Loade and 2 minutes at Bewdley for the trains from Bridgnorth, and (rightly) the station staff allowing everyone who wanted to change trains to do so. But people seemed to take it in good spirit as far as I could tell
I don't think I've ever been to an SVR gala where the timetable has been resilient enough! :D To be fair, I might just be unlucky, but there definitely appears to be a reputation for late running
After a peak lateness of 72 minutes about an hour ago, we're currently down to about 60L, and that should improve as the evening progresses due to the thinner timetable.
Edit whilst writing: now 45 late on 57307 departing Bewdley. Could potentially make up another 15 by Hampton Loade, depending on what's coming the other way.
3 - there were a lot of teenagers there, and the ones I overheard seemed very knowledgeable which was great and perhaps should give us confidence for the future
Very good to see, especially as there were a number of families with young children (under 10). Always good to start young! :D
I saw possibly the tallest photography pole in existence at Bewdley. It was probably 3m above track level. Except this was on the viaduct just north the station. So the base was at road level below the viaduct, many many meters below!

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
I was at the SVR today, though I didn't travel as I can get attacks of claustrophobia and the crowds put me right off. I just hadn't considered that it would be as popular as it was. But via a combination of car and walking I visited all the stations at various points in the day, and saw most of the traction in use. A few thoughts and observations:

1 - the timetable clearly wasn't resilient enough. I think part of the problem was only allowing 3 minutes at Hampton Loade and 2 minutes at Bewdley for the trains from Bridgnorth, and (rightly) the station staff allowing everyone who wanted to change trains to do so. But people seemed to take it in good spirit as far as I could tell

2 - it seemed that the drivers were all giving it plenty of welly setting off from stations, which was lovely to hear. I think more widely there's a tendency for preserved lines not to do this, given the low maximum speed and the cost of fuel I guess. Is the SVR normally like this? I suppose 7 carriage trains mean there's more to get moving

5 - I found it strange that the HST was as popular as it was. Not so much because they're still in service, but because I can remember them being introduced. Everything else was already in service (or already withdrawn) when I first got involved in the late 1970s. And that induced a bit of melancholy in me, the usual stuff about the passage of time and growing old. It seemed a long, long way from an HST being booed at Kings Cross on the last day of the Deltics

6 - yes, there were people dressed differently to how I dress. So what? It doesn't make them weirdos in the slightest. Good luck to them for being brave and being themselves

7 - I noticed that 50035 has had its headlight removed so together with being in BR blue it looks more like it did pre-refurbishment (though obviously not totally). Which set me thinking - would it be possible to go a step further and make it sound like it did before refurbishment?
RE no.3, I wouldn't call all of the teenagers mature and knowledgeable, half of them were screaming out of the windows half the time making for an unpleasant experience at one point.

Dai Corner

Established Member
RE no.3, I wouldn't call all of the teenagers mature and knowledgeable, half of them were screaming out of the windows half the time making for an unpleasant experience at one point.
Just like the now middle aged bashers (and casketeers*) did 30 or 40 years ago?

* Real Ale officianados. There seems to be a certainty amount of overlap.

ABB125

Established Member
Yes, that is a point. Right now, I can see a rather noisy group of teenagers who definitely aren't old enough to buy alcohol downing several cans of cider.
But to be honest, they seem to be in the minority; in fact, I'm impressed at how little drunken behaviour there's been today!

xotGD

Established Member
Being bowled out after missing a tight connection is all part of the game.

Anyone desperate to get the Tug* should have organised their moves differently.

If the train was already wedged out to capacity then letting it go would be the right thing to do. Mind, only giving the loco a single turn will have contributed to the popularity of this service.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Being bowled out after missing a tight connection is all part of the game.
Perhaps there should be less expectation of interchange at Kidderminster.

While three minutes generally seems enough time for passengers to change trains who want to, it does prevent service recovery, given the 12 minute running time to Bewdley - eg a three minute late arrival leads to a three minute late departure, and this builds up through the day.

I think part of the problem was only allowing 3 minutes at Hampton Loade and 2 minutes at Bewdley for the trains from Bridgnorth, and (rightly) the station staff allowing everyone who wanted to change trains to do so.
The odd thing about Hampton Loade in that context is that, when the shuttle isn't running, departure from Bridgnorth could be slightly earlier, to give more time to change over.

Last edited:

Kaput

Interesting gala (was there on the Saturday) but the timetable seemed to last roughly 2 departures from Kidderminster before falling apart and getting more and more delayed as the day went on.
Think they really got too many locos and guests in for a single track railway.

Also, anyone any clue why the DBSO never actually lead a train? Seems a bit odd that its allowed out on the mainline at line speed but couldn't run on a heritage line at 25mph without a loco in front of it.

ABB125

Established Member
Also, anyone any clue why the DBSO never actually lead a train? Seems a bit odd that its allowed out on the mainline at line speed but couldn't run on a heritage line at 25mph without a loco in front of it.
I'm guessing that it's less "can't run with the DBSO" and more "it's the only rake which the mainline locomotives can haul". I don't think class 56s or class 60s can supply ETS, therefore 47712 needs to be permanently connected to keep the lights working etc. So the only place you can put the guests is on the DBSO end. Top n tail also gives more operational flexibility, especially with reversing at Highley.

With the caveat that I have no involvement with the SVR, so may be completely wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.