• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shack Attack 2019- Revenge of Shippea Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT 390

Established Member
Saturday 31st August

Hartford
Winsford
Cressington
Aigburth
Acton Bridge
St Michaels
Brunswick
Hunts Cross
Halewood
Hough Green
Sankey
Levenshulme
Heaton Chapel
Cheadle Hulme
Handforth

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VT 390

Established Member
Wednesday 4th September

Gathurst
Appley Bridge
Parbold
Meols Cop
Bescar Lane
Daisy Hill
Hag Fold
Atherton
Walkden
Moorside
Swinton (Manchester)
Bolton
Westhoughton
Hindley
Ince

VT 390

Established Member
Saturday 7th September

West Allerton
Mossley Hill
Edge Hill
Wavertree Technology Park
Broad Green
Thatto Heath
Eccleston Park
Prescot
Whiston
Rainhill
Lea Green
St Helens Junction
Earlestown
Newton-le-Willows
Patricroft
Mauldeth Road
Burnage
Gatley
Heald Green
Sandbach

A Challenge

Established Member
Saturday 7th October
Nunnery Lane
Cricket Inn Road
Hyde Park
Fitzalan Square / Ponds Forge
Castle Square
Cathedral
City Hall
West Street

University of Sheffield

djpontrack

Just me at Teesside Airport this week. No-one else on or off. I walked there from Dinsdale... not a bad little stroll.

I did it the other way a couple of months ago and I was also the only passenger too.
Did you pop into the Oak Tree Inn on Yarm Road? It’s a nice place to have a quick pint and make use of the facilities.

Wolvercoter

I did it the other way a couple of months ago and I was also the only passenger too.
Did you pop into the Oak Tree Inn on Yarm Road? It’s a nice place to have a quick pint and make use of the facilities.

I was tempted to pop into the pub but wanted to make sure I found the station so kept going. I got there with about 30 mins to spare which was ideal for taking pics and enjoying the general decay and dereliction of the station.

Thinking of trying to tick British Steel Redcar off later in the week... but not really sure I want to spend 1hr 20mins there. Do you know if I can leave the station?

VT 390

Established Member
Thinking of trying to tick British Steel Redcar off later in the week... but not really sure I want to spend 1hr 20mins there. Do you know if I can leave the station?
If you go via the morning service then you will only have about a 30 minute wait between trains which is more than enougth time for a visit to the station if everything is on time.
You are not supposed to leave the station and there are signs that say this but nothing to stop you leaving if you really wanted to but I would not recommend it, also one of the exits has been bricked up so you would not get very far that way but there may be other routes.
DSC_0208.JPG DSC_0157.JPG

Kite159

Veteran Member
Just me at Teesside Airport this week. No-one else on or off. I walked there from Dinsdale... not a bad little stroll.

Did you go via the road or the nature reserve?

----------

Regarding British Steel Redcar, there is a chair in the little waiting area. Personally I wouldn't leave the station footprint but I believe there is still an overgrown footpath leading towards the site exit, exit the station on the south side and turn right. The security tend to leave alone unless you get spotted off the station. The morning services require an overnight stay in the area or an early morning train from York/Newcastle.

If doing the evening trains, do it sooner rather than later, as I would imagine an hour and a bit there when it's a bit dark won't be much fun

Wolvercoter

If you go via the morning service then you will only have about a 30 minute wait between trains which is more than enougth time for a visit to the station if everything is on time.
You are not supposed to leave the station and there are signs that say this but nothing to stop you leaving if you really wanted to but I would not recommend it, also one of the exits has been bricked up so you would not get very far that way but there may be other routes.
View attachment 68339 View attachment 68340

Thanks for the tips and the pics. I think that if I do go, I will stay on the station. Can't do the morning trip so it will have to be the afternoon (if any).

Did you go via the road or the nature reserve?

----------

Regarding British Steel Redcar, there is a chair in the little waiting area. Personally I wouldn't leave the station footprint but I believe there is still an overgrown footpath leading towards the site exit, exit the station on the south side and turn right. The security tend to leave alone unless you get spotted off the station. The morning services require an overnight stay in the area or an early morning train from York/Newcastle.

If doing the evening trains, do it sooner rather than later, as I would imagine an hour and a bit there when it's a bit dark won't be much fun

I went to Teesside Airport from Dinsdale via the road... didn't know about the nature reserve. Whilst planning this trip, I checked via Google maps to ensure there was a footpath!

As for British Steel Redcar, I may try one afternoon this week. Thank you for the advice... I will take a book with me and stay on the station!

Wolvercoter

A week in the North East saw me tick off 24 stations, including Teesside Airport and British Steel Redcar!! (Thanks to Kite159 and VT390 for their advice regarding the latter - it was pretty grim but I survived!) RTT not showing any calling trains at British Steel Redcar from December - is the service being withdrawn or am I missing something?

06/09
No. 815 - Durham

08/09
No. 816 - Teesside Airport
No. 817 - Eaglescliffe

09/09
No. 818 - Manors

10/09
No. 819 - Sunderland
No. 820 - Heworth

12/09
No. 821 - Yarm
No. 822 - Longbeck
No. 823 - Marske
No. 824 - Redcar Central
No. 825 - South Bank
No. 826 - Saltburn
No. 827 - British Steel Redcar

13/09
No. 828 - Hexham
No. 829 - Corbridge

14/09
No. 830 - Bishop Auckland
No. 831 - Heighington
No. 832 - Newton Aycliffe
No. 833 - Shildon
No. 834 - North Road
No. 835 - Wylam
No. 836 - Prudhoe
No. 837 - Blaydon
No. 838 - Dunston

Kite159

Veteran Member
A week in the North East saw me tick off 24 stations, including Teesside Airport and British Steel Redcar!! (Thanks to Kite159 and VT390 for their advice regarding the latter - it was pretty grim but I survived!) RTT not showing any calling trains at British Steel Redcar from December - is the service being withdrawn or am I missing something?

Service is being suspended and the station "mothballed" similar to IBM.
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/redcar-british-steel-to-stop-being-served-temporarily.192037/

VT 390

Established Member
Saturday 21st September

Holmes Chapel
Chelford
Goostrey
Alderley Edge
Styal
Poynton
Bramhall
Adlington (Cheshire)
Prestbury
Congleton

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
21/9

Bishops Lydeard (via GWR)

Minehead (West Somerset Railway)
Doniford Halt (West Somerset Railway)

All (currently rail served) national rail stations in England boarded & alighted at. :)

(By currently rail served it excludes the 'mothballed' Man Utd FC Halt where I need to board, the bus replacement stations of Wedgwood & Barlaston, and the grey area of Newhaven Marine)

Cletus

Established Member
21/9

Bishops Lydeard (via GWR)

Minehead (West Somerset Railway)
Doniford Halt (West Somerset Railway)

All (currently rail served) national rail stations in England boarded & alighted at. :)

(By currently rail served it excludes the 'mothballed' Man Utd FC Halt where I need to board, the bus replacement stations of Wedgwood & Barlaston, and the grey area of Newhaven Marine)

Show off :lol:

Cletus

Established Member
20/09/19

Disley
Bamford
Hathersage
Furness Vale
Whaley Bridge

21/09/19

Reddish South
Reddish North
Woodley
Ryder Brow
Gorton
Hyde North (station 1205)

Velopark (Metrolink)

Kite159

Veteran Member

The bells of mostly victory will sound in a couple weeks time, until Dolgarrog gets rebuilt (as it currently falls into the "not currently rail served" group).

Needed to put that on twitter to prevent someone bringing up one of those oddities, or a station which is technically open but not served by rail (ie Newhaven Marine)

agbrs_Jack

09/09/2019:
Archway (LU)
London St Pancras International
Paris Gare du Nord
Saint-Michel Notre-Dame
Châtelet - Les Halles
Paris Gare de Lyon
Genève Cornavin
Morges
Apples
Tuilerie
Lausanne
Zürich HB
Chur
Chur West

10/09/2019:
Landquart
Thalwil
Luzern
Arth-Goldau
Arth-Goldau RB
Rigi Kulm
Rigi Wölfertschen-First
Pfäffikon SZ
Ziegelbrücke
Sargans

11/09/2019:
Buchs SG
Nendeln
Forst Hilti
Bern
Kandersteg
Spiez
Thun
Arosa

12/09/2019:
Rorschach
Heiden
St Gallen St Fiden
Konstanz
Kreuzlingen
Weinfelden
Zürich Flughafen
Zürich Oerlikon
Zürich Altstetten
Othmarsingen
Dottikon-Dintikon (Great name!)
Olten
Basel SBB
Basel St Johann
St-Louis
Strasbourg
13/09/2019:
Aéroport Charles-de-Gaulle 2 - TGV
Lille Europe

gnolife

Established Member
28/09
Whitehaven
Harrington
Parton
Aspatria
Flimby
Dalston
Maryport
Riding Mill
Brampton
Haltwhistle

alexf380

Established Member
27th September:

Ardrossan Harbour
Barassie
Dalry
Fairlie
Glengarnock
Howwood (Renfrewshire)
Irvine
Johnstone
Lochwinnoch
Milliken Park
Saltcoats
Troon

Ayrshire Coast lines now complete, 268/355 (75.49%) of Scotrail shacks scratched.

Kite159

Veteran Member
27th September:

Ardrossan Harbour
Barassie
Dalry
Fairlie
Glengarnock
Howwood (Renfrewshire)
Irvine
Johnstone
Lochwinnoch
Milliken Park
Saltcoats
Troon

Ayrshire Coast lines now complete, 268/355 (75.49%) of Scotrail shacks scratched.

#Allthe380s!

Kite159

Veteran Member
5th October

Plockton (B)
Duncraig (A)

All the (currently rail served national rail) stations in Great Britain, boarded & alighted from a train at.

Time to put my feet up in this little waiting shelter at Duncraig for the next Kyle of Lochash service.

VT 390

Established Member
Saturday 12th October

Heathrow Terminal 4
Southall
Heathrow Terminal 5
Hanwell
South Greenford
Drayton Green
Castle Bar Park
Acton Main Line
Hackbridge