• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sheffield Supertram & Tram Train news

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GardenRail

Is there any news on post Stagecoach branding or livery?
That's the least of their worries. Went on the Sheffield Tram the other day for a ride. Not done it for many many years. The Infrastructure of the network is absolutely deplorable. It's tatty, run down, litter everywhere.... The shelters are falling to bits, everything needs a bit of paint. What happened?

Now it's going to the council too, I think it will get worse. Everything Sheffield Council touch, turns to ruin, the main one, Sheffield City Centre.

Give it a couple of years, and the council will seek to get rid of conductors, in a cost savings measure.

snalty

That's the least of their worries. Went on the Sheffield Tram the other day for a ride. Not done it for many many years. The Infrastructure of the network is absolutely deplorable. It's tatty, run down, litter everywhere.... The shelters are falling to bits, everything needs a bit of paint. What happened?

Now it's going to the council too, I think it will get worse. Everything Sheffield Council touch, turns to ruin, the main one, Sheffield City Centre.

Give it a couple of years, and the council will seek to get rid of conductors, in a cost savings measure.

I don't think Stagecoach will have had much financial; incentive for the past year or so to maintain things to a high standard so were probably focussed on maximising profits.

Controversially, I don't mind them getting rid of conductors if it enables more integrated ticketing. It will also likely increase revenue, as on the early trams from Hillsbrough towards town I often don't pay for the ticket due to the conductor being unable to make their way down the tram.

JD2168

The reason the conductor’s arrived in the first place was the ticketing machines at the stops were unreliable, broken & vandalised. I can’t see the removal of conductor’s for a long while. The stops could do with a lick of paint but it is the same with the normal bus stops as they are in mostly the same condition.

GardenRail

The reason the conductor’s arrived in the first place was the ticketing machines at the stops were unreliable, broken & vandalised. I can’t see the removal of conductor’s for a long while. The stops could do with a lick of paint but it is the same with the normal bus stops as they are in mostly the same condition.
Hopefully, you're correct. But if Manchester manages, then so can little Sheffield. A lot of Manchesters system is, shall we say, rough.

MCR247

Established Member
Hopefully, you're correct. But if Manchester manages, then so can little Sheffield. A lot of Manchesters system is, shall we say, rough.
Manchester may manage, but Nottingham’s big fare evasion problem might put them off.

IBLRG

One of our members who is on Twitter, has highlighted this poll conducted on the Woodhead Route twitter page.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240116-020149_X.jpg
    Screenshot_20240116-020149_X.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 186

Arkeeos

One of our members who is on Twitter, has highlighted this poll conducted on the Woodhead Route twitter page.
I'm sure the precisely 2 people within reasonable proximity to the route will be grateful. I doubt this route has a business case, any money spent on it would be better spent expanding the current network into areas with reasonable population density.

Also nitpick, but it wouldn't be a tram train, it would just be a tram, since it wouldn't share the track with trains.

ALEMASTER

It is nearly 30 years old. Stagecoach have maintained the system whilst they have held the operating concession but it is life expired and needs renewing. A good proportion of the embedded rail has already been done but a much bigger renewals programme is planned. that will see things like the electrical supply, ballasted track, control systems and more replaced and the trams refurbished. The new operating company is owned by the South Yorkshire Mayoral Combined Authority (SYMCA) - not the council - and they have some government funding to make a start on that renewal programme. Some smaller tram stop improvement projects have also been completed or are underway with third party funding - Shalesmoor was funded by developers, Carbrook was funded by Ikea and Arena/Olympic Legacy Park is just starting.

Rough - Manchester Metrolink is reportedly like the wild west on some of its trams at night with no staff on board. As others have said, Nottingham has something of a fare evasion issue since replacing conductors with self service vending machines, something they did because they considered the expanded system was too big to operate with conductors.

A Tram Train from Stocksbridge to Sheffield Centre and beyond would be a good thing - faster and more reliable than by road - although if it remained single track all the way the frequency wouldn't be that attractive, it would also need a bus link and car park at the Stocksbridge end to connect the terminus with where in the town people actually live! I'd also be wary that the reason bus services in Stocksbridge have been cut back in recent years is they were losing a lot of money!

I don't think Stagecoach will have had much financial; incentive for the past year or so to maintain things to a high standard so were probably focussed on maximising profits.

Controversially, I don't mind them getting rid of conductors if it enables more integrated ticketing. It will also likely increase revenue, as on the early trams from Hillsbrough towards town I often don't pay for the ticket due to the conductor being unable to make their way down the tram.
What do you mean by more integrated ticketing? There are already daily, weekly and monthly passes available that include bus and train travel as well as tram only options. You can buy oasses online, on the Stagecoach app or at bus interchange vending machines plus some are sold by conductors too. From what I can see the big issue for conductors now is the number of passengers paying by card and the banks being slow authorising transactions. From what I'm told the new operating company is getting new ticket machines that should be quicker at taking card payment which would help.

Maximising profits? - minimising losses more like! SYMCA is suggesting the new publicly owned company is expecting to lose around £6m in its first year, but hoping losses will reduce if energy prices fall and passenger numbers increase.

Is there any news on post Stagecoach branding or livery?
SYMCA haven't announced their new brand for the trams yet, although you may notice the Stagecoach logo is already being removed from trams (so just Supertram rather than Stagecoach Supertram) with the Travel South Yorkshire logo remaining. This may suggest there won't be new liveries straight away.

Last edited:

snalty

What do you mean by more integrated ticketing? There are already daily, weekly and monthly passes available that include bus and train travel as well as tram only options. You can buy oasses online, on the Stagecoach app or at bus interchange vending machines plus some are sold by conductors too. From what I can see the big issue for conductors now is the number of passengers paying by card and the banks being slow authorising transactions. From what I'm told the new operating company is getting new ticket machines that should be quicker at taking card payment which would help.

Yeah fair enough, I don't suppose I meant integrated, I just want pay as you go with automatic capping. I often buy a day tramrider anticipating further journeys and then don't actually utilise it. I just want to be able to use public transport and get charged the cheapest possible price. I've read about the new ticket machines in the Sheffield Tribune, hopefully should speed things up a bit. It was daft of Stagecoach to get a system that needed online authorisation for public transport in the first place.

ricoblade

It is nearly 30 years old. Stagecoach have maintained the system whilst they have held the operating concession but it is life expired and needs renewing. A good proportion of the embedded rail has already been done but a much bigger renewals programme is planned. that will see things like the electrical supply, ballasted track, control systems and more replaced and the trams refurbished. The new operating company is owned by the South Yorkshire Mayoral Combined Authority (SYMCA) - not the council - and they have some government funding to make a start on that renewal programme. Some smaller tram stop improvement projects have also been completed or are underway with third party funding - Shalesmoor was funded by developers, Carbrook was funded by Ikea and Arena/Olympic Legacy Park is just starting.

Rough - Manchester Metrolink is reportedly like the wild west on some of its trams at night with no staff on board. As others have said, Nottingham has something of a fare evasion issue since replacing conductors with self service vending machines, something they did because they considered the expanded system was too big to operate with conductors.

A Tram Train from Stocksbridge to Sheffield Centre and beyond would be a good thing - faster and more reliable than by road - although if it remained single track all the way the frequency wouldn't be that attractive, it would also need a bus link and car park at the Stocksbridge end to connect the terminus with where in the town people actually live! I'd also be wary that the reason bus services in Stocksbridge have been cut back in recent years is they were losing a lot of money!

Maximising profits? - minimising losses more like! SYMCA is suggesting the new publicly owned company is expecting to lose around £6m in its first year, but hoping losses will reduce if energy prices fall and passenger numbers increase.

SYMCA haven't announced their new brand for the trams yet, although you may notice the Stagecoach logo is already being removed from trams (so just Supertram rather than Stagecoach Supertram) with the Travel South Yorkshire logo remaining. This may suggest there won't be new liveries straight away.
Thanks for the detailed replies. A couple of points:

- Is there a planned upgrade to real time tram information on an app and/or at tram stops (or even any information at the Hillsorough stop)?

- In the summer I got a few free rides as the conductors' machines were overheating so they need to take that into account with any upgrade!

py_megapixel

Established Member
What do you mean by more integrated ticketing? There are already daily, weekly and monthly passes available that include bus and train travel as well as tram only options. You can buy oasses online, on the Stagecoach app or at bus interchange vending machines plus some are sold by conductors too.
True integrated ticketing would entail no tram-only or bus-only tickets, e.g. if a ticket is valid from the city to Meadowhall on the tram it's also valid on the bus.

- Is there a planned upgrade to real time tram information on an app and/or at tram stops (or even any information at the Hillsorough stop)?
West Street in the direction of the city centre is also missing an information screen

Snow1964

Established Member
Looks like Prior Info Notice for tender to life extend / refurb is out

1 buyer​

Description​

This Prior Information Notice (PIN) is to advise prospective suppliers of the upcoming market engagement for the refurbishment of 25 trams owned by the South Yorkshire Mayoral Combined Authority (SYMCA) and to invite them to participate in a pre-tender market consultation exercise. The aim of the exercise is to provide early information and gain feedback to help inform the proposed procurement and contracting strategy. The South Yorkshire Mayoral Combined Authority (SYMCA) is a formal partnership of councils that shapes policy and leads on decision-making. Formed in 2014, the constituent members of the Mayoral Combined Authority are Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley, and Doncaster councils. SYMCA own the South Yorkshire Supertram System, which commenced operation in 1994. YMCA is now embarking on wide ranging renewal programme of Supertram that will see significant investment and improvement across all aspects of the system over the coming years. a. South Yorkshire Combined Mayoral Authority owns a fleet of 25 Siemens trams which were manufactured in 1996. The trams are 37m in length and comprise 3 cars fastened together with 4 bogies. b. These vehicles have suffered varying degrees of corrosion to the underframe structure and require repair. The process is likely to involve removal of most of the vehicle interiors and underframe equipment, including removal of the wooden floors. c. A small number of electrical and mechanical improvements and repairs are intended to be included, taking advantage of the stripped-down nature of the vehicle.

Total Quantity or Scope​

MARKET ENGAGEMENT EVENT a. This document and the planned subsequent market engagement events are in advance of any procurement competition with the aim of: • Informing the market of the current requirements, scope, and timescales for the repairs. • To gain insights into the capabilities of the repair market. • To understand how the market believes the desired outcomes could be achieved from them gaining an awareness of the intended work scope and the aspirations for the Supertram system. This includes technical and commercial/procurement considerations. • To understand challenges and concerns within the industry and how SYMCA may shape work packages to suit the market. • To gauge market appetite for the intended scope of services. • To gain an appreciation of expectations of commercial terms and conditions associated with this type of service. b. Following receipt of registration of interest (details below) interested parties will receive a questionnaire which they are requested to complete and return by the date indicated therein. c. The meeting will include a presentation summary of the project and a Q&A session for questions by both the Authority and the registered party. A visit to the depot to inspect typical trams will also be organised. The meeting will take place between 26th February and 1st March 2024. Further details will be provided following registering of interest. d. Please register your interest for the event by sending a message via the ProContract messaging platform including the name and contact details for the proposed attendees (max 2 per organisation) and whether you wish to attend in person or online. 3. IMPORTANT INFORMATION a. Interested parties will not be prejudiced by any response or failure to attend the market engagement event and response to this notice does not guarantee any invitation to participate in any future public procurement process that SYMCA may conduct. b. At this stage, this is purely a market engagement exercise. Any subsequent procurement will be advertised separately and all organisations wishing to participate must respond to the contract notice advertising the procurement when this is published. The responses received during the market analysis exercise will not be considered as part of any future bid response. The procurement remains subject to approval. c. This notice does not constitute a call for competition to procure any services for SYMCA and SYMCA is not bound to accept any proposals offered. SYMCA is not liable for any costs, fees or expenses incurred by any party participating in the market engagement event. Any procurement of any services by SYMCA in due course will be carried out strictly in accordance with the provisions of the Public Contracts Regulations 2015. d. SYMCA does not intend to be bound by any information at this stage and makes no commitment to incorporate any recommendations or suggestions within the final procurement documents.

CPV Codes​

• 34600000 - Railway and tramway locomotives and rolling stock and associated parts
  • 50222000 - Repair and maintenance services of rolling stock
  • 50224000 - Reconditioning services of rolling stock

Other Information​

** PREVIEW NOTICE, please check Find a Tender for full details. **

Reference​

• ocds-h6vhtk-043447
  • FTS 002465-2024

Domains​

Status​

This notice describes a possible future purchase.
There is no specified closing date.

History​

• 24 Jan 2024 - Prior Information Notice

JD2168

Due to a broken rail at Manor Top today the Blue route has been running only between Sheffield Station & Malin Bridge & the Purple route has been suspended all day. Tickets have been valid on local bus services.

syorksdeano

Due to a broken rail at Manor Top today the Blue route has been running only between Sheffield Station & Malin Bridge & the Purple route has been suspended all day. Tickets have been valid on local bus services.
Saying it may take a few days to fix

JD2168

There is now a replacement bus service running numbered B1 between Fitzalan Square & Halfway Tram Stop, it runs every 15 minutes daytimes & every 20 minutes at evening & Sunday run by First using B9TL Gemini’s & StreetDecks.

GardenRail

Everyone would like to.... Bit this is the mayor that has watched Sheffield become an absolute, wrecked, litter infested dump. It won't happen any time soon.

Nean

Everyone would like to.... Bit this is the mayor that has watched Sheffield become an absolute, wrecked, litter infested dump. It won't happen any time soon.

Except those are generally local council responsibilities (and mainly the infamous farmed out Amey contract). Also expanding the Supertram Network will require central government funding (good luck getting that, even from the magic money pot "released" from HS2). And also he was only elected in 2022 when the urban decline of the City has been going on for a lot longer (and again, the schemes to reverse that are local council driven, not SYMCA).

You're currently gunning at the wrong organisation, when a lot of those problems are caused by central government underfunding local authorities (I can't find it now but I read the other day that Sheff CC now has effectively 50% of its spending power per person compared to 2010), or people not voting for responsible councillors to run the organisation effectively. The argument for expanding the Supertram is one that needs to happen in Whitehall primarily, which is the job of the Mayor (to advocate to central government and business partners the interests of the region), however until we see a change of government his petitions are likely to fall on deaf ears.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
In terms of a rebrand, it's high time they dropped the "super" part of the name. It was cringeworthy when the system opened in the 1990s and it still is now.

py_megapixel

Established Member
In terms of a rebrand, it's high time they dropped the "super" part of the name. It was cringeworthy when the system opened in the 1990s and it still is now.
I think ideally they'd drop the "tram" part as well. Bring all trams and buses under one umbrella and properly integrate the system.

Not going to happen, though, is it...

johnnychips

Established Member
Stagecoach have said that they will be handing operation over on March 22nd and tickets bought before will not be accepted from that date.

I always thought it was perhaps subconsciously influenced by the name of the band ‘Supertramp’.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Stagecoach have said that they will be handing operation over on March 22nd and tickets bought before will not be accepted from that date.
An excellent example of the "screw the passengers" approach we've come to expect from public transport in Sheffield and in the UK more widely. They should either offer pro-rata refunds or pay TSY to accept their stupid operator-specific tickets (that IMO should never have existed in the first place) for their stated period of validity.

SteveyBee131

Saying it may take a few days to fix
Just in case anyone needs to know, was in the area today and it's still not fixed. Replacement buses observed between Fitzalan Square and Halfway.

Lemmy282

I always thought it was perhaps subconsciously influenced by the name of the band ‘Supertramp’.
I worked for the council side of the Supertram project during its construction and I had a poster of the bands "Crisis? What Crisis? album on the wall behind my desk, always caused a few smiles!