• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shock! Bubble Car manager seen derailing coaching stock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxster

Established Member
Is it me or is this now an MSN style conversation between 4 people?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bill EWS

Hi,
Talking about Narrow gauge and the GCR remined me of a picture I took back in the 70's at Loughborough Central, which shows a narrow gauge line on the up side, running alongside the platform. Whatever became of this little line?

Here is the photo....

LoughboroughCntrlUpPltfrm1970s.jpg

Here are two more photos of the Down platform showing it as it was back then.

LoughboroughCntrlDownPltfrmSouth197.jpg

LoughboroughCntrlStnDownPltfrm1970s.jpg

And to conclude. The steam loco 'King Hacon' was at Loughborough at that time, which the photo below shows just leaving the south end of the station. Likewise, is this steam loco still around? I haven't seen it since.

KingHaconLocoLoughborough21970s.jpg

KingHaconLocoLoughborough11970s.jpg

These photos were almost a loss due to the very first M3 E4 home processing transparency film of the time and they have been saved, to a fashion, thanks to computer enhancement and clean-up.

Hope you find these of some interest and that someone can answer my enquiries.

Cheers.

BillEWS.

Coxster

Established Member
And to conclude. The steam loco 'King Hacon' was at Loughborough at that time, which the photo below shows just leaving the south end of the station. Likewise, is this steam loco still around? I haven't seen it since.
It is now operational at http://www.bressingham.co.uk/ageofsteam/ageofsteam.htm

From http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/locos/ekh7.htm
Number 377, King Haakon 7 was the last of the 21c class. Built in Sweden in 1919, it was the successor of the earlier class 11, designed by David Jones of the Highland Railway, and built by Dubs of Glasgow in 1891. In April 1940 it hauled a rescue train for King Haakon VII, his son Olav and the government northwards to safety from advancing German forces during the invasion of Norway. King Haakon 7 was imported by Gerald Pagano of the Norwegian Locomotive Preservation Group. It was in Britain by June 1970 and arrived on the GCR on March 27th 1973. It worked the first passenger train to Quorn on June 24th 1973 for a lobster bake.

It was sold and left for Bressingham on April 21st 1981. It was the last operational standard gauge steam locomotive at Bressingham, when it's boiler certificate expired in 1995.

Bill EWS

Hi Coxster and 960012,
Thanks for your comments as to 'King Hacon's' whereabouts. Nice to know that it is still up and running at Bressingham and being well looked after. I was a little disappointed in the total lack of photographs on their web site, which is very unusual. However, there is a good picture on the Great Central Railway web site. The loco has a very interesting history.

The 'other' GCR looks quite impressive for a small gauge railway. It looks as if it is a bit out of the way but I shall have to see if I can get round that way before long.

Perhaps someone will mention the whereabouts of the narrow guage line at Loughborough, before long. Perhaps it is somewhere else on the GCR?

Cheers.

BillEWS.

kettlefan

Hi Coxster and 960012,
Thanks for your comments as to 'King Hacon's' whereabouts. Nice to know that it is still up and running at Bressingham and being well looked after. I was a little disappointed in the total lack of photographs on their web site, which is very unusual. However, there is a good picture on the Great Central Railway web site. The loco has a very interesting history.

The 'other' GCR looks quite impressive for a small gauge railway. It looks as if it is a bit out of the way but I shall have to see if I can get round that way before long.

Perhaps someone will mention the whereabouts of the narrow guage line at Loughborough, before long. Perhaps it is somewhere else on the GCR?

Cheers.

BillEWS.

wahey King Hakon thats going back a fair bit (I read that at that time the GCR still had double track but BR only let them use 1!)

as a modeller of Scandinavian railways I was most interested in those lovely old 4 wheelers!

Established Member
ROFL!!! trust you matt

Oh guess wat!!!!

Im borrowing Toby from Nigel for a while to keep the BMR going!!!!

Established Member
Nah keep going we can still talk about mindless rubbish!

I have emailed The owner of Toby asking when he can drop it over so might be pretty soon people! Matt Halfterm u ave to come stay for a couple of days wiv mike we can have a gala!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.